Amazing Entry Level Design Opportunity!

Post image for Amazing Entry Level Design Opportunity!

Here at Free People, our design team is made up of 40 people. Though most studied design in college, several did not. Their successes are the same regardless of their degrees. In fact, our two most senior designers majored in computer science and art history.

image2933

Please submit a project that shows both your love and understanding of the Free People product and your vision of what the product should look like.

You can sew, sketch, collage…anything you’d like…to clearly express your creativity.

We will be accepting projects until January 30th. Please email a photo attachment (preferably a JPEG) of your project to: designlove@freepeople.com

The designers whose work we love may have an opportunity to travel to Philadelphia to interview and spend a day with us.

We are very excited to find some extremely talented young designers to add to our growing team!

image final 2

Tags: , ,

Comments

Kelsey -January 6, 2011, 5:16PM

Do you have to be able to sew / knit?

Lisa -January 6, 2011, 5:25PM

I have a jewelry business would that count if I put the items with an outfit i put together that I thought represented free people?

janie -January 6, 2011, 5:40PM

Is it necessary to live in Phily?

Elvy -January 6, 2011, 5:45PM

Do you have to be American citizen to apply?

fp julia -January 6, 2011, 5:49PM

hi! we are looking for people who love to knit, sew and design clothing. as mentioned above, if we love your work, you might have the opportunity to travel to philly for an interview. you do not have to live in philly or be an american citizen but you would have to move here for the job.

Danielle DeFiore -January 6, 2011, 5:57PM

If you need a photographer for any upcoming projects, let me know! I’d love the opportunity!

Cameryn -January 6, 2011, 7:39PM

Is there any information we need to attach with our photographs?

JolieLaid -January 6, 2011, 7:50PM

Are you looking for any handbag designers???

Tiffany -January 6, 2011, 7:57PM

Looking forward to seeing what your new designers turn up with.

XOOX,

Amy -January 6, 2011, 9:54PM

What a wonderful opportunity!!! i love that you are willing to consider any creative “free people” who are following their dreams, regardless of degree!

Kim -January 6, 2011, 10:04PM

Hi there:) i was just wondering the age limit on this?

Jane -January 7, 2011, 3:19AM

Aww, this opportunity is amazing. I wish I could apply! Well, good luck to anyone else who does :)

Joenna -January 7, 2011, 4:07AM

I just wanna be there its my dream!

Tina -January 7, 2011, 7:46AM

Too bad the job is only offered half way around the world. I live in Sweden and I think it’s about time you open up a store here in Sweden – I can be your store manager and contact her in Sweden! I love knitting, crafting, sewing, crocheting and all that jazz, so decorating the store and keeping it Free People-style would be the perfect job for me.

sam -January 7, 2011, 1:24PM

When will the designers be contacted concerning their ideas?

fp julia -January 7, 2011, 1:55PM

hi guys! this is an entry level, out of college job. we will be accepting projects until january 30th.

alexandra -January 7, 2011, 3:34PM

I’m also wondering if you have to know how to sew/ draw/ work with CAD, as most design positions require this.

Anonymous -January 7, 2011, 4:34PM

Love this picture all the girls look great…..

LivinFree -January 8, 2011, 2:21AM

Is this opportunity strictly for fashion designers? or does it it include graphic design?

molly -January 9, 2011, 12:12PM

I think this is such an amazing oppurtunity, will this competition be held yearly?

Mary -January 9, 2011, 1:00PM

I too would like to know if this includes graphic design at all?

fp julia -January 10, 2011, 10:20AM

hi! we are looking for clothing designers. i don’t think this is a yearly thing but we’re always hiring for other positions in the home office, check out our job site:http://hostedjobs.openhire.com/epostings/submit.cfm?fuseaction=app.welcome&category_id=9930&company_id=15602&version=4&startflag=1&parent=Home%20Office&levelid1=9930

Jamie -January 10, 2011, 11:02AM

What does your sewing/knitting level have to be? Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced?

