SHOP FREE PEOPLE

Weekly updates from BLDG 25

Get NYE Ready With 3 Hair Tutorials From Lindsey Pengelly!

From head to toe, New Years Eve is the perfect excuse to dress up and feel a little extra pretty, on the inside and out.

It’s a time to savor the last few hours of the year prior, but more importantly, get excited for the year ahead. Wherever you’re celebrating and whoever you’re celebrating with, showing up to a party looking and feeling your best, in my opinion, is the only way to do it. With a little help from talented hair stylist and FP Me fave Lindsey Pengelly, we are bringing you three hair tutorials that are the perfect fit for ringing in the new year! Get to know a little bit more about Lindsey below, and find out how to get three of her favorite looks in just a few easy steps!

lindsey hair

Get the Look:Reign Over Me Lace Dress

My name is Lindsey Pengelly and I am a hairstylist from Reno, Nevada working at the beautiful Salon Lux.  My obsession is creating art through hair, in my work you wont see every strand of hair perfectly in place, it’s more like organized chaos. I’ve been licensed for two years now, but its a passion I’ve had all my life. I’m now known as the “hair wizard” in my town! The secret to keeping my hair healthy is by not washing it every day, and trimming the dead ends off every 8-10 weeks. I also use the whole Unite product line, from their shampoos and conditioners to their argon oils, and finishing products.

Below are three of my favorite hairstyles that would be perfect for the upcoming holidays and the new year. Have fun!

1. Simple and Classy — I love this hairstyle because it adds flair to ordinary curls

simple and classy

Step 1:

lin20
For curling my hair I use the Next Gen iron by Hot Tools, 1 1/4 extra long barrel. When I curl, I keep the clamp open while wrapping the hair around the iron. I leave about 1 inch at the bottom out to keep length and add to the messy look.

Step 2:
lin21

After curling your hair, grab a section and do a three strand braid.

Step 3:

lin22

Once braided, leave about 3 inches of the bottom unbraided and use a hair elastic to secure the ends. Pull the braid to create a fuller look.

Final Product:

braid and accessory

Get the Look: Secret Garden Crown

Add an accessory to top off the look!

2. A Braid Within a Braid — I chose this next style because when I wear it on myself I can’t go anywhere without someone stopping me and commenting on it, I always tell them it’s simpler than it really looks, which is true!

Step 1:

lin10

Pull your hair to the side, grab a section of hair underneath and make a three strand braid. Secure the ends with a hair elastic.

Step 2:

lin11

Take the unbraided hair and create a fishtail braid. So now you have one three strand braid and one fishtail braid.

lin12

Step 3:

lin13

Place the three strand braid in the center of the fishtail and use bobby pins to pin the two braids together.

Final Product:

lin14

Get the Look: Hybrid Heel Boot

3.  Dragon Braid — This hairstyle is one I like to think I invented myself, I’ve been asked many times for this how to,  so here it is!

dragon braid

Get the Look: 5 Pack FP Sparklers

Step 1:

lin15

After creating your wavy curls, grab the section of hair above your ear and french braid about 4 inches of it, then finish braiding the remainder in a three strand braid.

Step 2:

lin17

Braid the hair and leave a good 3 inches at the end unbraided, securing with a hair elastic. Start pulling out the braid to give it a fuller look.

Step 3.

lin18

Grab the rest of your hair and pull it into a ponytail. I like positioning the ponytail just below the crown of my head. Then grab the braid and add it into the pony tail.
Final Product:

dragon
I also added in some of the hair charmsies for a little extra sparkle!

lin19

Get the Look: FP Hair Charmsies

Happy Holidays!

lindseyhair

lindsey

pretty hair

Get the Look: Waffling Around Cardigan

Thank you, Lindsey!

Be sure to follow Lindsey on FP Me and Instagram!

Above photos by Joceyln Noel and Daniel Rose.

Follow FP Jana on Twitter and Instagram

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Comments

rhiannon -December 10, 2014, 12:54PM
Genie in a Bubble -December 10, 2014, 3:55PM

Love the dress! It goes really well with all the hairstyles, well done! :)
xx love

Donna -December 10, 2014, 5:06PM

Beautiful

amber -December 11, 2014, 9:53AM

This is the exact hair tutorial I just posted a few days ago. Would love if you would credit people’s original ideas and tutorials instead of pretending they are your own.

diana -December 11, 2014, 11:27AM

You can’t trademark a braid ^^^

dee -December 11, 2014, 11:28AM

LOVE THIS FEATURE!

sara -December 11, 2014, 11:29AM

Can’t wait to try this on my hair!!!!!!!

Lexi -December 11, 2014, 12:34PM

Amber it’s a hairstyle she’s been doing for a while. Just because you both posted a tutorial, doesn’t mean she stole it. I’m sure many others have posted a tutorial for that braid as well. Get over yourself.

Emily -December 11, 2014, 3:26PM

Wow! Her hair is amazing and these styles are rad! I think she literally has twice the amount of hair I do, the lucky, gorgeous girl! ;)

Courtney -December 11, 2014, 4:16PM

The things I would do for that hair

Tia -December 11, 2014, 4:21PM

It would be great to see some tutorials for us short-haired ladies :)

Rorschach -December 11, 2014, 6:55PM

Unfortunately Free People doesn’t usually like to post tutorials for short hair because having short hair doesn’t fit in with their “aesthetic”. Pretty poor excuse, if you ask me.

