Our Favorite Ways To Use Coconut Oil

Post image for Our Favorite Ways To Use Coconut Oil

The uses for coconut oil are seemingly endless.  Not only is it one of my favorite beauty products, but I’ve read and been told that there are benefits to eating a spoonful of it every day.  Coconut oil is said to improve the immune system, maintain cholesterol levels, increase metabolism, and aid kidney problems and heart disease.  It’s something that I always like to have at home, both for cooking and for my daily beauty routine.  Here are some of our favorite ways to use coconut oil!

coconut oil on skin

As a moisturizer

Coconut oil is incredibly moisturizing.  On top of that, if you make sure to buy organic coconut oil, there are no chemicals in it that could potentially harm your skin.  It may feel greasy at first but it absorbs quickly and contains natural nutrients like vitamin E that are great for your skin – it even fights against bacteria to even out blemishes and has anti-aging properties.

coconut oil on hands

Pay close attention to the hands – coconut oil is great for dry, chapped knuckles and cuticles, especially after winter!

coconut oil for  hair

For the hair

This is probably my favorite way to use coconut oil. My hair tends to get very dry so I often put some coconut oil on my hands and run them through my hair, to add some moisture.  Applying coconut oil directly to the ends is also a great remedy for split ends.  I love to use coconut oil when making sea salt spray – just add water and salt, shake it up and spray onto hair for beachy locks!

coconut oil for lips

For the lips

Coconut oil is a great alternative to chapstick.  The oil locks in moisture and the vitamins and nutrients it contains are great for keeping lips smooth and moist.  Hours after using it your lips will still feel incredibly soft – and you don’t feel the urge to constantly reapply it like you do with chapstick!  A little bit goes a very long way.

cooking with coconut oil

For cooking

Next time you cook a meal requiring olive oil or some type of cooking oil, use coconut oil instead.  Try it out – you may be nervous about the flavor, but it’s very subtle.  The benefits of using coconut oil as opposed to others are numerous.  It improves the immune system, contains natural antioxidants, increases metabolism, and helps maintain a healthy heart and cholesterol level.  The flavor it adds to dishes is subtle and delicious!

More beauty tips from the BLDG 25 Blog.

Tags: , , , , ,

Comments

Leisa -May 3, 2013, 9:34AM

Do you just keep it in the cupboard? Fridge? Do you store yours in an easier to use container or just as is? I love the idea of using it more often. Thanks!

Devyn -May 3, 2013, 9:35AM

I’ve always had terribly frizzy hair. It was often the butt of jokes in school because it was so thick, curly and messy. Coconut oil is a godsend. My hair gets compliments now and it looks so good and all I have to do is put coconut oil in it. I wasted so many years putting all sorts of chemicals in my hair trying to tame it. I wish I had known about coconut oil back in school!

heather -May 3, 2013, 9:56AM

Coconut oil is great for moisturizing babies, too! And they smell so wonderful afterwards!

Megan -May 3, 2013, 11:25AM

I really need to get me some of this! and one of those containers you have as well, lol..

Meg -May 3, 2013, 3:10PM

I love coconut oil.
So many fun uses for it!

Andrea -May 3, 2013, 3:36PM

Crazy I just bought my first jar of organic coconut oil today!!! After reading about all of its health benefits I decided that it would make the perfect addition to my blended fruit juices/smoothies. So yummy!!! I can’t wait to try it out on my split ends too! Thanks!

Lia -May 3, 2013, 4:07PM

Hi Julia,

Thanks for posting this! I am a huge advocate of coconut oil. I use it in cooking and for my beauty rituals. It also makes a really good moisturizing makeup remover (beats the brands in the store with all the additives, fragrances and chemicals).

Elspeth -May 3, 2013, 5:16PM

I’m currently backpacking around Europe and I have a bottle of coconut oil with me. People thought it was a little weird at first, but when I started cooking with it, using it to remove makeup, as a moisturiser, etc. they all understood. It’s perfect when you’re travelling on a budget and only have a backpack full of stuff. It’s so great for cooking, it heats up to a much higher temperature than olive oil. My boyfriend just bought a new pair of shoes and this morning put coconut oil on it to soften the leather. The options are endless. Coconut oil is THE BEST.