TouréMacfoy -January 10, 2011, 9:54PM

What..[!] seriously, Yes!!
I’m a design illustrator/stylist that just graduated from Milano last year. I’ve been looking for an opportunity like this for a while now[about a year]. Unfortunately the job market for those of us that have just graduated has been virtually non existent lol, but fortunately now there is this. I love vintage, and after looking through all you blog and everything[your style], i cld definitely see myself styling with you guy. So a big thanks for this opportunity, on behave of everyone like moi.
perfect. Free the ppl.
-Pace

TouréMacfoy -January 10, 2011, 10:05PM

&Happy New Year ;’D

fp julia -January 11, 2011, 9:15AM

hey guys!
Sewing ability isn’t necessarily a MUST, but it is certainly a nice-to-have. If you are very creative, curious, and talented in other aspects of design, sewing skills can be developed.

in terms of importance for FP, drawing would come first, and then sewing, and then CAD.

Brandy Lewis -January 11, 2011, 10:21AM

Wow! This sounds like an awesome opportunity! I answered “Yes” to all of the questions in your post :) I’ve been looking for a position with an established fashion or interior design company. Is the image just below the post title an example of what the project submission should look like??? I just started a blog http://www.gushandswoon.blogspot.com in hopes of sharing my talent and passion with others.

fp julia -January 11, 2011, 11:09AM

hi! no the image is just a collage i made for inspiration. be creative and do whatever you feel best demonstrates your idea of free people and expresses your creativity!

Yulia -January 12, 2011, 11:33PM

HI! I have never taken art or design classes, but I have a talent for drawing fashion designs, and a passion for creating beautiful things. Every day I think of something new. I would love to know, if I send a few of my sketches in, would it be considered? And, I am a very quick learner! Thanks:)
-Y

Hillary Kemplin -January 13, 2011, 11:35AM

this is such an amazing opportunity! can’t wait to turn in my project :)

Angie -January 14, 2011, 3:33PM

I just can’t seem to choose one idea from the barrage of projects flowing through my mind! This challenge has got me working again. Even if I’m not considered, (which I hope to be, of course) this invitation to create has pulled me from a creative rut. Thanks, ya’ll.
-ang

tara -January 14, 2011, 4:27PM

Can’t wait!

alexandra -January 18, 2011, 6:28PM

Unfortunately I am still in college! Is there any chance this can be a kind of internship? I have always wanted to be apart of FreePeople.

flor -January 20, 2011, 3:36PM

Heyy !! i think the email adress is wrong, i try sending something there but got a Delivery Status Notification (Failure) =( please check it!!

flor -January 20, 2011, 3:41PM
Sole Alberti -January 25, 2011, 10:21PM

Hi! I was wondering if you look through all the projects that are sent to you for this opportunity? I sent mine *through “you send it” and hopefully you can open that. Hope to hear from you from you either way. I was born to be happy and a FREE people designer!

Love sprinkles and magic to u,

Soledad Alberti

Sole Alberti -January 25, 2011, 10:39PM

May the long time sun shine upon you
All love surround you
And the pure light within you
Guide your way on…

kelsey -January 26, 2011, 12:39PM

Hi!!! I’m graduating from a Masters program in August and have my undergrad degree in fashion design. When do you think the best time to apply for jobs will be? So excited about these opportunities!!!

Noelle -January 27, 2011, 6:19PM

Hi, I’m also having problems sending my application. I keep getting a delivery failure notification.
Is there another way I can submit my project?

Siddiq -January 28, 2011, 10:38PM

Hello again, I’ve been trying to send my application, but I keep receiving a delivery failure notification. I now see I’m not the only one which is relief, but how then do i send in my submission?..thanks a lot

Erica -January 30, 2011, 8:17PM

Hello,

The same thing happened to be when I tried to submit…is there another way?

Thank you for your help!

marcela -February 6, 2011, 1:23AM

when you guys gonna let us know who got the chance to go to phily for and interview?!!?!?