wednes-diy

Post image for wednes-diy

my boss has a sweater with patches on the elbows and i always thought it was the cutest thing.  then i saw this photo a couple of weeks ago and a light bulb went on.  this is an easy project!

what you need:

a sweatshirt or sweater that you don’t mind experimenting with…

one

fabric, needle & thread, scissors, safety pins, and something about the size that you want the patches to be.  our visual display team let me use this scrap of pretty fabric, and i happened to have this free people sticker at my desk that was just the right size for the patches!

101_4699

first i used a sharpie to trace around the edges of the sticker on the fabric, and then cut out the patches being careful to cut right inside the marker line.

101_4703

101_4715

next i pinned the patches onto the elbows of the sweater and tried it on to make sure they were placed where i wanted them to be.  keep the safety pins in as you start sewing so the patches don’t move.

101_4716

i sewed them on by hand yesterday at work and it only took about an hour -  i think sewing while listening to music has got to be one of the most relaxing things ever :)

101_4721

101_4722

and voila… cute elbow patches that breathe new life into a plain old sweater!

Tags: , , ,

Comments

Jemma -October 13, 2010, 11:06AM

cute – so lovely such a great way to jazz up a basic hoody!

Lauren -October 13, 2010, 11:34AM

Super adorable!! I love the suede patchwork coming out on the runways, this is a great (and cheaper!) alternative!

Sarah -October 13, 2010, 11:49AM

so cute and clever, def plan on trying this to spice up my old sweaters :) btw i’m an artist in love with fp (have posted before) and recently put up some new works on my site, you guys should check them out!

nats -October 13, 2010, 4:50PM

that hoodie looks awesome. stitching and listening to music IS very relaxing. i used to make fabric purses and didn’t have a sewing machine. there were two or three albums i used to listen to repeatedly, and whenever i hear a song from one of those albums now, it takes me back 8 years to my sewing memories.

Abby -October 13, 2010, 5:18PM

That’s awesome. I am definitely going to try that and scour through my grandma’s vintage fabrics!

Anonymous -October 14, 2010, 3:36AM

Cuando la ecología está al alcance de todos y depende de uno mismo!!!!sí!!!!!!

Anonymous -October 14, 2010, 4:07PM

i’m gonna have to try this out! this looks awsome!!!

Jessica -October 21, 2010, 10:28AM

Speaking of vintage fabrics, when my grandfather died, my mom gave me all his old ties. I used them as belts for a while, but this would also be a great use since it doesn’t require too much fabric!

Jessica -October 21, 2010, 10:31AM

@nats

I used to make jewelry all day long in the summer. Incubus’ Morning View was my album of choice during those special years!