Skin Cleansing With Rice Water

Post image for Skin Cleansing With Rice Water

For years and years and years, women in Asian cultures have been using rice water as a way to cleanse their skin.

In addition to being one of the most gentle skin cleansing agents, rice water contains vitamins such as B1, C, E, as well as minerals, which together can shrink pores, and tighten, brighten, and soften skin. As long as it’s left on the skin, rice water is even believed to offer slight protection from the sun!

One of the best parts about rice water is that it’s one of the most simplest cleansers you can ever make — and as long as you have a bit of jasmine rice in your kitchen, and some running water in your sink, you don’t even have to purchase a thing.

Rice water cleansing

To make rice water, first rinse about 1/2 – 1 cup of rice to remove any dirt. Then, place that rice in a bowl, cover with water, and let sit for about 15 minutes. During this time, excess vitamins and minerals will seep into the water, creating this beautiful natural cleanser for your skin.

Soaking rice water

When 15 minutes are up, drain the rice, catching all of the rice water into a clean bowl. (Don’t discard the rice — cook it!)

Using rice water as a facial cleanser is as simple as splashing a bit onto your face and gently massaging it into your skin for about a minute. That’s all there is to it! After just one application, you’ll notice your skin feeling soft, tight, and young. You can store your rice water in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for a few days — I’d say no more than 5.

Rice water in jar

You can substitute rice water for plain water when you create your own facial cleansers — and you can use it to wash your hair, too, leaving it extra soft and shiny!

Cleansing with rice water

Have any of you ever washed your skin or hair with rice water? We’d love to hear some tips!

More natural beauty products from the BLDG 25 blog.

Follow FP Brigette on Twitter.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Comments

Juliette Laura -March 19, 2014, 9:11AM

Oh this is so neat! Definitely want to give it a try!

Grace -March 19, 2014, 10:55AM

What an interesting idea! I wonder if has similar qualities to the SK-II serum. I have been dying to try that for years, but it is too expensive. This seems right up my alley!

Jessica -March 19, 2014, 12:26PM

Could you use brown rice instead of jasmine?

Tereza -March 19, 2014, 6:23PM

I’ve never heard of using rice as a beauty product, especially with all the hype around coconut oil right now, but I’ll have to give this a go!

Calley -March 19, 2014, 7:59PM

This is what we recommend in chinese medicine to people dealing with acne! so simple yet so wonderful.

Nora -March 19, 2014, 10:02PM

i did try it as a mask (a clothe soaked in rice water) and as toner. after only doing this for a day and got tiny hurting red spots :( i had to stop immediately. I don’t know of any allergies, i eat rice constantly. has anyone had the same experience?

i even washed the rice three times before soaking the rice. i always WASH RICE THREE TIMES, also before cooking. it needs to be cleaned from all sorts of stuff. (be aware that rice is stored in huge piles in big storehouses before it gets packaged, you don’t want to know what things are running and flying around there, do you really want them “running” on your face? ;)

Maddie -March 20, 2014, 3:33AM

Should the water soaking the rice be hot or cold? I can’t wait to try it! xo

dboom -March 20, 2014, 4:50AM

Can I use brown rice ??

DRAMA -March 20, 2014, 7:26AM

Rise is love!!!
aboutdrama.blogspot.com

Hillary Mitchell -March 20, 2014, 7:49AM

I love these simple facial recipes! also Asians do stay youthful in appearance so I’m on board with whatever they do to obtain their magical aesthetic.

Niki -March 21, 2014, 3:03PM

Jessica and dboom: yes, jasmine or brown rice.

anon -March 23, 2014, 12:24AM

Maddie: It should be cold or room temp.

Emily -March 23, 2014, 12:36AM

I just tried this out and it is amazing! Thanks for this!

Carpet Cleaning Bromley -March 25, 2014, 3:18AM

That sounds interesting. I will give it a try :) Thanks!
a href=”http://www.bromleyscarpetcleaners.co.uk/carpet-cleaning.htm” rel=”nofollow” title=”Carpet Cleaning in Bromley”>Carpet Cleaning Bromley

Anonymous -March 25, 2014, 9:12AM

This cleanser is quite interesting. Would never have thought of it. Thank you for sharing it. I did the egg mask a couple of weeks ago and i think you should try it too. That is if you have not done it yet.

Briena Sash -March 26, 2014, 3:36PM

Wow. My skin feels so soft! I can’t wait to try it on my hair too. Thanks you! XO

Talisa -March 31, 2014, 2:33AM

Rice water has been introduced in prestige facial care brand such as SKII. The price of SKII cleanser and toner is ridiculously high ($100). This DIY rice water is such a great idea and so easy that you can make it everyday. Thank you for sharing the idea.

Tara -April 8, 2014, 12:03PM

I’ve been using this for my hair and skin for a couple of weeks now and love it! Brown rice works even better than white because of the extra oils and nutrition in the bran. Try blending down the soaked rice – it makes an awesome body scrub!

adrian -April 8, 2014, 12:18PM

Natural treatments are always the best choice

nadia -May 27, 2014, 1:38PM

Use hot water on brown rice, because In fact all the nutrients are removed when the rice is hulled.

Megan -June 15, 2014, 9:26AM

I am using rice water to wash my hair now. Going “no poo”. The rice water I used is fermented for a few days. Add lemon peel to cover the fermented smell. Apply the rice water to the scalp and leave on for about 15 minutes; then rinse with running water. Final rinse, I make lemon juice mix with tap water to rinse my hair. My hair is growing and the rice water is also good for grow your eyelashes.

sabrina -July 11, 2014, 4:00AM

My skin is softer and brighter and squeaky clean now. Wow. Thanks!!!

Wendy -July 13, 2014, 3:49AM

Every, type of rice has its own nutrients and benefits to your skin and hair. So experiment freely as you like:)♡

dell -July 14, 2014, 6:57PM

I was wondering if rice milk might also be good for this ??

Goaterina -July 21, 2014, 1:36PM

My Puerto Rican grandmother makes me do this! But she doesn’t use jasmine water. Most PR’s I know wash our rice before cooking it anyway, so it’s not an unusual concept.

Nick Mulgrave -August 3, 2014, 1:12AM

I tried washing my face with rice water once and will never, ever do it again.
The night I first tried it I was visited by the ghosts of dead people I knew.

Rowena -August 13, 2014, 8:03AM

After using the rice water, do you have to rinse off with clean water?

Anonymous -September 6, 2014, 1:59PM

Yes you have to rinse your hair after applying rice water. I remember my mom used to make this rice water portion with lemon leaves and hibiscus. She used it to wash my hair ever since i started going to school…. It’s the best ever hair wash…

Anonymous -September 6, 2014, 2:06PM

My great grandma used, my grandma used, my mom used and she passed on this great portion to me… To make it work, there is a technique how to extract the rice water and how to make it to your beat use. It’s the best and it will be the best. Yes, I do have an oriental look and this beauty tips originated from China.