Learning To Read Tarot Cards

Post image for Learning To Read Tarot Cards

I have always been fascinated with Tarot cards, but it wasn’t until last year around the holidays that I finally got my hands on the beautiful deck we were selling by The Wild Unknown. Ever since, I have been trying to practice and learn the basics of Tarot readings.  It can seem overwhelming at first — there are so many different cards and meanings, and a variety of ways to read them.  Today I wanted to share some of the beginner’s tips that I have found most useful, and three common spreads to practice with.

If you have any tips or advice for learning how to read Tarot cards, please share in the comments!

reading tarot cards

Choose a deck that speaks to you.  There are a number of different Tarot card decks.  You will naturally be drawn to one, whether it is because of the imagery or some subconscious pull.  I was immediately drawn to the Wild Unknown deck and its gorgeous illustrations by artist Kim Krans.

reading tarot cards

Spend time with your deck. Get to know the cards, spend time studying them and getting to know their individual meanings.  Learn about the different suits, which vary depending on the deck.  My deck has Pentacles, Wands, Swords, and Cups.

reading tarot cards

Major vs. Minor Arcana. The Major Arcana speaks to the deeper and more spiritual aspects of life situations and the Minor Arcana speaks to smaller, day to day matters.  The Major Arcana includes the “trump cards” of the deck — the ones we are more familiar with hearing about like The Sun, The Moon, The Lovers, and The Fool.

reading tarot cards

Practice. Practice by starting your day with a daily reading.  Draw one card from the deck — choose the one you are drawn to.  Study the card, think about its meaning, and ask yourself questions about how it applies to you and your current situation.

Once you have familiarized yourself with the cards and their meanings, start experimenting with different spreads.  Here are three common spreads you can try!

reading tarot cards

The 3 card spread is a great starting point.  Ask yourself a question, and spend some time sitting with the deck, transferring your energy to the cards.  When you draw the cards, select the ones you are subconsciously drawn to.  If you draw a card upside down, keep it that way — this is referred to as a “reverse” card, and affects the reading.  The first card symbolizes the past, the center card the present, and the third card the future.  Look for a story or pattern in the cards you draw, and think about how they relate to each other –  trust your intuition.  This spread is great for daily readings, and a good way to get some quick insight into a certain situation.

reading tarot cards

The 7 card spread is similar to the 3 card spread but a bit more complex, with two cards in the past and future, and three in the present.  Once you have become more familiar with your cards and how to read them, this spread can help offer further insight into a situation, beyond what the 3 card spread offers.  The cards in the past speak to past past issues, the three in the center speak to present situations, and the two on the right speak to the future outcome.

reading tarot cards

The Celtic Cross Spread is an even more complex and in-depth reading.  This spread definitely takes practice and I am not there yet, but this diagram demonstrates the spread and each card’s meaning.  Here is a rundown of what each card means:

Self: This is you at your core, your being.

Opposing Forces: This represents something that is working against your true self, and challenging your being.

Background/Foundation: This card speaks to the origin of your question and why you asked it, which could relate to your background, your childhood, or an event that has shaped who you are.

Recent Past: This card represents recent events leading up to your current situation.

Near Future: This card represents events that are currently forming and about to occur.

Higher Power: This card can represent a person of extreme importance in your life, or an overseeing power of some sort — it can even represent you at your highest power.

Issues/Fears: This card symbolizes your fears or hesitancy about upcoming events, or the situation you are inquiring about.

Allies and Supporters: This speaks to your family, friends, and close acquaintances.  The card demonstrates how your current situation affects those around you, or how they affect your current situation.

Advice: This card offers you insight into how to act next, and how to proceed with your situation.

Outcome: The end result of your query, this card speaks to the long-term outcome.  You can affect this outcome by heeding the advice in the prior card, or taking a different approach to your issues or fears with the situation.

tarot cards

Have you ever read Tarot cards? Please share any advice or recommendations on good books or websites to learn more!

