Our First Short Film: Roshambo

Post image for Our First Short Film: Roshambo

We have been waiting for so long to share this incredible short film with you all! Shot in conjunction with our February catalog, it stars Christopher Abbott from HBO’s Girls and model Sheila Marquez. Set to the gorgeous tune of Lord Huron’s “Ghost on the Shore,” the film follows the pair through a day in Brooklyn as they play roshambo (rock, paper, scissors), to determine their fate. It is romantic, beautifully shot, and feels so real you’ll be left on the edge of your seat, eager to know what happens next.  You’ll just have to wait and see! This is the first in a series of short films to come, so stay tuned. And, let us know in the comments what you think of the film, we would love to know! Do you think the couple ends up together?

FILM CREDITS
Director(s): Guy Aroch and Jonathan Doe
Creative Director(s): Free People and Brody Baker for Starworks Group
Concept By: Free People
Director of Photography: Carlos Veron
Producer: Starworks Group
Associate Producer: Connor Doherty for Starworks Group

Chris: Christopher Abbott
Sheila: Sheila Marquez

Post Production Co: The Mill
Editor: Ryan McKenna
Colorist: Damien Van Der Cruyssen
Producer: Carl Walters

Shop the February collection.

Tags: , , , ,

Comments

Liss -February 4, 2013, 8:49AM

Beautiful

alexxandra -February 4, 2013, 9:03AM

this was absolutely stunning! so natural, so real.
i live in brooklyn and seeing this beauty made me fall even more in love with my home.

Emma -February 4, 2013, 9:20AM

so beautiful and romantic! i love that it revolves around such a fun and silly game to determine their fate…it makes it much more realistic (or, at least, that’s what I’d like to believe). Plus, the scenes are beautiful.

Lauren -February 4, 2013, 9:41AM

I am totally head-over-heels in love with this short film! What a brilliant little way to show off not only the gorgeous Free People pieces, but also two beautiful people in a very realistic-looking relationship. I would like to imagine that falling in love would be exactly like this; romantic and silly with little games like Roshambo. Well done, Free People, and I can’t wait to see more short films! (Hopefully with more Christopher Abbott, please!)

Krysten -February 4, 2013, 9:45AM

LOVE that they used Roshambo. My husband and I did Rock, Paper, Scissors during our wedding ceremony to decide who would speak their handwritten vows first! :-D The fate of it was magical- my husband made us all cry! <3 this!!

Eva -February 4, 2013, 10:36AM

Love this…so magical <3

Victoria Luna -February 4, 2013, 11:02AM

aaawww <3 so so so cute. make more movies fp!!

olive -February 4, 2013, 11:07AM

Oh wow!!! This is so cute, the actors are just simply perfect. I love the natural beauty of them both, those style, the idea of rock scissor and paper. It is poetic and so beautiful!

Olive xox

Madeline -February 4, 2013, 11:17AM

This was such a beautiful short! It felt so real, reminds me of the love I share with another..

Aron Terrell -February 4, 2013, 11:37AM

Loved this gah. Of course they end up together! How could they not. Awesome short film. Can’t wait for more!

Aurelija -February 4, 2013, 12:12PM

Stunning and breathtaking

Anna -February 4, 2013, 12:20PM

Aww!! I didn’t want it to end!! So beautiful <3

Marina -February 4, 2013, 12:40PM

amazing!!!

anne -February 4, 2013, 12:50PM

that was amazing! loved it :D

Byer -February 4, 2013, 1:16PM

Beautiful film, gorgeous model & actor.

Have you posted anywhere the clothing/outfits she is wearing in this video? I love it all! Especially the tail hem grey shirt she’s wearing with the banded mini.

Byer -February 4, 2013, 1:17PM

Nevermind! I see it’s all on the FP website :) Cheers!

Katrina -February 4, 2013, 1:18PM

That was very well done. I like the editing and the little cliffhanger at the end. So beautiful and light-hearted.

b -February 4, 2013, 1:40PM

so whimsical& magical… ahhh being young&in love : )

Stephanie -February 4, 2013, 1:50PM

This was so beautiful. I was not prepared to be so emotional.

