Creating A Desirable Shower Space

Post image for Creating A Desirable Shower Space

Have you ever taken a shower in a beautiful hotel or resort and felt more refreshed and relaxed than you ever thought possible? I remember feeling that way after staying in Costa Rica last year. Although the shower was indoors, I felt like I had just showered in nature, and it was a beautiful thing. Nature has the ability to bring us back to our roots, making us feel calmer, more relaxed, and grounded. Ever since that trip to Costa Rica, I’ve been on a mission to create a shower space that feels like nature, and today I want to share three of my favorite little secrets for doing this.

One of the most important components to making your shower space feel like nature is to remove anything that looks manmade and commercial. Usually this refers to plastic containers with text written on them. Most beauty products (shampoos, conditioners, body washes) have bright labels that catch your eye. In order to let your mind relax, take these out of your shower. Instead, find simple glass containers and empty your products into them. Bonus if you’ve made your own products (like this homemade body scrub)! Containers with pumps work best for more liquidly products like shampoo and body wash, while jars with screw tops work best for thicker substances like body scrub and conditioner.

Glass bottles and towel on wood bench

Glass bottles and jars on blue tile shower floor

This next idea is a recent favorite of mine. All it involves is a bunch of eucalyptus and some twine.

Eucalyptus and Twine

Hang the eucalyptus upside down by tying it to your shower head with twine. When you run your shower, the steam will rise up towards the eucalyptus, filling your bathroom with the most refreshing, relaxing scent. Plus, the added greens are lovely on the eyes. You’ll definitely feel a little closer to nature.

Eucalyptus on shower head with blue tile

The last thing I like to do is scent my towels for a spa-like ending to my shower. I like to place a drop or two of essential oil into a spray bottle and fill the rest of the bottle with water. I then spray a quick mist over my towel before I get into the shower. It’s so nice to be wrapped in a cloud of lavender or lemongrass after taking a relaxing and refreshing shower.

Lace Towel, Eucalyptus, and Perfume Spray Bottle

Those are my little secrets! How do you turn your shower space into a natural haven? Share your tips below!

Glass bottles, towel, and eucalyptus

Photos by Brigette

More home décor ideas!

Tags: , , ,

Comments

katie -April 2, 2013, 9:20AM

these are such great ideas! i am going to try them. thank you :)

Lin -April 2, 2013, 9:26AM

Love the eucalyptus idea!!!!

madeline -April 2, 2013, 9:43AM

Thanks for writing a post on such a simple, everyday thing that can be turned into a calming, creative, ethereal experience. This post really embodies the spirit of Free People that I love so much!

Alex -April 2, 2013, 10:13AM

I did this in my shower a while ago…. I cannot wait to shower now! It’s so soothing and elegant all at the same time and just envelops you. Sometimes I just stand there and meditate for a few seconds and I just feel so revive.

Lucille -April 2, 2013, 10:41AM

Expensive towels. When I moved in with my fellow, one of the first things he did was go out & buy us both a set of super-fancy plush towels. He spent around eighty dollars a piece on them (and I must admit, I thought he was crazy!) but then, I wrapped myself up in them and discovered a decadent, ultra soft, and uber absorbent luxury I had been missing all my life! A single towel dries me, my long long hair, and is only lightly damp feeling after soaking up all that moisture! It’s impressive, and something I never would have splurged on for myself, but now they are so nice that I’m considering buying them for my best friend! Shel’ll thing it an odd gift…until she uses them….

Meghan -April 2, 2013, 11:28AM

I am always wishing my bathroom had a relaxing vibe. These are great tips (and easy) to help my transform my not so realxing space.

elizabeth -April 2, 2013, 11:49AM

Thank you for these great ideas. I love the idea of the aroma therapy spray. I can’t wait to try these out.

Tara -April 2, 2013, 12:08PM

Glass in the shower? Eek I have a kid, but love the eucalyptus idea!

Freya -April 2, 2013, 2:05PM

I’m Australian so my family has been doing the eucalyptus trick for years. It’s also really nice if you add blossoming jasmine vine. However that only works for night showers as jasmine releases it’s fragrance after dusk. Making my own soaps, scrubs & face cosmetics is a beautiful way to naturalize your bathroom. Opening the window during a rain storm. Playing a soundscape of birds is amazing also. Turning off electric lights & using lots of safely placed candles for natural light. Clanking with toxic free bathroom cleaners makes a HUGE difference too. And, taking my time. Wether I shower or bath, I call it spa time my cat comes in & relishes in the steam & I give my body temple time out.

Megan -April 2, 2013, 3:07PM

Oh, I love this! So simple and doable, and I think it would totally transform my daily routine. Also loved the comment about getting nice, plush towels.

emily -April 2, 2013, 3:14PM

Where are the glass containers from? I’ve been looking for some like that!

Thanks!

fp brigette -April 2, 2013, 3:49PM

Emily – The containers with the pumps are from Target, the medium one with the white top is from Marshall’s, and the largest is from A.C. Moore! :)

Lauren -April 2, 2013, 6:00PM

I loved everything about this. Going to keep in mind for my dream shower someday … when I leave this little apartment in Denmark where the shower is the middle of the bathroom floor with a drain in the middle.

