This guest post is from our contributor FP Naomi.
Summer is in its final stretches and you’ve probably exhausted just about every bun, hair-on-top-of-the-head variation that you can muster. If you’re like me, having your hair down in the heat can be tough, and even if you try wearing it down, you’ll most likely throw it up at some point during the day. So why not have a little fun with getting it off your neck? Throw a scarf, some braids, twists and bobby pins into the mix. I’m about to give you a few summer hair styles to spice things up before the hot weather dies out. All you need is a scarf, which I can bet you have laying around, and a little motivation. You have one month left before those locks once again wave free. The time to experiment is now!
The Moon Child
- Part your hair down the center.
- Lay a long scarf over your head, so that it hangs down equally on both sides.
- Braid the scarf into pigtail braids by adding it to one strand.
- Pull braids apart a bit, and then pin one braid along the front of your hairline.
- Pin the other braid so it rests just behind the first.
- Tie loose ends of the scarf at the nape of your neck.
The Twisted Fairy
For this look I cut up an old Free People bag and used it as a scarf!
- Wrap a scarf around your head and tie at the nape of your neck.
- Starting toward the top of your head, twist a lock of hair away from your face.
- Wrap twisted strand under the scarf and tuck it away.
- Continue by adding a little hair to the twist each time, and then wrapping & tucking like you did with the first.
- Repeat on other side.
The Snake Charmer
- Grab a front portion of hair on one side of your part.
- Braid the portion straight down.
- Twirl the braid into a little bun and pin.
- Pull the rest of your hair into a low, messy bun.
- Tie the scarf around your head, knotting it near your forehead and wrapping loose ends underneath.
Visit Naomi’s blog Numie Abbot!