Maddie -February 4, 2013, 2:21PM

beautiful…the ease and joy in seeing only the perfect glimpses..lovely images

caitlyn harley -February 4, 2013, 2:54PM

i fell in love with this. so beautiful, it really took me on a soulful journey

Virginia -February 4, 2013, 3:24PM

Beautiful …very emotional.

Nicole -February 4, 2013, 3:31PM

Gave me chills! Absolutely stunning and so real. Amazing job!

Cierra -February 4, 2013, 3:31PM

LOVE THIS! Can’t wait for the next one :)

Mae264 -February 4, 2013, 4:11PM

i love it !

Maggie -February 4, 2013, 4:23PM

LOVE IT! Beautiful people, beautiful music, beautiful clothing, beautiful cinematography… can’t wait for more short films!

gretel -February 4, 2013, 4:32PM

I am in love.
Of course they end up together silly!

what are the words they say before they play roshambo? Are they counting in French? Spanish?
xo

Alex Salvesen -February 4, 2013, 4:37PM

So beautifully sweet! Perfect for February! <3

Divya -February 4, 2013, 4:40PM

If one loses in roshambo, the other wins, and if they both desire each other, there is no loss.

ellie -February 4, 2013, 4:43PM

ahh I love the lord huron melody in the background perfect setting music

Adi -February 4, 2013, 4:50PM

I loved it ! I got so into it I’m so mad it was so short! I’m looking forward to seeing more of this :-)

Paperstarz -February 4, 2013, 4:54PM

Breathtaking film! Love-LOVE it! So romantic and realistic. The characters are beautiful, but not over done or complicated. It is utterly sweet to me and dear since my husband and I play -ROCK PAPER SCISSORS SHOOT- to decide our fate at least once a week. We have been doing this since we got married 13 yrs ago.

Kayla -February 4, 2013, 5:40PM

Amazing! Beautiful!

Laur -February 4, 2013, 5:49PM

So cute! Reminds me a lot of me and my sweetheart <3

Robin -February 4, 2013, 5:54PM

Wonderful short film! Needs to become a Feature Film….or love story series…..
Beautiful!

Alexie -February 4, 2013, 6:13PM

love it <3

Taylor -February 4, 2013, 6:58PM

so beautiful! i could feel all of the emotions and it left me in tears, truly beautiful. can’t wait to see more!

K -February 4, 2013, 7:03PM

so beautiful…i love it

Alyssa -February 4, 2013, 7:08PM

I love this!

Julia -February 4, 2013, 7:41PM

that was so lovely!

Isabel -February 4, 2013, 7:41PM

So cute! make more of these!

Nasha -February 4, 2013, 7:43PM

Ahhh so sweet and the acting is so natural! and I want everything she is wearing! ;)

erin -February 4, 2013, 8:03PM

With all the sadness and tragedys in the news, its nice to see something so romantic and positive between two people who want what everyone wants and hopes for in their lifetime –to love and be loved.

Ashley -February 4, 2013, 8:22PM

That was such a “pull on your heart strings” kinda film. Please do more of these.

I’m dying to know where I can find the hat that Shiela is wearing in the last scene. It’s the hat I have been searching for but I can’t find it on your website. Help! (:

Katie -February 4, 2013, 8:39PM

I’ll be the first to say that I think this entire concept was beyond unrealistic and hackneyed. A scruffy artist type man runs around Brooklyn with a displaced, waifish looking French girl…how adorable! How original! How bohemian! They mumbled/whispered to each other the whole time…guess that’s just the language of love. This was way lame, Free People. But I’m not surprised. Ultimately, this video was poor attempt at showcasing your clothing and a huge waste of money. Why don’t you spend the time and money you spent on this “video series” to a charity?