Ladaisi Blog
Ladaisi Etsy

DIYEARTE - DIY -April 2, 2013, 7:53PM

beautiful ideas!

WE❤DIY:
DIYEARTE – DIY

Justine -April 2, 2013, 10:30PM

Thank you for your inspiring ideas. Where can I find the beautiful lace towels?

Jessica -April 2, 2013, 10:39PM

@Lucille, what brand of towels are you using? I want in!

fp brigette -April 3, 2013, 9:40AM

Justine – I’ve found all of my lace towels at different thrift stores. Anthropologie has some beautiful towels, too!

fp brigette -April 3, 2013, 9:41AM

Freya — thank you for those awesome tips! I’m going to try the jasmine for sure. One of my favorite scents :)

Kelly -April 3, 2013, 10:49AM

Hi – please can you let me know where you purchased the clear bottles used in photos? thanks

Lexi -April 3, 2013, 11:13AM

I love the idea of hanging the Eucalyptus. I searched for some a while back for this same purpose but didn’t have any luck. So instead I’ve been adding a few drops of Eucalyptus oil to the shower head when I turn it on. It doesn’t have the asthetic appeal that the branches do, but it smells just as good and refreshing!

fp brigette -April 3, 2013, 12:47PM

Kelly – The taller glass bottles are from Marshall’s and A.C. Moore, and the containers with the pumps are from Target :)

Kirsti -April 3, 2013, 4:42PM

I love FP. There are always amazing and ideas popping up. I feel more relaxed just looking at this shower. Thank you!

camille -April 3, 2013, 11:08PM

this is so brilliant. there is nothing like getting clean in an outdoor shower, and I think it is so smart that these tips help anyone bring the feel of nature to your own shower! At home (and if the weather is nice) I open my windows and let the breezes roll in!

Camille Bremer
Marketing & Asian Studies, 2015
A. B. Freeman School of Business
Tulane University

jenny -April 4, 2013, 6:43AM

i love the idea with the eucalyptus hung upside down!

wanderingsofalittlesoul.blogspot.de

katie marie -April 19, 2013, 3:36PM

is this fresh or dried eucalyptus?

Tota Stathopoulou -May 16, 2013, 10:51AM

I’ m sorry, but what is shown in the pictures is definately NOT Eucalyptus!…..

Catherine -May 30, 2013, 6:30PM

Hi – the color of the tiles in pic 3 and 5 are EXACTLY what I’m looking for. Can someone please help me find out where those are from? Thanks!

Sera -June 6, 2013, 9:09PM

I’m getting ready to move into a new house, and the bathroom is so simple and I want it to stay that way. Definitely using these tips!

Jackson -June 15, 2013, 3:02AM

So nice post. This bathroom blog is wonderful post. Thankyou for you share the post.

Tina -June 19, 2013, 12:47AM

this looks amazing and i can’t wait to transform my bathroom!! but i live in boston and was wondering if i could get my hands on that eucalyptus…where would you suggest i try looking in this city?

Vicky -June 22, 2013, 11:20AM

Where did you pick up that cute little dainty spray bottle?

Ellen -June 27, 2013, 12:35PM

How long will the eucalyptus keep like this? How often do you need to replace?

Katrina -July 2, 2013, 6:16PM

where is the shower curtain from?

Nina -July 3, 2013, 6:06PM
Veda -September 22, 2013, 4:30AM

Hi
I’m from Fort Worth TX. Where can I find dried eucalyptus? It used be everywhere, can’t find it anymore. Any ideas?

Kassie -December 4, 2013, 8:40PM

Where do you buy the eucalyptus?

Stephen Martins -December 23, 2013, 6:40PM

Sometimes the simplest ideas have the maximum affect, and this is no different, As a builder I have been tasked with doing 2 bathrooms his/hers and I really wanted to make hers special. This is one of the best little a simplest guides ive came across that is not going to eat into the budget.

thanks a lot.

Theresa -January 11, 2014, 6:12PM

Hi,
I just wanted to say that I can usually find Eucalyptus at Trader Joe’s. I sincerely hope you have one near you it is an awesome store!

Rachel -April 27, 2014, 9:37PM

Just wanted to say please don’t bring glass into your shower!! I recently set a glass jar with coconut oil in my shower to use for a conditioning treatment when the glass slipped and shattered across the floor of my shower. Thankfully nothing hit my head, but I got a huge piece of glass stuck into my foot and was bleeding everywhere. I will never bring glass into the shower again and I highly recommend that you do the same!

Gayle -May 6, 2014, 10:26AM

this one appears to be my shower enclosure my family and i decided to
buy just recently, so happy with it for anyone upon the fence on the
subject of purchasing one, do it, you will not regret it

Laurel -May 12, 2014, 5:05PM

My eucalyptus is drying up really fast, is there any way to keep this from happening so fast?

Will Tottle -May 18, 2014, 5:51PM

Good guide…Some great, but simple tips there Brigette!

Graciela -May 30, 2014, 4:08PM

Really like all of these steam showers