Nicole -May 4, 2013, 3:58AM

I’m a Registered Dietitian and I just wanted to advise everyone that coconut oil is very high in saturated fat and is actually detrimental to heart health. I understand everything in moderation but coconut oil really isn’t a great alternative to many of the healthier fats that have a positive effect on heart health. Generally any type of fat that is solid at room temperature will contain more saturated fats. I hope this clears things up. Just want to make sure I’m looking out for the health of all the other FP girls out there! xx

Mia -May 4, 2013, 11:21AM

Actually, Nicole, saturated fat is a necessary component of the diet. It is trans fats that cause heart disease. Unfortunately, people have become so disconnected from their healthy, traditional diets (especially in America) that they are willing to heed inaccurate advice from “registered health professionals” such as yourself. One really just needs to look at the way people have been eating for thousands of years to learn about proper nutrition. The Weston A. Price Foundation is a great place to start, here is an article from the website. I encourage everyone reading this to do their own research and be skeptical of health claims. Traditionally prepared grains, wild animal fats, and in season organic vegetables are about the healthiest things to consume. http://www.westonaprice.org/know-your-fats/new-look-at-coconut-oil

Shannon -May 4, 2013, 12:02PM

Yes, coconut oil is high in saturated fat. But it actually contains good saturated fats. It is a medium chain triglyceride; different from most saturated fats. It is made up of mostly lauric acid which is why it is so good for your immune system and boosts metabolism!

Petunia -May 4, 2013, 2:14PM

I love using coconut oil as a hair mask! I cover all my hair in coconut oil until it is literally dripping and then saran wrap my hair to my head for at least an hour. Afterwards I wash it out and my hair is so unbelievably soft. It also prevents my hair from getting greasy and I only have to wash it twice a week at most. It’s the greatest!

Sarah -May 6, 2013, 12:59PM

Here’s a great blog post from a sports nutritionist blog on the benefits for athletes of regularly including organic extra-virgin coconut oil in their diets. It’s a great blog, not just for athletes necessarily either, but also for those who want to embrace healthy eating in general:

Sophia Castano -May 15, 2013, 10:30PM

This made my hair feel amazing! I ombre my hair with bleach so my hair is very dry at the ends. I tried putting this on my ends, left it for an hour, and I couldn’t believe how soft and shiny my hair got. Thank you so very much!

Katie -May 29, 2013, 5:34PM

randomly bought some at the store last week but didn’t really know how to use it…hopefully it will help my terrible split ends!

Haven -June 7, 2013, 10:38PM

@Leisa
you just store it in a cool dry place. if it gets the least bit warm it melts completely but does not damage it.

Chloe -June 9, 2013, 9:31PM

I love adding coconut oil to my smoothies! It tastes so tropical and I swear I snack less when I have one. Try this one, it’s a pretty good recipe (but I like to use water instead of dairy in it): http://coconut-oil-tips.com/food-drink/coconut-oil-smoothie-recipe-healthy/

May -June 13, 2013, 11:19PM

Coconut is useful to me. Today your suggest is also good for daily life.

C. -June 14, 2013, 4:07AM

I use coconut oil for my daily oil pulling. I prefer it over using sesame. I brush regularly afterwards. My mouth feels so much cleaner than brushing alone does for me, and teeth seem to look pearlier, as well as keeps breath fresh for a really long time. It gets in the nooks and crannies in your mouth and seems to absorb any potentially dirtifying bits. I don’t know if it actually pulls toxins out of your blood or anything(as traditional oil pulling experts say), but I can vouch for it removing mouth “dirt” better than just a regular brushing alone! Been doing it twice daily my first week and will do it just once a day starting next. Make sure to remove used oil into a throwaway cup/container, as it could clog your drain. Love coconut oil! Super natural and healthy beauty routine, for the inside and out!

Jenny -June 22, 2013, 2:34PM

Hey, I love your pictures. I’m glad so many people are now finding out about coconut oil! It has made such a difference to my skin and hair.

Gina -July 5, 2013, 4:46PM

I also love to use coconut oil in my hair, I put it on at night with a shower cap and rinse it out in the morning. I buy it online, Nutiva is the best brand, I found the lowest price at http://www.organicmarketonline.com

Gillian -July 6, 2013, 7:53PM

I find that it is the best for removing make-up. Not only will it cut through the hardiest of mascaras, but it will soothe and moisturize the skin also!!