Tags: , , ,

Comments

gül -October 18, 2013, 9:43AM

If I read cards for somebody else, I always ask that if he/she wants me to read the outcome card. I think human beliefs are strong and people might create their future just because they believed it. I mean if there’s something bad in their outcome card, it may occur just because they really believed it. It’s same for coffee reading too. Human mind is the most powerful thing.

Sage -October 18, 2013, 11:22AM

The diagram shown for the Celtic Cross spread is off; not only is it unclear as to how to lay the cards out from the deck, the descriptions of the meanings are inaccurate. While this is an ancient spread and one of the most commonly used, the descriptions of it sometimes vary (though I’ve never seen one that looks like this). I recommend that anyone desiring to learn to read the Celtic Cross spread follow the directions that accompany their deck, since that will give you the most guidance on the matter.

Lucille -October 18, 2013, 1:23PM

I do have a little tip. If you are a person who can remember your dreams, try sleeping with a single card under your pillow and make a note of what your subconscious tells you during the night. Although there are generally agreed upon meanings for the cards, such as you read in instruction books, part of learning to really read them is trusting yourself and your instincts and understanding what the symbols communicate to you personally. The bond you develope with the symbols is important- a sword does not mean the same thing to everyone, so for each tarot reader that sword will read differently. When you look at a card, what about the image stands out? Does something in the picture appear larger or more vivid to you? What in the image is calling to you, asking for your attention- this is where you should draw the meaning from. Each time you read that card, what stands out may be different, showing you what to emphasize. Trust your gut, the cards are only a tool to teach you to listen.

Lucille -October 18, 2013, 1:30PM

Also, The Online Encyclopedia of Tarot :

jennifer ryan -October 18, 2013, 1:40PM

Love tarot cards. I bought my first deck a few months ago, it was Brian Froud’s Heart of Faerie oracle. I have seen the Wild Unknown deck, also a few months ago. I think I’ll buy this deck next, looks really pretty, and I love the black and white theme. I’m naturally drawn to black and white; almost everything in my room is black and white.

Sally -October 18, 2013, 4:23PM

When I first was learning tarot I put post-it notes with some of the cards meanings on the back of each card. The process brought me closer to my deck & meant that I didn’t have to rush to a book or the internet when I felt like I didn’t know enough x

Joanne -October 18, 2013, 5:09PM

I have never had a tarot card reading but this looks really cool. I may have to give it a shot!

Shelley -October 18, 2013, 9:22PM

The whole Tarot card thing makes me feel a little uneasy and honestly, gives me the heebie jeebies, but those cards are gorgeous!

Katrina -October 18, 2013, 9:50PM

I agree with Sage, your diagram is completely off for the celtic cross, but I kinda do the cross slightly different from everyone because my mother was the one who taught me. So, the follow is how I went about it.

I place “The Self” as the current circumstances. What crosses that would be the influence that could oppose it or help it. I would have “The Higher power” & “the future” switch places. I like seeing the past to the left and the future to the right. For some reason, it gives a sense of linear progression. “The higher power” should be the questioner’s goal/objective (sometimes it can match the question). The foundation will show why they ask the question or why they’re pursuing this objective. It could be the far or recent past/future, but it should always be relevant to the current situation. On the side I put, from bottom to the top, the Questioner’s attitude of the situation, the environmental situation, their fears/hope, and the outcome. The outcome is the answer to the question, the rest of the cards is to help you understand the circumstances surrounding the issue and why its advising you to take on a certain course of action.

I use the sacred rose deck and that is the only deck I had ever used in my whole life. It was a gift to me from my mother and this was the first spread I learned. I normally shuffle the deck until I felt a “stop” and then I cut the card into piles (how many in each pile or how many piles caries in each situation). I then I put my hand over each pile and get a sense which one is the most accurate one. Then I arrange them and start the spread. Everyone has their own way of shuffling the deck so long you are accurate. I will warn you, the cards can be blunt because it the goal is to be lucid & true.