Reina -February 4, 2013, 8:52PM

that was SUCHHH a cool ending. I’ve never thought about rock paper scissors in that way and I thought it was SOO creative and smart in that they closed their eyes at the end so as not to see right away what the other person choose, knowing what they choose. Can’t wait for the next one!

rhonna -February 4, 2013, 9:07PM

This is ……. perfect.
And, I mean perfect. As always, the clothes are so beautiful.
I love the music, New york city, and how the movie played out.
Thank you guys for sharing this! <3

Lauren -February 4, 2013, 9:26PM

LOVE! <3

Pia -February 4, 2013, 9:43PM

I can’t believe this is the FIRST! It was amazing! I mean perfect! I want to share it with everyone. I sent it to my boyfriend, it’s so beautiful. I also posted it on my blog! I just can’t get enough of everything you all at Free People do and create!

Kera -February 4, 2013, 10:49PM

That is everything I want from my life.

Anonymous -February 4, 2013, 11:59PM

I am going through a similar experience, I reached a level of intimacy that seems almost impossible to achieve in less than 24 hours. Silenced yelled at us when we stared at each other the next morning, but after a couple of weeks, in my case at least, I understood it was time to move on, and so I let her go in my mind, although I always knew I never actually had her, because we are ALL, free people.

Caterina -February 5, 2013, 12:30AM

Roshambo has been the couple’s way in revealing their fate, so I interpreted their last roshambo to be that of a tie, because they can no longer just rely on chance to develop their relationships, but rather their own decisions to reflect on their wants. It would be silly if they were to tie and then roshambo again because then it would lose it’s childish and playful quality and it would rather be a game of chicken as they wouldn’t want just one of them to be more invested in the relationship than the other. I really enjoyed the subtle complexity with the emphasis on limited dialogue and the audible rufflings of how their bodies meet and move together.

Punctuation Mark -February 5, 2013, 12:33AM

I have no words to describe the feeling i got when i saw this… it made me daydream of a very special someone… All i can say is thanks!

Angie Rask -February 5, 2013, 1:06AM

oh my goodness Free People. You never fail to amaze me. I literally got the chills at how beautiful the clothing looked in this film. Bravo!

Marly -February 5, 2013, 2:24AM

SO good, I’ve watched it three times today. Still can’t get over how much beauty and love it has for such a short film! Thank you free people!

Tatiana -February 5, 2013, 2:27AM

It was amazing, and made me wish I could be with my wonderful guy right this minute! Look forward to the next short video too.

Jessica -February 5, 2013, 3:03AM

Absolutely divine.

Jasmine -February 5, 2013, 3:34AM

Beautiful! Love it!

marnie -February 5, 2013, 3:39AM

this was absolutely breathtakingly beautiful.
so much love xo

aria -February 5, 2013, 7:34AM

So beautiful!!! I love the story and the magical feeling of the relationship they share … can’t wait for those other short films!!! :-). Love the catalog and the short!! But do they stay together?? :-)

Lola -February 5, 2013, 11:56AM

Que bello, se como se siento eso…

Gabrielle -February 5, 2013, 2:09PM

The lighting is very pretty. The girl is very pretty. Guy seems a decent actor from what I can tell. The clothes are romantic. There’s no chemistry, so the little love story doesn’t work. Nothing exiting about this short at all. Sorry, but stick to selling pretty, but over priced clothing FP… Your catalogs are however very nice. That’s working for you!

Gabrielle -February 5, 2013, 2:18PM

Katie, I read the other comments after I posted mine… Yes, charity could have been a much better choice. I didn’t want to sound as harsh as you, but I do agree with your ENTIRE perception. Please do not waste money on another short FP.

Malú -February 5, 2013, 4:01PM

Beautiful, and I loved that parts of it were in Spanish: “piedra, papel, o tijera.”
My husband and I play it just like that to decide where to go dinner ;)
Free People has my heart.

Lexi -February 5, 2013, 4:35PM

absolutely amazing. True art form, Chris is so gorgeous and mysterious it’s a pleasure to watch this beautiful short love film.

