How To Make All-Natural Foundation With Sunscreen

Post image for How To Make All-Natural Foundation With Sunscreen

When it comes to makeup, foundation is one thing you definitely want to make sure is made of natural ingredients. An abundance of foundations on the market are filled with not-so-natural ingredients, potentially harming more than just your skin. But not this one.

I’m so happy I stumbled upon this recipe for an organic smooth-finish foundation with sunscreen. She breaks it down nice and easy so that you know exactly what you’re doing — and where to get all of the ingredients! As soon as I discovered this, I knew I had to make my own (and if you’d rather not make your own, you can purchase it here). Here’s what you need:

Homemade natural foundation

Ingredients (make sure all are organic and raw):

Carrier oil (jojoba, almond, or coconut work well — I used jojoba)
Shea butter
Cocoa butter
Beeswax
Vitamin E
Zinc oxide (uncoated, non-nano, non-micronized)
Ground cinnamon
Cacao powder

For exact amounts and original recipe, please head over to Scratch Mommy!

You will also need a double boiler (I made my own using a glass bowl and saucepan), kitchen scale (very necessary!), whisk, and sealable container for your finished foundation.

Homemade natural foundation ingredients

Directions:

1. Melt the carrier oil, shea butter, cocoa butter, beeswax, and vitamin E in your double broiler, stirring with your whisk.

2. Once completely melted, remove from heat and allow to cool for about 5 minutes. Wipe off excess moisture from your bowl.

3. Add the zinc oxide. Whisk to combine.

4. Add the cinnamon. Whisk to combine.

5. Add cacao powder, and whisk to combine. Compare this color to that of the inside of your wrist. Add more cacao powder, about 1/2 tablespoon at a time, until you reach your desired color.

6. Pour the mixture into your container and allow to cool. Voila! You’ve just made your own all-natural foundation.

Homemade natural foundationThis foundation has a smooth, creamy consistency, and should stay on for hours. It’s meant to give light coverage and be used as a base beneath powder — not to conceal blemishes — so when applying, be sure to use a light coat! You can apply using clean fingers or a makeup sponge.

It feels incredible to use a makeup that you know is good for you (because you made it!!), AND contains a sunscreen. Look at you go!

If you decide to give this a go, let us know how it turns out!

For more information on this recipe, go here. :)

More homemade beauty products from the BLDG 25 Blog.

Follow FP Brigette on Twitter.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Comments

Gisselle -April 10, 2014, 11:44AM

Very resourceful post! I could add these products in any makeup kit!! If you love beauty tips and want a complete download of must haves in a kit, check out the makeup blog at lulumakeupart.com!

kat -April 10, 2014, 3:46PM

I’d love it if you include a photo of one of the FP girls wearing it!

Jessica -April 10, 2014, 4:37PM

Hello!

I am flattered that you love my recipe. Thank you! I would, however, prefer if you do not give the exact ingredient amounts on your website. This is my own handcrafted recipe and I’d prefer that people come to me and my site for the recipe (I’m sure that you understand).

Here is the original recipe (from where this one came)–> http://www.scratchmommy.com/smooth-finish-diy-organic-foundation-sunscreen/

And HERE is a post showing exactly how this foundation looks when applied–> http://www.scratchmommy.com/update-does-homemade-diy-foundation-really-work/

Please, feel free to link to both of my posts, but I would love for you to remove my exact recipe. Also, if you like, I do have an affiliate program for my skincare goods. You can always sign up. Just email me for more information.

Best,
Jess, aka Scratch Mommy

Jessica -April 10, 2014, 4:53PM

Again, just to be clear, I do not mind the ingredients being listed on your site, but would like for the ingredient amounts removed. Otherwise, there is zero incentive for people to visit me and find my original recipe.

Thanks so much <3
Jess, aka Scratch Mommy

fp brigette -April 10, 2014, 5:33PM

Hi Jess! The post is updated now. Thanks so much for an incredible recipe! xox :)

Jessica -April 10, 2014, 5:53PM

<3 Thank you so much. You are the best. <3

Again, so glad that you love the recipe and wanted to share with your readers. Feel free to share any of my DIYs in this manner with your readers…I'd be flattered!

Jess, aka Scratch Mommy

Enya -April 10, 2014, 8:03PM

it would be nice to see how it looks on skin! :)

Sand -April 10, 2014, 11:26PM

This is not a good recipe for oily and acne prone skin. The shea butter, cocoa butter, beeswax, and oil and will clog pores and cause blackheads.

April -April 14, 2014, 3:12AM

Just wondering how you can claim this is a sunscreen? This is a dangerous claim to make.
There is nothing in this recipe to block out UV rays.

Amie -April 15, 2014, 2:30AM

Go to the website above for pics!

Sarah -April 15, 2014, 12:52PM

April – Zinc Oxide protects from UV rays. They included zinc oxide in the recipe.

haley -April 18, 2014, 1:45PM

Hi, I love the look on my skin, except the cacao powder seems to give me pimples every time I use it.. I got the organic all natural 100% cacao powder.. Has cacao powder give anyone pimple? I don’t know if I should keep trying. Thank you! : )

Jo Marie -September 22, 2014, 8:09AM

Thank you for the post! I would try this at home, I think it’s better to make your own than buy in the market because you can assure that it is safe to use.