Anonymous -October 19, 2013, 12:26AM

Witchcraft. Yuck.

Francesca -October 19, 2013, 4:24PM

I have Celtic tarot by Laura Tuan. If you love Celtic mythology are perfect,are colorful and with nice faeries, plants and animals. Minor arcana ina my deck are divided by the four season!! And the major ones are not the same as regular arcana meanings.

I know that if you are learning how to use them you should everyday pick a card and write in a journal what the card make you feel, and describe it, just to be more confident with them. The Celtic cross in my book is a little bit different but i think because there are different views of doing it.

Bonnie -October 20, 2013, 8:18PM

A Wiccan friend of mine told me to “make” the cards “yours”. Sleep with the deck under your pillow on a full moon. It will take out any bad energy.

Bonnie -October 20, 2013, 8:20PM

PS: I own a Crowley deck, just because he commissioned a “woman” to design them!

Savanna -October 20, 2013, 9:55PM

This has always been a goal of mine to learn! Loved that this was posted! I find inspiration on this blog every day

Anonymous -October 26, 2013, 5:10PM

I believe it’s better not knowing anything about your future because I heard that when knowing it changes your path. As well in my perspective I think God would not like us to know your outcomes of life with some “CARDS = Witchcraft= Satan’s Help”.

shira -October 30, 2013, 1:29AM

This is a response to “Anonymous” ..Tarot is not only used by witches. Anybody can use tarot cards. Also witchcraft or Wicca is in no way related to Satan. In fact you will find more corrupt people in your local church than you will in a thousand witches. Tarot cards don’t have to be used to predict the future, they can be used to guide you on your current path. People were using pagan ways 15,000 years before your god. So maybe you should educate yourself before jumping to conclusions you probably saw in a movie.

January -November 24, 2013, 12:36PM

A great book for learning how to read tarot cards is “The Complete Idiot’s Guide to the Tarot” It takes the ancient meanings and modernizes them. The modern meanings are still true to the orginal meanings.

soulsea -January 24, 2014, 2:00AM

Hi, fp Julia

Your Blog truly really helpful for me because I am new in tarot card reading and I have nothing knowledge about Tarot Card Reading. I want to learn the new thing in Tarot card reading. So, can you give me some extra information about Tarot card reading? So, I can learn more thing in this. Your Blog is very informative and very useful for users.

Robert Deveau -February 5, 2014, 11:18AM

This site offers interactive practice in the form of a tarot reading game. Check it out at

Brenda Roberts-Cline -May 20, 2014, 9:40AM

Can u add me to your blog/newsletter etc???
I sooo luv this!!

Kelly -July 16, 2014, 10:21AM

The celtic cross looks pretty similar to the diagram I have in a Tarot book–not sure why everyone is saying it’s off. Plus, people often make up whatever spread they want so it really doesn’t matter. It’s about the energy put into the cards and the interpretation. I think the info provided is actually really great for someone new to Tarot cards. I haven’t heard of the 7 card spread, I’m going to try that one.

elle north -August 5, 2014, 7:33AM

I offer an 8-week Tarot journey that guides students to connect not only to their Tarot deck, but also to their intuition. You can sign up at any time…if you’re intereted check it out:: http://www.drawingwithin.com/thetarotwithin xo

best psychics -August 28, 2014, 6:07AM

Some of the best psychics working today started off with Tarot cards. It’s an incredible tool and not only guides through symbolism but opens up the psychic senses as well if used consistently over time. Really enjoyed reading your post.

.U8i6E-OSxTR -October 3, 2014, 10:47PM

You can definitely see your expertise within the work you write.
The world hopes for even more passionate writers like you who aren’t afraid to sayy hoow they
believe. At alll times follow your heart.

frank tru -October 8, 2014, 12:03AM

Will Angels Predict My Future Through Tarot Cards?

