DIY 2-Ingredient Air Freshener

Post image for DIY 2-Ingredient Air Freshener

Who doesn’t love a fresh-smelling home? I sure do. I love using air fresheners, but the problem I’ve found with a lot of them is that they just mask the smell instead of actually eliminating it. Not this one! Not only does this air freshener neutralize bad smells, you also get to pick your own scent, and it looks adorable! Oh yeah, and it’s made from two ingredients that you probably already have in your possession: baking soda and essential oil. Here’s how it’s done!

What you need:

DIY Air Freshener Jar

For the container: a mason jar and lid, paint, paintbrush, scissors, cardstock (I used a manila folder), and a thumbtack or needle.

Baking Soda and Essential Oil

For the actual air freshener: baking soda and essential oil (I used peppermint).

What you do:

Trace the inner portion of the lid onto your cardstock and cut out the circle.

Mason Jar Lid

Using your thumbtack or pin, make a bunch of holes in the cardstock. You can make a cool design or just do it hap-hazardly! I think mine fell somewhere in the middle of those two.

Thumbtack in Cardstock

Holes in Cardstock

Paint one side of your cardstock, as well as the outer portion of the mason jar lid, and allow to dry. You may have to re-poke your holes after the paint is dry.

Painted Mason Jar Lid

Now you’re ready to make your concoction! Fill your jar about ¼ of the way with baking soda and mix in 5-10 drops of essential oil, depending on how strong you’d like the scent to be.

DIY Baking Soda Air Freshener

Insert the cardstock circle into the painted metal ring and screw it onto your mason jar and you’re all set!

Teal Lid Mason Jar

Place the jar in any room where the air needs a bit of freshening up! Give the jar a little shake from side to side every so often – you’ll be hit with the loveliest scent! For bad-smelling carpets, you can also sprinkle a bit on your carpet, wait an hour, and vaccuum it up! I would love to experiment using different oils and decking out the mason jars to the point where you can’t even tell what’s inside :)

As a totally out-of-nowhere side note, this air freshener reminds me of the most adorable salt and pepper shakers I found at an adorable brunch spot in Philly called Honey’s. Subconsciously it’s probably why I chose to paint my lid teal. Look at the resemblance!

Air Freshener:

Mason Jar Teal Lid

Salt and pepper shakers:

Mason Jar Salt and Pepper Shakers

Photos by FP Brigette.

More DIY projects we love!

Tags: ,

Comments

megan -August 23, 2012, 10:29AM

I’m making one of these!!!

jane -August 23, 2012, 10:54AM

what is a mason jar?

fp brigette -August 23, 2012, 11:00AM

Hi Jane! A mason jar is a glass jar with a metal lid that can be used to preserve food. You can get them at craft stores or thrift stores!

ami -August 23, 2012, 11:09AM

Mason jar rings are notorious for rusting, especially in humid climates. Maybe try spraying the lid with Rustoleum instead of regular paint.

Leisa -August 23, 2012, 12:15PM

I’m so making one tonight. So simple and useful! I’m obsessed with mason jars and basically use them for everything.

Ashley -August 23, 2012, 3:18PM

brilliant! and so simple!

Ruth Ann -August 23, 2012, 6:00PM

So Simple even I should be able to make this

Teresa -August 23, 2012, 10:20PM

So cute!! I’m making some!!

Janice -August 23, 2012, 11:13PM

Great idea i’ll be making a lot of these!! O, i have a set of the ball salt and pepper shakers, got them from ebay! There very old and i love antiques!! Im also a huge Ball/mason jar collector!!

Vandanat -August 23, 2012, 11:21PM

Where do you get the paint and what kind/brand is it? Love the teal?

linda -August 24, 2012, 7:01AM

I love these ideas and i am going to have to find myself some of these jars and get ready to make myself some of your air freshener thanks so much for showing this

fp brigette -August 24, 2012, 9:07AM

Hi Vandanat! It’s an acrylic paint by Golden (http://www.goldenpaints.com/). The color’s called “Cobalt Teal” and FP Julia got it at AC Moore :)

Nora -August 24, 2012, 9:28AM

Love it! Will be trying different scents for different rooms!!

Pernille -August 25, 2012, 4:08PM

Hey :). Love the idea!!
But i need help. I’m from Denmark. We don’t have mason jars. Do you pop a part of the mason jar lid apart?? I really don’t get the lid part. Sorry! Maybe I just don’t understand English good enough :)

fp brigette -August 27, 2012, 9:19AM

Hi Pernille! Yes, that’s what I did. Mason jar lids have 2 parts to them, so it’s easy to do. You can order the jars online if there are none near you! I’m not sure if they’ll ship to Denmark, but I found a whole bunch on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/176-2957630-2539662?url=search-alias%3Dgarden&field-keywords=mason+jars

ronel -August 27, 2012, 6:09PM

Hi what a great idea! So excited to try it. How many drops of oil should i put in and how much baking soda? What is the ratio? Thanks

jane -August 28, 2012, 4:25AM

thanks!

fp brigette -August 28, 2012, 2:08PM

Hi Ronel! If you fill the jar about 1/4 of the way full with baking soda, I’d start with 5 drops of oil. Then stir it up, give it a little shake, and see how powerful it is. If it’s not strong enough, add in a little more oil, drop by drop. If it gets to be too strong, add more baking soda :)

Bethany -August 31, 2012, 1:15PM

Just made one of these. It smells great and looks so cute! xx

ronel -September 5, 2012, 1:43PM

Thanks Brigette!

