What Do The Seasonal Moons Mean?

Post image for What Do The Seasonal Moons Mean?

When we first posted about our Seasonal Moon Necklaces, we had a lot of requests to post about what each seasonal moon meant. So, with that a mind we thought it would be a good idea to describe to you each one. I have never heard of the seasonal moons before and I had no idea that my month was the “frost moon”. The frost moon is the name of the full moon in November, also know as the Full Beaver Moon, and was known as the time to set beaver traps before the swamps froze, to ensure a supply of warm winter furs.

Here are the other meanings of the Seasonal Full Moons

January: The Old Moon – Amid the cold and deep snows of midwinter, the wolf packs howled hungrily outside of villages. Thus, the name for January’s full Moon. Most commonly know as Full Wolf Moon, or the Moon After Yule.

February: The Storm Moon Since the heaviest snow usually falls during this month, native tribes of the north and east most often called February’s full moon the Full Snow Moon. Some tribes also referred to this moon as the Full Hunger Moon, since harsh weather conditions in their areas made hunting very difficult.

March: The Sugar Moon – As the temperature begins to warm and the ground begins to thaw, earthworm casts appear, heralding the return of the robins. It marks the time of tapping maple trees. To the settlers, it was also known as the Lenten Moon, and was considered to be the last full moon of winter.

April: The Growing Moon – This name came from the herb moss pink, or wild ground phlox, which is one of the earliest widespread flowers of the spring. It’s a time when things begin to grow.

May: The Flower Moon – Flowers spring forth in abundance this month. Some Algonquin tribes knew this full moon as the Corn Planting Moon or the Milk Moon.

June: The Honey Moon – The Algonquin tribes knew this moon as a time to gather ripening strawberries.

July: The Mead Moon – July is normally the month when the new antlers of buck deer push out of their foreheads in coatings of velvety fur.

August: The Lighting Moon – The sturgeon of the Great Lakes and Lake Champlain were most readily caught during this full Moon. Others called it the Green Corn Moon or the Grain Moon.

September: The Fruit Moon – This full moon corresponds with the time of harvesting corn. It is also called the Barley Moon, because it is the time to harvest and thresh the ripened barley. The Harvest Moon is the full moon nearest the autumnal equinox, which can occur in September or October and is bright enough to allow finishing all the harvest chores.

October: The Travel Moon – This is the month when the leaves are falling and the game is fattened. Now is the time for hunting and laying in a store of provisions for the long winter ahead.

November: The Frost Moon (see above)

December: The Winter Moon – This is the month when the winter cold fastens its grip and the nights become long and dark. This full moon is also called the Long Nights Moon by some Native American tribes.

Source: Almanac.com

\

Tags: , ,

Comments

Taylor -March 26, 2013, 11:08AM

I think these moon symbols would make really cool tattoos!
Love this post!
xx
~Taylor

Kacie -March 26, 2013, 12:44PM

Aw I love that my birth month is the flower moon, it just so fits me!

anji -March 26, 2013, 7:56PM

Does June’s Honey Moon explain how ‘honeymoon’ got its name?

Jenny Ekberg -March 26, 2013, 11:02PM

It is so appropriate that my birth moon is the travel moon. I have travelled a lot, and now live on the opposite side of the earth to where I was born…

Jenny Ekberg -March 26, 2013, 11:03PM

PS YES, I also thought of tattoos IMMEDIATELY!!! Would go really well with my other tattoos (mehndi symbols).

ces_o -March 27, 2013, 1:16AM

I love this ♥ and that typo, oh my! what is it? so familiar….

Jamie -March 27, 2013, 7:43AM

@ces_o AMERICAN HORROR STORY! Thats the font in which the title is written

ah -March 27, 2013, 11:22AM

You should post this on your website with the moon necklaces. or add the meanings under the necklace description! so interesting.

Andi -March 27, 2013, 1:17PM

How do you determine your moon? is it the month you were born? Like a birthstone kind of thing?

fp jemma -March 27, 2013, 3:33PM

@Andi yes that’s correct!

ces_o -March 27, 2013, 11:22PM

@jamie Yes!! I knew I saw it somewhere, Thank u :)

High Priestess Moon -April 5, 2013, 3:15PM

Actually you don’t determine YOUR moon by your birth stone! That is generally gone by the MONTH in which you were born. These gems have to do with your SUN SIGN ENERGY, NOT your moon energies.

I am a Western Sidereal astrologist, I can also do Tropical readings for those who are not ready to make the transition, however, a chart reading, or a Natal reading can find out what your BIRTH MOON is. Not only that I can provide a MOON natal reading showing you how to tie in the valuable information that was provided to you on this website CLICK! If you would like to know more. Please contact me from my website from the CONTACT ME tab! I work with MOON energies, hence “HIGH PRIESTESS MOON CHILD and know how valuable a tool it is!

Blessings.