Those who use tarot cards to ask angels for information about the future believe that the guidance they receive inspires them to make the best decisions in the present — and the informed choices that they make right now shape what their future will be like. Barbara Moore writes in her book What Tarot Can Do for You: Your Future in the Cards that using tarot cards affects the future in two ways: through fortune-telling and divination. About fortune-telling, Moore writes, “The tarot can clearly illustrate a situation, including aspects of which we are unaware.” About divination, Moore writes, “The divine, however you conceive it, usually includes the higher power that can guide you to your best possible life. The act of divination allows you to tap into that divine wisdom and love, to ask questions of it, and to incorporate it into your decision-making process.”

A Controversial Practice

Many people who believe in angels don’t believe in using tarot cards to ask them about the future, because of warnings against such practices in major religious texts.
The Torah and the Bible both warn against divination in numerous places, such as the 19th chapter of Leviticus, which says “Do not practice divination or sorcery.” (verse 26) and “Do not turn to mediums or seek out spiritists, for you will be defiled by them. I am the LORD your God.” (verse 31).

In their book Kingdom of the Occult, authors Walter Martin, Jill Martin Rische, and Kurt Van Gorden warn readers to stay away from tarot cards: “Tarot cards are common tools of the occult used by mediums and laypeople alike…” they write. “The person who becomes involved with tarot readings on any level is looking for a picture of the future. Whoever claims to be able to interpret the cards (very innocent looking on the surface) is saying in reality, ‘I can tell you something about the future that you do not know.’ They will point the unsuspecting toward their ‘inner guide’ and suggest that mind, soul, and spirit be opened to its direction.”

The problem with that, they continue, is that it opens people up to being influenced by the evil side of the spiritual realm: “The danger of these spirit-guides cannot be overemphasized. … Even though some occultists refer to their spirit-guide as their ‘angel,’ true angels from God do not minister in realms of darkness; therefore, a spirit-guide is a counterfeit who masquerades as ‘an angel of light’ (2 Cor. 11:14). The only guarantee someone involved with a spirit-guide has it that it will ‘guide’ him or her far from God.”

The first commandment states, “I am the Lord thy God. Thou shalt not have any gods before me.” When asked what was the greatest commandment, our Lord Jesus Christ, repeating the precept found in Deuteronomy, said, “You shall love the Lord your God with your whole heart, with your whole soul, and with all of your strength” (Matt 22:37). While God can choose to reveal the future to His prophets or saints, we as individuals must always have trust in His divine providence. St. Paul reminds us, “We know that God makes all things work together for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His decree” (Rom 8:28). While we may have that passing curiosity of what will happen in the future, we anchor our lives in the Lord, trusting in His love and care.
To try to discover the future through tarot cards, palm reading, ouija board or some other form of fortunetelling, or to try to control the future through black magic, witchcraft or sorcery violates the first commandment. Keep in mind that fortunetelling is inherently linked with the practices of the occult. Scripture has many condemnations of these activities: In the Old Testament we find, “A man or a woman who acts as a medium or fortune-teller shall be put to death by stoning: they have no one but themselves to blame for their death” (Leviticus 20:27), and “Let there not be found among you anyone who immolates his son or daughter in the fire, nor a fortuneteller, soothsayer, charmer, diviner, or caster of spells, nor one who consults ghosts and spirits or seeks oracles from the dead. Anyone who does such things is an abomination to the Lord…” (Deut 18:10-12).
The New Testament also addresses this issue: In the Book of Acts, the Apostle Paul at Philippi encountered a slave girl with a “clairvoyant spirit” who made money by fortunetelling; Paul exorcized her of that spirit (Acts 16:16ff). In other passages, we find condemnations of sorcery and occult practices in general: Paul condemned sorcery (Gal 5:19). In the Book of Acts, Paul rebuked Elmas, the magician, calling him “son of Satan and enemy of all that is right” (Acts 13:8ff), and Apostle Peter rebuked Simon Magus, a magician, who wanted to buy the powers of the Holy Spirit to make himself more powerful (Acts 8:9ff). In the Book of Revelation, Jesus declared, “As for the cowards and traitors to the faith, the depraved and murderers, the fornicators and sorcerers, the idol-worshipers and deceivers of every sort– their lot is the fiery pool of burning sulphur — the second death” (Rev 21:8).
God is love” (I John 4:16). God so loved the world that He gave His only Son that whoever believes in Him may not die but may have eternal life” (John 3:16). Jesus is the light of the world, shining through the darkness (John 1:4-5). He is the way, the truth, and the life (John 14:6). To invoke Satan or any other power, to enter the darkness (the occult) for any assistance, or to attempt to usurp powers, which belong to God alone is a defiance of the authority of Almighty God. To commit such acts is to turn away from God and place our own souls in jeopardy.

