How To Wear A Mini Skirt

Post image for How To Wear A Mini Skirt

I have been a mini skirt enthusiast for as long as I can remember. I view mini skirts the way most people view a pair of jeans. If I have nothing to wear or if I’m in a rush, I just throw on a black mini and a flowy top and I’m all set. It’s easy to feel intimidated by their lack of coverage, but with the right styling, anyone can pull off a mini skirt! Here’s the key: It’s all about balance.

The mini

Styling A Mini Skirt

Mini skirts come in lots of shapes and sizes. You can get ‘em with patterns or without, and they’re all awesome. My go-to mini skirts are usually solid, dark colors in a tight column shape – which might be a huge surprise, considering my overall girly, lacy, flowy style. Just because it’s a mini skirt, doesn’t mean it has to be the shortest thing in the world. Choose one that makes you feel good to wear. Today I went with our Wild West Mini Skirt. It’s simple yet has awesome corset-style detail on the sides – and I love that the back is just a tad longer than the front. Also, it’s stretchy. This thing has it all!

The top

Styling A Mini Skirt

As I said, styling a mini is all about balance. Since the skirt is tiny and tight, I went with a top that’s flowy and oversized. Our Axel Caplet Boxy Long Sleeve Tee is the perfect match. It’s the perfect size to offset the itty-bittiness of the skirt. Like the skirt, the tee is simple, but with fun cutwork detail in the back for a little added interest.

The shoes

Styling A Mini Skirt

Styling A Mini Skirt

In my opinion, you can’t really go wrong with shoes when you’re wearing a mini. Mini skirts look awesome with Chucks, platforms, over-the-knee boots – you name it. I’m an ankle boot girl, so that’s exactly what I went with today. I chose our Distressed Collins Boot (an FP exclusive!!) because their short height emphasizes the fact that I’m wearing a mini skirt. Plus, the buckle detail is just incredible.

The jewels

Styling A Mini Skirt

Styling A Mini Skirt

Since this outfit is pretty simple in terms of color and texture, I wanted to add some interest in the form of jewelry. I layered some necklaces like the Sunno Spike Necklace, added a couple of dainty bracelets like the Arrow Cuff, and put on a novelty midi ring for the final touch! Simpler outfits call for more jewelry. It’s all about balance!

Styling A Mini Skirt

Photos by Julia and Brigette.

More fashion inspiration!

Tags: ,

Comments

Em -December 28, 2012, 6:27PM

I love mini skirts too however I have always believed that certain body shapes should avoid them. I think pear shapes and other people with big thighs look awful in minis and anything else that falls above their knee….

Liz -December 28, 2012, 9:53PM

I’ve never really thought that I could wear minis without looking like a little border line skank-like, but I think that the balancing concept here really neutralizes the shortness and the tightness, making it wearable and appropriate.

Kim -December 29, 2012, 12:38PM

I love mini skirts too, however, I believe some people should keep certain comments to themselves especially when it’s irrelevant to this blog post. This is about fashion, not about body image.

Leiah -December 29, 2012, 1:41PM

I’ve also found that wearing tights/leggings in the same color as your mini skirt helps it from looking too short. Perfect!

Amanda -December 30, 2012, 12:12AM

Brava Kim! Thanks for making this post positive again, and for refusing to sit back and do nothing in the face of body shaming.

Nadya -December 30, 2012, 6:05AM

hey i hate the shoes

Nadya -December 30, 2012, 6:08AM

i only love the tights but everything else is ugly

Madison -December 30, 2012, 10:37AM

Pear-shaped girl here to say that I look extra bootyliscious in minis, and that you should wear whatever makes you feel good. :)

Julia -December 30, 2012, 12:28PM

I’ve always loved mini skirts especially bolder ones like the Rattlesnake mini skirt. I agree balance is everything, and posture. Ladies need to keep their legs together in a skirt sadly half the girls in my school havn’t learned this rule.

Jenny Ekberg -February 14, 2013, 10:31PM

I wish I had your legs!!!!! I am short and I always have to work hard to stop my legs from getting chunky… despite this, I can make a mini work for me with the right shoes, etc. The tall socks from FP are a real winner, they instantly lengthen your legs. And to my surprise, the super tall boots from J. Campbell that you sell (Joe and Johnny) work for me; I thought my legs would be too short but these boots are totally awesome on anyone, I think!!

nike air max shoes -June 13, 2013, 8:01AM

Hello,just wanted to tell you,I enjoyed this post. It was inspiring. Keep on posting!