Asia -May 6, 2013, 1:55AM

The June moon actually represents the time when the Algonquin tribes found it was time to harvest honey (not strawberries) and yes in a way it does relate to where the term “honeymoon” comes from. Traditionally (like 4000 years ago) honeymoon came into use for the month after a wedding, when the bride’s father would give the groom all the mead he wanted. Mead is actually a honey beer, and being so, the Babylon’s calendar was a lunar calender, which is based off the moon. They then started to call that month, the ‘honey month’, which we now have adapted to be honeymoon.

I’m a bit of a research buff and like to know what I’m getting into. Unfortunately the symbol doesn’t have a clear meaning. I mean the only place I’ve seen three triangles stacked like that was the Triforce but unless you’re a Zelda/Link fan you probably wouldn’t get the reference. But like I said, the 11 equilateral triangles depicted in this particular symbol don’t hold a historical/traditional meaning by itself.

wonder -May 8, 2013, 8:19PM

I enjoy, lead to I discovered exactly what I used to be having a look for. You have ended my 4 day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye

Mandalyn -November 30, 2013, 10:27AM

These are beautiful and I wonder where the images came from originally. I haven’t been able to find where the drawings stem from or how they were designed. Is it just one artists imaginings or are these ancient symbols? If so, from where?

If anyone knows I’d be very grateful to learn.

Erin -December 1, 2013, 10:11AM

I love these but the August moon is the fruit moon. I suppose there are different meanings based on different tribes. I’m Cherokee and the August moon is always the fruit moon. Not September.

pauline -March 15, 2014, 3:09AM

The designs come from which sources?

great hack download -June 17, 2014, 1:03PM

Aw, this was an extremely nice post. Taking a few minutes and actual effort to make a top notch article… but what can I say… I hesitate a whole lot and
never seem to get anything done.

Shawn -June 23, 2014, 4:51PM

It doesn’t surprise me that mine is the Travel Moon to be honest. I always plan ahead so I’m always ready for ANY situation.

Kiana -July 7, 2014, 6:20AM

what font is this written in? it would look pretty amazing as a tattoo

Lupita -July 29, 2014, 5:05AM

Toyota Sienna and Toyota Tundra Toyota models often become wheelchair vans.
The woman got into the real kick of betting. They’ll be wheelchair accessible,
so orlando cab travel is made easier for those in wheelchairs.
The commission voted 6-1 in favor of the new Crown Victoria taxis that
have orlando cab licences from the government than the ones
that are more prone to an accident. It orlando cab is very good.
Benin was the birthplace of the voodoo religion, and when you
book your taxi through this platform.

Sung -August 11, 2014, 5:34AM

Many people have been demanding a unlicensed contractors return late?
Tierney, Chairman Tierney sent letters to the point to verify the
equipment only over the Christmas holidays.

Geld sparen -September 27, 2014, 2:25AM

Servus, iϲh bin Versicherungen Makler für
ƶum beikspiel еine Glasversicherung սnd waѕ freue
icɦ mich diese Webseite entdeckt ƶu haben.

wind energy vs solar energy -September 27, 2014, 1:13PM

Greɑt post.

شحن عفش -October 3, 2014, 10:38PM

Today, I went to the beachfront with my children. I found a
sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter
and said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She placed
the shell to her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched
her ear. She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is
totally off topic but I had to tell someone!

แท็บเล็ต -October 13, 2014, 6:32PM

Excellent goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous
to and you are just too magnificent. I actually like what you have acquired here,
really like what you’re stating and the way in which you say it.
You make it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it
sensible. I cant wait to read much more from you.
This is really a great site.

accordion french songs -October 19, 2014, 1:19AM

Actor and singer Patrick Bruel ended up being among France’s biggest
stars over the ’90s, first making his or her name as being
a teen idol and leading an excellent to traditional French chanson from the new
millennium. Bruel was given birth to Patrick Benguigui in Tlemcen, Algeria, on May 14, 1959.
The father abandoned your family when Patrick was just a year old, in addition to 1962, after Algeria won its independence, his mummy moved to France, residing from
the Paris suburb involving Argenteuil. A fine soccer player
in his youth, Patrick first decided upon the idea of becoming a artist having seen Michel Sardou perform in 1975.

As chance may have it, acting would provide him his first accomplishment; first-time home Alexandre Arcady
ran an advert seeking an adolescent man having
a French-Algerian (or “pied-noir” in People from france slang) accent for his video Le
Coup hun Sirocco. Benguigui (as having been still called) responded and earned the
part. The next year, he spent a while in New York City, where he attained Gérard Presgurvic, later
being his most important composer.

Source: http://coastalgreenlandscapes.com/?one_page_portfolio=pushed-around

SEO - 10000 QUALITY backlinks 2 tiers -October 22, 2014, 1:11PM

Hey there! I simply wish to givfe you a huge thumbs up for our
great information you have got here on this post. I am coming back to your website for more
soon.