facebook.com/pages/VistaPrint-Coupons-Promo-Codes/1414994228789505 -October 10, 2014, 5:56AM

What’s up, I desire to subscribe for this weblog to obtain most recent updates,
so where can i do it please assist.

Ken -October 26, 2014, 10:36PM

To respond to Frank tru… your entire rebuttal to tarot is to point to your book that you turn to for guidance. Congrats for finding that path through life, but you’ll notice that tarot readers don’t condemn those who don’t believe in the tarot to eternal damnation… tarot readers don’t go around professing love with the threat of fire and brimstone. Since they don’t come knocking on your door or send you fliers in the mail, it might be wise to try another path to reach out.

PS -November 6, 2014, 8:00AM

“Discover How You Can Read Tarot Cards Like A PRO In Less Than a Week!”
Even if you have never read Tarot cards before….
Even if you don’t know anything about Tarot…
Even if you have no psychic ability….

guy nu -November 8, 2014, 9:45PM

GOOD NEWS

Jews demand miraculous signs and Greeks look for wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than man’s wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man’s strength. (1 Corinthians 1:22-25)
Many Jews considered the Good News (Gospel Message) of Jesus Christ to be foolish, because they thought the Messiah would be a conquering king accompanied by signs and miracles. Jesus had not restored David’s throne as they expected. Besides, he was executed as a criminal, and how could criminal be a savior? Greeks, too, considered the Good News foolish: They did not believe in a bodily resurrection, they did not see in Jesus the powerful characteristics of their mythological gods, and they thought no reputable person would be crucified. To them, death was defeat, not victory.
The Good News of Jesus Christ still sounds foolish to many. Our society worships power, influence, and wealth. Jesus came as a humble, poor servant, and he offers his kingdom to those who have faith, not to those who do all kinds of good deeds to try to earn salvation. This looks foolish to the world, but Christ is the mighty power of God, the only way we can be saved. Knowing Christ personally is the greatest wisdom anyone can have.
The message of Christ’s death for sins sounds foolish to those who don’t believe. Death seems to be the end of the road, the ultimate weakness. But Jesus did not stay dead. His resurrection demonstrated his power even over death. And he will save us from eternal death and give us everlasting life if we trust him as Savior and Lord. This sounds so simple that many people won’t accept it. They try other ways to obtain eternal life (being good, being wise, performing religious rituals, etc.). But all their attempts are futile. The “foolish” people who simply accept Christ’s offer are actually the wisest of all, because they alone will live eternally with God.
“There is salvation in no one else! There is no other name in all of heaven for people to call on the save them.” (Acts 4:12)
Many people react negatively to the fact that there is no other name than that of Jesus to call on for salvation. Yet this is not something the church decided; it is the specific teaching of Jesus himself.
“I am the way, the truth and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me.” (John 14:6)
If God designated Jesus to be the Savior of the world, no one else can be his equal. Christians are to be open minded on many issues, but not on how we are saved from sin. No other religious teacher could die for our sins; no other religious teacher came to earth as God’s only Son; no other religious teacher rose from the dead. Our focus should be on Jesus, whom God provided us the way to have an eternal relationship with himself. There is no other name or way!
The Bible says “…all have sinned and come short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23) It is impossible for us to live a life that is righteous enough for us to “earn our way into Heaven. Salvation is a gift from God as a result of our faith in Jesus Christ and our acceptance of His sacrifice for the atonement of our sins. (See Ephesians 2:8-9) You can become a Christian today
If you are willing to entrust your life to Jesus, to allow Him to be your Lord, to take control of your life, Then pray this simple prayer:
“God, I admit that I have sinned. I don’t want to be separated from You because I need You in my life. Please forgive me for all my sins. Jesus, thank You for dying on the cross for my sins. I invite You to come into my life to be my Lord and Savior. Make me the person You want me to be. In Your perfect name I pray. Amen.”