Elaine -February 5, 2013, 9:41PM

Gorgeous. Wonderful use of light. Beautiful storyline. Great way to showcase your clothes, FP! Can’t wait for the rest of the films! Thanks!

Chelsea -February 6, 2013, 12:00AM

Aching. Yearning. Well-done.

Anon -February 6, 2013, 12:11AM

@Katie – On a side note, FP is a company. They make a profit. The short was to create emotional investment by the audience to identify with an image or consume a persona, thus buy the product. That is what a company does. The actors do not talk because limited dialogue and limited ‘voice’ makes the audience place more of their own experience (or want of one) into the setting to invest. Can something not be beautiful and well-crafted regardless of the perception of intent? The short story is a commercial for their clothing. The blog is an interactive media for the product. The image is carefully crafted and beautifully done if you wish to “buy in”. If not, then not. Urban Outfitters and it’s subsidiaries aren’t in the business to be a charity. They’re in the business of making clothes. Que sera, sera.

Kate -February 6, 2013, 6:44AM

Loved this…I can’t stop watching it. Anyone know what her tattoo means? I love where it’s placed under her arm…so beautiful.

Karen -February 6, 2013, 7:36AM

She joins him on his trip and all those BEAUTIFUL Free People clothes have amazing adventures and the photos go into an Our Trip Memory collage! Uhhhh, maybe that’s your next catalogue !

Alexandra -February 6, 2013, 2:10PM

This is absolutely amazing, so romantic and beautiful, I loved all the bracelets she wore when they held hands. This really got me emotional and pulled on my heart strings, you can just see the love that they have and you should make a lot more of these with Sheila and Chris together. I want to see more of them! Just continue there journey. Everything about it just got my day dreaming and put me in a happy mood, thank you!

Katie -February 6, 2013, 2:19PM

@ Anon, Of course this is a marketing scheme. I find it so funny that you would doubt my ability to see that. I don’t believe this short is well crafted. I find it to be unoriginal, unimaginative, and quite frankly, dull. I agree with @Gabrielle that the couple lacks any sort of chemistry or intimacy between them. Christopher Abbott does a great job in his roll as Charlie in ‘Girls,’ but I thought he seemed bored and sleepy in this short. I don’t see the beauty or magic that so many have commented on. I see one big money making scheme. I am not surprised that so many have fallen for this, as it does target FPs typical buyer quite directly.

Racquel -February 6, 2013, 2:24PM

What is that shirt she is wearing at 02:24? I absolutely need it.

ellie -February 6, 2013, 4:31PM
Victoria -February 6, 2013, 8:15PM

Absolute drivel…..
The shots of New York stole the show…. The love story…. What love story? The. Bloke… Yuk

Sorry. Did not fall for this one

Ali -February 6, 2013, 9:45PM

I agree with @Katie and @Gabrielle. Although I do see the intent this short film was supposed to have, it did not win me over. It seems like the typical hipster romance story that most people lust over via tumblr. I would have liked to have seen something more imaginative. My boyfriend lives in New York and we eat ice cream all weekend and watch Netflix so maybe that’s why this seems so unrealistic… but I guess in the end it’ all about the clothes and that’s really all I got from this short.

Penny -February 6, 2013, 11:10PM

Katie, by your logic, every business is a “marketing scheme”. That’s what every business has ever done–make their product appealing in order to sell it. What’s the difference between this short film and a commercial advertisement?

Meghan -February 7, 2013, 8:54AM

Looking at this as a short film, it is completely uninspiring, cheesy, and completely lacking in originality. As a commercial, it was nice.

Bethany -February 7, 2013, 9:12AM

Just got the catalog…I promptly fell in love with all the new looks. But the film is so beautifully done….it really drew me in with the couple, the whole mood and the awesome styling. A+++++

dianne -February 9, 2013, 3:49PM

Serendipitous, beautiful, whimsical, and Chris and Sheila are just amazing together!