Janet -July 7, 2013, 1:35PM

Great posts about coconut oil. My daughhter told me about it and I have been using it in many of the ways described above. My cholesterol has been a bit out of whack, so I just started putting a dab on my oatmeal instead of butter, and sometimes I put some in my coffee cup in the morning.

OceansWatch -August 1, 2013, 8:50PM

Please support the production of coconut oil on Solomon Islands!

James -August 7, 2013, 12:50PM

Coconut oil makes for an amazing acne fighter, look http://acne-pimples.net/populartreatments/how-to-use-coconut-oil-for-acne/

use it daily though!

Ray @ Make Your Hair Grow Faster -August 29, 2013, 2:17PM

Great advice! One of my favorite ingredients in DIY hair treatments

harivansh -September 21, 2013, 1:44PM

I use coconut oil everyday …I apply it on my hairs … They become heavier ,silkier and shiny black …. :)

Tim -October 8, 2013, 7:37PM

I eat coconut oil everyday now hoping it mitigates my
sugar craving.
Great post!
Thanks.

CAROL SENA APAWU-BRI -October 10, 2013, 9:26AM

coconut oil is medidinal

Keri -November 14, 2013, 11:09AM

I use coconut oil as a make up remover. I take a nickel or dime size amount and rub thoroughly all over my face followed by gently scrubbing off the make up and oil with a wet wash cloth. Then I wash my face like normal and my skin is solo soft and helps with pimples. I love it!!

Donna Winter -January 8, 2014, 8:22PM

I was born with a congential skin condition called Bullous Icthyosisform Erythraderm I have been treated with many products over the years including Soft White Paraffin with up to 20% Salasilic Acid added of which this has ad the tendercy to make my Ears Ring after three treatments. My GP In August 2013 reccomended that I try Coconut Oil Rubbed directly onto the excessively crusted areas of my Legs, Feet, Buttocks, Elbows and Arms. My local Chemist had a jar of Homebrand Coconut Oil for $20 for a 500g Jar. I must also mention that I also use a Product called Lanate, at the same time. The way I applied both of these was I put the Lanate on first followed by the Coconut Oil. At the end of 5 Jars of Coconut Oil my Legs etc were like normal skin. (The Lanate doesn,t work just n it,s own very well). This took about three weeks to make my skin normal as we say for me. I have just started again this week using the Coconut Oil and Lanate again as my legs etc have built up the scale again. This is the nature of my condition. I am really please to have found something that works that’s not expensive and doesn,t cause other problems. (side effects).

gloria -January 14, 2014, 10:54AM

I recently started using coconut oil and am amazed at the results.I am losing weight so effortlessly since i started taking 3 tablespoons a day without dieting.Ivall it the magic bullet.I also use it all over my body before taking a shower about 3 times a week.My skin is soft like a baby.My hail is exactly like everyone says about it.It leaves my hail=r soft and very shiny.I know there are hundreds of uses for this miracle product.you can google to find out anything about the benefits of any health disorde.
You must get the organic unrefined or extra virgin kind.I get a hugh jar from Sams club for 15.00 dollars.Good luck everyone.

Organic Fiji -July 22, 2014, 9:34PM

Love this! Coconut Oil is so beneficial to your beauty, skin, face, hair, and overall health!

Looking for some USDA certified organic coconut oil or other coconut oil products? Check out http://www.organicfiji.com for some of the best :)

Taegan -August 24, 2014, 8:57AM

I read that oils don’t add moisture to hair, but seal it in. At least for natural (as in naturally very curly) hair. I think people who say that say that water-based products add moisture but then you seal it in with oil.

srsysadmin.Com -September 27, 2014, 10:30PM

I read this article completely regarding the resemblance of most
recent and previous technologies, it’s remarkable article.

Sophia -November 16, 2014, 1:43AM

Where di you get that container?

Sophia -November 16, 2014, 1:43AM

*did

hayden -December 6, 2014, 5:43PM

Nice post on coconut oil beauty tips. Coconut oil is an amazing food. I grew up in Jamaica where I’ve used coconuts and coconut oil all my life.

I am currently writing this website http://www.coconutoilhealthwonders.com/ base on my experience and research about the health benefits of coconut oil.