Mindy -November 12, 2014, 12:38PM

My advice to anyone who is interested in tarot cards is to not give up and to find your own personal style. There are so many different ways to read the cards and many different uses to the cards themselves. Find your own personal connection to the cards and the meanings will just flow right out.

My second piece of advise is to practice practice practice, the main thing that holds us back is our own confidence.

If you are interseted you can read about my own personal tarot journey here: http://thepureritual.com/tarot-journey-long-road/

If you are drawn to cards you are ment to work with them. You can heal yourself and others. Don’t give up and open up your mind. Much love and blessings.

-Mindy

Tamara -November 12, 2014, 4:35PM

And advice that was given to me was to start with the Rider-Waite deck, because the symbolism in it is very clear and powerful, and you can connect with it right away. It’s quite a “friendly ” deck to start, and then you can move to other inspired or themed decks. A great advantage on it are the ilustrations in the minor arcana, they give you more room to study and “find the story hidden in it” than, let’s say, 8 pentacles in a row, as in the Marsella Tarot, that usually takes you to memorize the meanings associated with the numerology first (by the way that was my first deck and I love it, but I have to use another approach when reading with it; with Raider-Waite based decks I get to work more deeply with the images and the myths related to the deck’s essence and inspiration/theme itself ).
I hope this was helpful =).

Sparrow -November 12, 2014, 6:56PM

I have the Wild Unknown deck and I love it to bits. It’s straightforward, honest and helpful.

Also, to the people throwing around Christian justification for using and not using cards, refrain from doing so.

Not everyone shares those beliefs and it’s irritating to see it every time something like this pops up.

Michael -November 12, 2014, 8:07PM

If you are interested in learning more about tarot cards and reading them, and wonderful site is:
aeclectic.net/tarot

I have the Wild Unknown and absolutely love it !

Petra G -November 12, 2014, 10:05PM

Thanks for this, super helpful and a beautiful deck!

Anya -November 13, 2014, 5:06AM

This is an excellent article for beginners :)
I have been doing tarot readings for 8 years and went through a similar process when I was getting to know the cards. Now I have a very unique approach and created my own style of “tarot alchemy”, using 5-7 decks at a time and channeling a unique spread for each person I give a reading to. If anyone is interested in a reading, please contact me on

Blessings

sunshine -November 13, 2014, 7:50PM

Guy Nu, I respect your views and your certainty. However, you nullify that certainty ( the one that demands that your deity is the only deity worthy of respect and worship and all other deities and worshipers are doomed to your supposed hell) when you tell me that your deity was born of a virgin. He turned water into wine. He raised people from the dead , returned sight to the blind, healed the lame and diseased…turned one simple meal of fish and bread into enough food to feed thousands. And then sacrifices Himself for the world , dies a most painful and bloody death only to rise from the tomb three days later. And He promises to come back yet again? I’m sorry my friend. ..you just described an extremely powerful witch. Perhaps Jesus was the first famous ,male , Christian (Jewish at the time) witch and the joke’s on you. The difference between Magick and Miracle is only perspective. Love and Light. ♥

