DIY Berry Lip Stain

Post image for DIY Berry Lip Stain

We all know that berries stain. For clothing, this can be an unfortunate thing… but when it comes to beauty, it’s quite the opposite. Berries can be used to make a simple and effective lip stain that’s completely natural and tastes incredible! The olive oil in this recipe hydrates your lips, while the berries give them a pink/purple color that’s dark enough for fall, yet subtle enough to wear through the final days of summer. Here’s how it’s done.

Ingredients:

Berries and olive oil
5 raspberries
5 blackberries
1 teaspoon olive oil

Directions:

Combine blackberries and raspberries in a small bowl.

Berries

Mash well with a spoon or fork. Add in olive oil and mash again. It should look like this:

Mashed berries

Drain the liquid into another container with a fork, leaving seeds and chunks behind.

Berry lip stain

Apply to lips using your finger and remember to wash your hands right away! This should last about a week if stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

Redhead, lip stain

DIY berry lip stain

More beauty tips from BLDG 25.

Follow FP Brigette on Twitter.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Comments

jelena -August 28, 2013, 8:29AM

Wow Thanks!

Juliette Laura -August 28, 2013, 10:04AM

Ahhh, I love this! Definitely giving it a try!

xo, Juliette Laura

Lindsey -August 28, 2013, 10:55AM

Awesome! I’ve been trying to transition into all natural beauty supplies but they’re so hard to find. I just bought some raspberries and blueberries too! I wonder if I used the blueberries instead of blackberries if I could get a cool purple lip stain :)
Side note–Do you think we could use this as like a blush replacement for cheeks? Maybe if you used more raspberry and less blackberry to give it more of a pink color.
Thanks for the tips!

Natalie -August 28, 2013, 11:13AM

Oh my goodness, I absolutely love this! Definitely going to try it in the next couple of days!!! Brigette you are amazing!
xoxo
Halfway to Harmony

Helen -August 28, 2013, 11:33AM

I can barely see any color on her lips? Maybe a different fruit like black cherries would work better. Though I would think the blackberries would deliver more color. Think I’ll stick to my regular cosmetic lip stains. (and save the berries for snacking). Cool concept, though

Annejelina -August 28, 2013, 11:53AM

Yay Brigette! Thanks for posting something natural when it comes to lip stuff. I mean you do end up eating whatever stuff you put on your lips so…. You rock!
Another idea, what about buying a roll on perfume thingy and transferring it into it? Maybe even adding a few drops of peppermint oil? Fun!
{<3} xo

fp brigette -August 28, 2013, 12:34PM

Helen – My lips are naturally very pale, so this color seems noticeable to me :) You could use all blackberries with no raspberries for a darker color, as well!

Ray @ Make Your Hair Grow Faster -August 28, 2013, 3:41PM

Great post! I love seeing natural alternatives to store bought chemicals. I’ve been wanting to grow my own berries for preserves and dehydrating, this just adds another reason for me to get started.

Megan -August 28, 2013, 7:16PM

When I was younger I bought a natural lip stain like this and I loved it..plus it smelled and tasted just like berries…i may give this a try..i’m not much on lipstick, but a little hint of color is always pretty :)

Shelley -August 29, 2013, 12:41AM

This is such a great idea! Natural and natural looking!

Rae -August 30, 2013, 10:55AM

It seemed like such a good idea! Then I tried it: It burned by lips as hell and made them dark red and extremely dry. :( I don’t recommend trying this lip stain.

Tina -September 1, 2013, 4:48AM

can i replace by strawberry ?

Lisa Patrick -September 1, 2013, 8:17AM

I’ve been doing this since i was 14 w/ all sorts of berries as well as many spices mixed in , i find that it can go on as is but i also would use coconut oil vs. olive oil if simply for the taste and it also never goes bad.

Jodi Byrne -September 7, 2013, 3:30AM

Great idea…love it.

Leanna -October 5, 2013, 12:02PM

I tried it, but I didn’t see any difference to my lips :(. It could’ve been that I used too much coconut oil. Does anyone have any tips? :)

Jacquelyn -October 8, 2013, 1:08AM

so the mixture comes out liquid right? could this same idea be tried with beeswax to make a berry lip balm?

Shweta -September 29, 2014, 5:38PM

Can a solidified version of this be also used for cheeks?