Two Uses For Turmeric In The Fall

Post image for Two Uses For Turmeric In The Fall

The golden color of turmeric reminds me of the fall foliage that is starting to drop from the trees outside. With its warm aroma, this is one of my favorite spices to use this time of year. Widely used in cooking, turmeric is also known for its natural healing properties, and is commonly used in Ayurvedic medicine. After doing some research, I found that turmeric is a natural anti-inflammatory and aids in improving your immune system. With flu season on the rise and cold temperatures drying out our skin, here are two helpful ways turmeric can be used this fall.

lotion and elixir

Turmeric Elixir

This turmeric elixir recipe is the perfect thing to drink on a cold day when you are sick or have an upset stomach. The turmeric will help rebuild your immune system, and it tastes delicious!

elixir ingredients

Ingredients:

1 cup water

1/4 tsp turmeric powder

1/4 tsp ginger powder

a pinch of cayenne pepper

1tsp fresh lemon juice

Dollop of honey

Bring one cup of water to a boil. You can do this on the stove or in the microwave. I measured out my water into a mason jar and stuck it in the microwave for 3 minutes. Once your water is hot, stir in all of the other ingredients. You can breathe in the steam of the elixir to help clear your sinuses if you are congested. Finish of with a dollop of honey to sweeten and enjoy!

turmeric cold elixir

Turmeric Lotion

This recipe is simple to make and really works! Turmeric is a natural acne fighter, and evens out skin tone to help it glow, so this lotion is great to use on the face. (Some people may be allergic to turmeric, so be sure to test a small amount on your body first to make sure it doesn’t irritate your skin!)

turmeric lotion ingredients

Ingredients:

3 tbsp. almond flour

1/4 tsp. turmeric powder

1 tsp fresh lemon juice

1/4 organic plain yogurt

Combine all of the ingredients into a small bowl and mix together until they are fully combined. Use the lotion immediately, or store it in the refrigerator for up to a week. The lotion can be applied to parts of your body or face that need to be moisturized, and it’s great to treat under eye circles. Leave the lotion on for 15-20 minutes before washing it off completely. You will see the best results if applied daily for 2-3 weeks!

turmeric lotion

More beauty tricks from the BLDG 25 Blog.

Follow FP Jana on Twitter.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Comments

meg -October 29, 2013, 8:32AM

could I use fresh ginger instead of powdered?

fp jana -October 29, 2013, 8:59AM

Hi Meg! Yes, you can definitely use fresh ginger.

Eva -October 29, 2013, 9:03AM

we use it in cooking all the time…and although I have read that it is very good for your immune system I never tried it. Thanks for the tip – will try this for sure.

Liz -October 29, 2013, 9:36AM

I can totally attest to it’s anti inflammatory capabilities. I have danced classical ballet as a hobby for years and years… after a while the wear and tear starts to build up. Long story short, I eventually tore my medial meniscus (the cartilage disk at your knee) from not pulling up on my knees enough and had to have corrective surgery that only kinda worked. My mom also has bad knees and we both juice turmeric and ginger to make a drink similar to this and add liberal amounts to our food. I can always tell a difference in my knees. It’s a lifesaver because without keeping my joints limber, I would have to stop dancing. I am so not ready for that yet.

tl;dr Turmeric is great for your joints if you are active. Try this drink and feel the pain go away!

Cheyenne -October 29, 2013, 1:36PM

I just made myself the Turmeric Elixir using fresh ginger and it is delicious! It has a very special taste but in a good way. Thank you so much for sharing, Next I’ll have to try out the lotion.
xx

Alexa Sonken {Invitations for Creatives} -October 29, 2013, 11:40PM

Love turmeric!! Been using it in raw cold pressed juice!

leno -October 30, 2013, 3:36AM

What can I use instead of the Almond Flour? in the lotion.

emily -November 1, 2013, 11:29PM

do you think it would taste just as good with orange rather than lemon?

Elizabeth -November 12, 2013, 9:35AM

Is it 1/4 cup of the yogurt?

Ruby Cooper -February 3, 2014, 4:53AM

Is it necessary to wash off the lotion after 15-20 minutes? Or could you leave it on over night?
If not, why is that?

Thanks

Laurel Longoria -October 22, 2014, 12:08AM

These are so awesome! I don’t use almond flour, would regular work?
I am going to see about the drink, and try it…. do I HAVE to use honey?

Dee -October 22, 2014, 11:45AM

Try the drink with maple syrup.

Terry -October 27, 2014, 5:57AM

You can make your own almond flour, just by grinding up almonds in a magic bullet