Newbie -December 22, 2014, 11:31PM

I did my first reading on myself tonight. I did the basic pentagram five card spread. I read my cards twice in a row in fear that I didn’t shuffle them enough the first time so when I did my second reading I made sure to shuffle them really good. When I did this my first three cards were the same for each reading. I was in total awe. What are the odds of that happening. Has anyone else had a similar situation. I am very excited to continue this!

chris powa -December 29, 2014, 10:26PM

Created to Know Him
Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: fear God and keep His commandments, for this is man’s all.
— Ecclesiastes 12:13

If you are seeking fulfillment, purpose, or meaning from this world and from human accomplishments, I have some bad news: you will never find it. There is nothing in the world that will fill the deepest void in your life—not the ultimate car, not the greatest job, not the most beautiful girl or the most handsome guy, not the greatest education, not winning it all on American Idol. There is nothing that can even come close.

King Solomon, one of the wealthiest men who ever lived, had everything he wanted. Yet he went on a binge, trying to satisfy his appetites with the wrong things. He went after passion. He went after possessions. He went after things of beauty and buildings and land. He drank, and he partied. After all of that, here was his conclusion: “Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun” (Ecclesiastes 2:11, NLT).

Have you ever been ravenously hungry and tried to satisfy your appetite with snacking? It just doesn’t work. You want a real meal. In the same way, we were created with a God-shaped hole in our lives. We have been created to love God, to know God, and to bear fruit. Everything else is secondary.

Think about it: everything else in life, every other responsibility, no matter how significant, must be ordered behind the central purpose of your existence on earth—knowing, loving, and serving your Creator. Yes, God cares about your career, your marriage, your family, and your ministry. But knowing Him, prioritizing Him, is number one. And when you do, the Bible says you never will be a loser for it.

Jesus said it like this: “Your heavenly Father already knows all your needs. Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need” (Matthew 6:32-33, NLT).
The Power of Christ’s Words
Christ’ passionate love for the world is evident in His statements from the Cross:

Statement One

“Father, forgive them for they know not what they do.” Luke 23:34

Do you realize that you are in need of the Father’s forgiveness?

Statement Two

“Today you will be with Me in Paradise.” Luke 23:43

Have you realized and confessed Jesus as your personal Savior?

Statement Three

“Woman, behold your son.” John 19:26

Jesus is concerned for us and provides for all of us.

Statement Four

“My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?” Matthew 27:46

Jesus was forsaken so we don’t have to be.

Statement Five

“I thirst!” John 19:28

This personal statement reminds us that Jesus is not only God, but He also was man. Jesus identifies with our needs.

Statement Six

“It is finished!” John 19:30

Jesus paid for our sins, and sin’s control over our lives is broken!

Statement Seven

“Into Your hands I commit My spirit.” Luke 23:46

You can entrust your life into God’s hands.

If you are reading this today and you’ve never committed your life to Jesus Christ, would you and confess Him as Your Savior and Lord? If so, visit this important message, that will affect your eternal destiny:

adam gouda -January 16, 2015, 9:33PM

The Atomic Glue

Apostle Paul goes on to describe the work of Jesus.
“For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him.” (Colossians 1:16)
Apostle Paul is proclaiming here when he says that Jesus is the “creator of all things…things were made by him.” Now, as this verse goes on to say, that includes more than merely the material universe around us: more than stars, galaxies, superstars, planets, and solar systems, or even trees, grass, mountains and seas. It includes the earth, Paul says, but also heaven. Both the visible and the invisible. It would also include all forces. Electricity was invented by Jesus (not as a man, but as the Eternal Son) before the creation of the world. It would include radiation, magnetism, and the peculiar and mysterious dance of electrons from one level of energy to another within the atom that makes light. All this was the design of the Eternal Son.
But not only forces, but concepts and attitudes as well: grace, mercy, truth, love, and life itself. Jesus is the originator of all life. And, as Paul specifies here, a whole pantheon of invisible beings (and their visible counterparts in earthly government): “thrones and rulers and powers and authorities”—all were created by him. The Colossian heresy here becomes visible in our modern experience as well. The Colossians began to believe, because of the Greek teachers among them, that the universe consisted of a “hierarchy of angels.” One must begin down at the bottom, with raunchy, unpleasant angels, and work one’s way up through the whole hierarchy to the good angels and, finally, to God. From that idea has come the eastern concept of reincarnation for that too was part of the Colossian heresy.