Carlos -February 10, 2013, 3:08PM

@Katie @Gabrielle @ali

Hey Ladies,

I understand your perspective and views on this short film. I also disagree profoundly with you. I believe the place you are talking from is your own experience and feelings and i respect that, however i find them limited and kind of resentful. I dont know any of you, i certainly dont mean to judge you, but can’t you be light for a second, can’t you let go of you don’t have @ali, at what you dont understand @katie (the purpose of this video is to connect with an audience) if you read the comments above except the 3 of you, it had made a huge connection with 95% of the audience… @gabirelle, i love the fact that you feel there is no chemistry between the characters, i find the characters not only very connected but also very free to leave their connection linked to a little funny game we all played at least once in out lives. I feel the characters are what you don’t dare to be, free. There is no need to be deep nor take yourself profoundly serious, nor it is to take this piece that way either… i feel it is a pretty and emotional little story that depicts desires and dreams we all have somewhere in our heart. Way to Go FP… well done

steph -February 11, 2013, 4:51PM

Not into the Manic Pixie Dream BS on here. Also weird to see an outsourced video on the site.

Katie -February 11, 2013, 8:30PM

@Carlos, are you the director of photography as listed underneath the video? If so, I find it strange that you felt the need to compliment and defend your own work on a public forum. Yes, many of those who commented on this video liked it very much, especially from an aesthetic perspective. The bulk of comments on here were not critical. If you are indeed one of the artists who worked on this short, you should try to appreciate a wide range of perspectives and use criticism to make your work stronger. I have had both visual artwork and writing of mine critiqued MANY times and it does not help to me as an artist or writer to receive merely praise. Some of the harshest comments I’ve gotten back in critiques and workshops have been fuel to push myself as an artist and shape my work into something greater.

In this original post, Free People wrote, “let us know in the comments what you think of the film.” That is exactly what I did. I viewed it as a short film rather than a commercial and I felt “free” to post my thoughts. Just because my opinion (along with @Gabrielle and @Ali as well as a few others) has been the unpopular one does not mean that it should be discredited or thought of as misinformed.

Ali -February 11, 2013, 8:59PM

This has been advertised as a short film both on this forum, and on Facebook (feel free to check the comments there, and you will see that less than 95% of the people had a connection) Like Katie I have a feeling that this Carlos is the Carlos who helped work on the film and I am very surprised how defensive you are about your work. As an artist I take critiques very seriously, and maybe our comments are something to take into consideration since fp is hinting there will be more short films. It doesn’t seem you are very “free” to listening and working with our comments. I hope brushing us off and telling us what we should have felt makes you feel better.

Kora -February 12, 2013, 10:37AM

I agree with steph – why outsource when FP is constantly raving about their talented video team?

Carlos -February 12, 2013, 2:28PM

@ Katie

As i said before, i do understand and respect YOUR thoughts. I do not share them. I also explained my thoughts on your comments. I do believe your critics were not constructive. They were as i mentioned before quite patronizing and condescending trying to put the movie down and not build a constructive perspective on what you think doesn’t work. That would have opened a much healthier exchange.

anji -February 18, 2013, 2:34PM

Still cannot stop watching this beautiful film. Really warms my heart. Please make more short films, you guys are excellent <3

Scott -February 22, 2013, 1:41AM

This was wonderful. Bravo. Kudos to all involved.

A -April 1, 2013, 4:00PM

When is the sequel to this going to come out? I want to know what happens!!!!

Sophia -May 8, 2013, 10:58PM

I love everything about this short film! Please continue to make more!!

Tommy Courtney -August 24, 2013, 10:47AM

Hello All, I was a judge at the La Jolla Film Festival where ROSHAMBO won Best Fashion Film and other Best’s. It was a refreshing take for a brand, Free People, to present so effortlessly their collection. Job well done Guy Aroch, and Jonathan Doe.

Please take a look at this blog a fellow film director wrote about this film! Thank you and Free People we’ll look forward to your next creation.

Best