Blogger Diary: A Weekend Away

Post image for Blogger Diary: A Weekend Away

When you live in a city, you are constantly surrounded by things; people, buildings, noises… it never seems to stop. Sometimes it’s nice to leave it all behind and get away. The feeling of open space and looking out at landscape that goes on for miles is something that truly inspires me. I spent a lot of time traveling out west growing up, and I often yearn for the beautiful views that exist there.

This past weekend, a few of my closest friends and I left Philly and headed out to the ‘burbs on a camping adventure to find that openness. Golden Nugget Flea Market is on the route out of town, so we always make a pit stop there to see what treasures we can find before winding through the Pennsylvania farmland.

golden nugget flea market

arrowheads

amethyst

corn with quote

Beyond the little towns we drove until we reached Rushland Ridge Winery. A friend of a friend owns the place, so a small group gathered for a night under the stars filled with good laughs and warm spirits. A fire helped nick away the crisp fall air, and there was such stillness you could almost hear the whispers of neighbors.

rushland ridge winery

winery

standing in road

rushland ridge

vineyard

pitching tent

in the tent

vineyard quote

winery at dusk

night fire

Sleeping outside makes for an early rise, and we were lucky to catch some of the morning wine work.

winery grape

wine labels

barrels of wine

pumping wine

Before heading back to the city, we ran through the fields one last time.

siting in field

chels running

tree shadow

Where is your favorite spot to get away?

More blogger diary posts.

Follow FP Jana on Twitter.

Tags: , , , , ,

Comments

Eva -October 31, 2013, 7:46AM

right there with you Jana – love taking those short trips…something about open country, camp fires, camping under the stars! Fall is the perfect time to wonder out. I live in the country so I am surrounded by this daily. I head into the city every few months to get a dose of the city. Happy Halloween!

Theresa -October 31, 2013, 8:16AM

I too live in the country, and my get away would have to be the city. It’s were i can release a bunch of stress, and just love life. Happy Halloween!

Shelley -October 31, 2013, 11:25AM

Gorgeous pictures! Like Theresa, I also live in the country. I agree, it would be great to spend a weekend in the city! There are pros and cons to both. I guess the important thing is balance.

Liz -October 31, 2013, 12:33PM

I am incredibly fortunate in that Lexington is half big city style and half country style. All I have to do is drive 10 minutes down the road for gorgeous hiking trails that look like I am lost in the mountains, and then I can come home at the end of the day. :) Nature feels cathartic at times.

The Internet and The Unicorn -October 31, 2013, 2:43PM

I love your opening photo, and the font. I have to say, out of all the bogs I visit, this is consistently my favorite. Mainly due to the way you are able to convey the overall “mood”. It evokes the FreePeople brand personality, and carried over from the shop site quite well.

Alexa Sonken {Invitations for Creatives} -October 31, 2013, 3:49PM

What a relaxing weekend. Totally get what you mean about escaping the city from time to time. I do the same and escape to the beach :)

cgull -October 31, 2013, 4:53PM

What a great weekend-beautiful weather and wine! Such great photos. Well done, Jana!

Georgie -November 1, 2013, 5:34PM

When I was with my ex, we would road trip up to his hometown of Carlisle, PA. We live in northern VA and it’s such an over-populated, traffic-galore, always new construction, hustle bustle suburb. It would take us about three hours to get up there and we’d drive content with just staring at farmland. We’d usually go a weekend or two before Thanksgiving when the skies are always that endless blue and the leaves are still beautiful yellow golds and orange. There was a farmer’s market on the way up in Thurmont, MD that we’d stop in for pear cider on the way to Carlisle then stop back through and pick up pies, gallons of cider, apples and other goodies. There’s lots of thrift shops and a little college town with some cool little bars and eateries. There’s an Asian noodle restaurant called Iseei Noodle in the downtown of Carlisle. It is AMAZING and I recommend you go there just to try it! Can’t be too, too far from Philly, but I am telling you! WORTH.IT. Why we started going back every year in fact! Also, a tiny little vintage/funky thrift finds shop called Miss Ruth’s Time Bomb. I really loved it up there in Carlisle. Felt a million miles away. Will have to return on my own this time around and actually get all that shopping done that I couldn’t before! ;)

dana zumwalt -November 3, 2013, 1:08AM

My dream place to visit. Never been to a ocean before! But like I said my dream.

Bonnie -November 6, 2013, 11:01AM

I too live in the country, in the middle of no where, 37 miles to pavement. For me, I go into Albuquerque to truly appreciate where I live. When I get home, I am soooo happy to be be where the sky is bright blue, I can see deer out my front door, walking the canyons, and no hustle and bustle. My days are my own.

Monika -November 11, 2013, 9:59PM

Hi Jana! Did you find that purple crystal at the Golden Nugget? That’s sick! I’d like to make a trip down sometime.

fp jana -November 12, 2013, 10:53AM

Hi Monika! Yes, I did! You should definitely check it out sometime, totally worth the trip. :)