Daniela -September 14, 2012, 7:27PM

@Pernille We have jars like these in Germany though they aren’t called Mason Jars obviously. They are just Jam Jars that people use more making jams. They come in all different forms and shapes. Usually you can find them in a store that sells household goods.

I guess you could also just re-use a normal jam jar and just punch through the metal screw cap.

Jenny Ekberg -September 21, 2012, 6:48PM

Hi there! I studied some organic chemistry at uni and learned that it also works with vanillin sugar (not sure if you have it in the US, we have it in Sweden but not in Australia where I live now). This actually worked better than baking soda!!
Jen

Esther -October 8, 2012, 4:26PM

You could also just re-use any food jar. If you soak the jar in water with some baking soda added for 20+ minutes, the label comes off. And you can use a nail to make small holes in the metal lid.

tdub -October 8, 2012, 8:17PM

Adorable! Do you stir the concoction after adding the essential oil?

Also, why not just paint first and then poke holes second to avoid re-poking? Just an ideeeeaaa….

Vanessa -October 9, 2012, 2:14PM

Just my luck! I’m in Sweden so I mixed vanillin sugar, baking soda, and some peppermint oil. Smells DIVINE!

Karen -October 13, 2012, 12:16PM

wow- what a great idea! thanks. what fun here!

Karen

MonicaL -October 15, 2012, 2:49PM

Why not just forget the cardboard and use both parts of the 2-part lid? Drill holes, or use hammer and nail through the metal top. Cardboard will warp eventually, esp. in a humid environment like the bathroom.

rhia -October 20, 2012, 8:15PM

Nice simple idea!
I made some up with cinnamon oil, but re-used some smaller spice jars, the ones with the little plastic snap-on “shaker” tops under the lid and just left the lid off. So small, you can just tuck them behind other things.

Dilip Gupta -October 23, 2012, 7:50AM

Cool!!!! This is the best way to actually kill the bad odor instead of masking the bad smell. I was not aware of such procedure. Very innovative and easy.

Jessica@CapeofDreams -October 31, 2012, 12:09PM

I made an air freshener this weekend. Thank you for your guide! I put a link on my blog. I hope you don’t mind. Here is the link, you can check it out. http://capeofdreams.wordpress.com/2012/10/31/diy-air-freshener/

Chuks -February 28, 2013, 11:48AM

Is the baking soda same as baking powder (that is used for baking)?

shirlene -April 27, 2013, 9:22PM

You could also use a basic plain salt/pepper shaker for smaller spaces to hide behind other things

Lindsay -July 18, 2013, 4:24PM

This is so simple and easy. Thanks for the tip on how to make this all-natural air freshener attractive enough to place around your house! I added this link to a recent blog post of mine. Thanks!

Donna -August 17, 2013, 10:09AM

@Ami..If you’re worried about the top rusting, replace the top with a pretty doily , hold in place with a rubber band then a pretty ribbon over that.

Love this idea!!!

Eproc Bell -August 19, 2013, 11:38AM

Thanks for the info and tips. I’m making one tonight! More of these simple and easy ideas please!

history of baking -September 6, 2013, 5:17PM

I’d like to find out more? I’d want to find out more
details.

loup -February 9, 2014, 3:55PM

How long does it last before replacing the soda?

Why not leave the jar open top?

Thx!

does anyone know -February 24, 2014, 4:13AM

Does anyone know where the baking soda products come from. if it comes from Arm and Hammer, then they do animal testing …. I would like to know.
This is a good idea.

Vivian Gosey -May 8, 2014, 11:05AM

I made this, and put lace in the top instead of paper with holes…turned out really cute, thanks for the idea!

nisha -June 16, 2014, 1:28AM

Hey.. this is a lovely idea!! I’m definitely gonna make this for my refrigerator and bathrooms!!
couple of questions :

-Can i directly use an old salt/pepper shaker or would it be too small??
- is thr a reason for filling the baking soda to about 1/4 the jar??
- how often do I need to change the concoction.. :)

thanks again!! :-)

a -June 21, 2014, 8:38AM

Hey there! This is kind of off topic but I need some guidance from an established blog.
Is it hard to set up your own blog? I’m not very techincal but
I can figure things out pretty quick. I’m thinking about creating my own but I’m not sure where to begin. Do you have any points
or suggestions? Cheers