We find a counterpart today, not only in the theory of reincarnation, but also in horoscopes and astrology—the idea of stars influencing and governing our lives. The claim that Transcendental Meditation is the means of getting in touch with invisible beings is another example. We are told that there are Astral Teachers and Divine Masters who appear from time to time to impart degrees of knowledge to the human race. Gradually, we are told, this is to result, after centuries and centuries of progress, in our being lost in the Divine presence. All this is nothing new. It is very old, but it is also new, appearing again and again in history. This is what the apostle labors to correct. He is telling the Colossians, “Jesus is above all angels. You are freed from bondage to these lesser beings when you see the true authority and power of your risen Lord.”
Jesus controls space and history:
“He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.” (Colossians 1:17)
“He is before all things,” means he is outside his own creation; he was there first.
When Paul uses the phrase, “all things by him hold together,” he is speaking of our Lord’s power to sustain and to prevent breakdown. The scientists who work on the great linear accelerator (a relatively small instrument) at Stanford University, trying to smash the atom apart, know that it takes incredible power.
A Stanford University Professor said: “The power to operate this instrument, is equivalent to all the electricity it takes to run the city of San Francisco.”
Something holds the atom together with enormous, incredible power. That power, according to the Word of God (both here in Colossians and in the letter to the Hebrews is vested in Jesus. He has the authority to rule as Sovereign. He has the power to sustain, because he is the Eternal Son.
If you have a magnet in your right hand a magnet in your left hand, and you push the positive ends towards each other, they push away. Opposite charges attract; like charges repel. But here’s a great mystery: in the nucleus of the atom, protons are packed together which are all positive-charged particles.
What keeps these positive-charged protons from repelling like the magnets? What holds them together? Science doesn’t know. You can study quantum physics and learn lots of hypotheses and theories, yet to this day, it’s a mystery to scientists, but not to Christians, for Scriptures tells us the real answers. It is Jesus Christ who holds all things together. And the day is coming when, suddenly, He will let go…
“But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in
which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and
the elements shall melt with intense heat, the earth and its
works will be burned up.” (II Peter 3:10)

This was written before man knew anything about nuclear physics or about an atomic reaction could actually melt the basic building blocks of matter itself. God was prophesying how the world would end.

But now we know if the “atomic glue” which holds the atom together were to suddenly disappear, everything would dissolve in zillion degree “intense heat” accompanied by a “great noise” so powerful and quick it wouldn’t even be heard.

The most astonishing phenomenon today is to see men who work with this physical universe, who intimately observe the beauty, order, and power inherent in the natural world as well as in the world of humanity, yet who fail to see the Power behind it all; the ordered Intelligence that possesses and originates all these things. It is difficult to understand a man like Carl Sagan can work in the field of astronomy, knowing of the great secrets that are now coming to light in the universe, and yet go on breathing air which God has supplied, eating the food with which God has stocked this earth, and relying moment by moment on a heartbeat whose continuation rests in the will of Someone other than himself, yet can busy himself telling us that only man matters!

exchange rates -January 31, 2015, 4:09PM

I read this paragraph fully regarding the difference of most up-to-date
and earlier technologies, it’s amazing article.

Almonds&Vanilla -February 8, 2015, 9:58PM

I have the same deck!! The cards are beautiful and very fun to try to read