HollyB -December 11, 2014, 8:07PM

Love this ! so Pretty! Wondering if you could do something similar for us short-hair ladies? I have a long-pixie cut and would love some NYE hairstyle ideas!!! :-)

Rynee -December 11, 2014, 8:41PM
Carly pengelly -December 11, 2014, 10:44PM

My sister has been doing this braid on me for over a year now . She didn’t copy anyone, and she would never want her “name” on a braid when she shares it with people .

Carly -December 11, 2014, 10:47PM

Amber these photos were taken long before you even posted a tutorial. Relax.

Sloane S -December 12, 2014, 12:06AM

Hair is amaze and love the tutorial. There’s nothing proprietary about a braid. That’s laughable.

Kat -December 12, 2014, 12:47AM

It bums me out that there are never hair post for girls with shorter hair. Not all of us can grow our hair to mermaid lengths!

Jackie -December 12, 2014, 7:30AM

I’m sure both hair tutorials look beautiful. Not to defend Amber, but I’m sure she just meant that if Lindsey got the idea from her blog, she just would like a shout out or some recognition. If not, then no harm or bad feelings. My gosh! POSITIVITY ladies, there’s no need to be jumping down one anothers throats. These comments responding to Amber are negative and rude and there’s just no need for that when this blog is so positive and uplifting <3

JuleneTheGypsy -December 12, 2014, 12:00PM

Now where does one get hair like that?! Seriously, that is one magical main of loveliness. :)
Gypsy Plunder Vintage

shawnte -December 12, 2014, 2:50PM

This is beautiful. Lindsey would not take credit away from anyone that is why she is doing HER own hair in this tutorial. There are millions of videos out there with braiding, she just wanted to share her love for what SHE does. It’s so sad that as hairstylist we can’t share our knowledge with others without someone thinking we stole their idea’s when we clearly are aware that their are others with the same idea’s. Learn to learn from each other and stop assuming someone took your idea.
If you have a problem take it up with free people. Lindsey I am truly proud of you and keep doing what you love!

Julie -December 12, 2014, 3:41PM

Love Love Love all three styles. Beautiful!

Dahbudda -December 13, 2014, 10:27AM

I really like your site and work and I am Las Vegas nv based. You have to go to my etsy site where I sell all natural body butters made with real fruit juice with prices ranged from 1.00 (.84oz) to the largest for 10.00 (8.5oz). Come and check me out

meg -December 18, 2014, 10:25AM

so pretty, makes me wish i didn’t just chop all of my hair off! i’m going to have to look for an extra long barrel curling iron/wand, i had no idea they made those!

@waterlilyshop

connie -December 22, 2014, 3:58PM

Beautyful and Clasie
I like very much.

Stacie -December 31, 2014, 12:59PM

Her tutorials were so helpful! And she’s a Lana Del Rey Twin! Hopefully we get to see more!

Shanna -January 13, 2015, 2:32PM

I wish I knew how to do a fishtail braid or French braid. These are really beautiful dos. My hair is just at my boobs and not as thick so not sure without extensions I can recreate these. Thanks for sharing. I’ll see what I can come up with. Long hair is so much easier than short hair and these braids make it interesting.

Morgan -March 15, 2015, 12:42PM

How long is your hair? In inches/cm?

Hannah -March 27, 2015, 5:37PM

Where can I buy this dress? I’m in love :0

Kristina -April 22, 2015, 3:43PM

I have extremely fine hair oily hair, I was curious, can you recommend a product that would give my hair some texture without making it look greasy?

Lisa -May 25, 2015, 8:17AM

Love the hair. Love the dress! Love the total look we are definitely boho chic girls here at Hair Philosophers!
We also are big users of salt spray on the roots only for texture and volume coupled with some dry shampoo now your really talking messy texture!

jenny -July 5, 2015, 1:25AM

To the girls with questions and comments about short hair- I have hair this long, but it’s nowhere near as thick as hers. Just like me, you can use clip in extensions. Buy Remi hair, have a stylist highlight it to your match your hair color, and you can have this hairstyle too!! You probably can’t do this if you have a pixie cut, but once it grows out a bit, you can stack these extensions and it will look totally natural. There’s a ton of videos on youtube about how to make your short hair super long by stacking extensions.

Now, does anyone know if Lindsey does tutorials on youtube? I need to actually see this stuff being done:)

Amber Fillerup -August 17, 2015, 2:32PM

This thread was brought up in a blog comment recently and I have to say I have no idea what I was thinking when I wrote that – haha! Must have been having a bad morning? Not sure! Anyways – obviously braids are everywhere and yours looks better than mine anyways! Cut a girl some slack, musta been that time of the month or something ;)

xo Amber

Savvy Sleepers -August 18, 2015, 5:28PM

Your hair is seriously gorgeous and we love the Dragon Braid! Do you wear extensions?

We’d love for you to try our Savvy Sleepers pure satin pillow cases. They’re ultra-smooth for hair preventing breakage and help prevent facial creases while you sleep. They also help maintain blow outs and protect it from crazy morning hair. :)

xo Savvy Sleepers

Isabel -September 18, 2015, 5:22PM

Wow!!!! I’ve seen these beautiful photos all over pinterest, and had no idea they were the same person and there was a tutorial for them! These are stunning!

Amber -November 21, 2015, 2:12PM

Your so beautiful and your hair is truly amazing! Would love to have your talent! You should make youtube tutorials as well :)

Jennifer -January 1, 2016, 8:02AM

I love the simplicity of these fun boho designs. What do you like to use to create volume texture to your hair. I like Shu Texture wave after curling with a wand and Aquage Beyond body. What setting spray do you use?