DIY Mermaid Spray For Beachy Waves

Post image for DIY Mermaid Spray For Beachy Waves

Salt on the skin, sun kissing the nose, piecey waves in the hair. A day spent in the spa has absolutely nothing on a day spent on the beach.

We are beyond excited about the Surf Spirit trend that’s just launched on our site. Printed swimsuits, cropped rash guards, gauzy tanks, and beachy accessories have us wanting the beach. Not later. Now.

For those of us in the chillier portions of the world, days under the salty, bright skies are juuust out of reach, but that doesn’t mean we can’t achieve the beach’s beauty-enhancing effects on our own — namely: those gorgeously natural piecey, beachy waves formed when the sea meets your locks and the sun sets them to dry.

As an update to our incredible sea salt spray, we’ve come up with a new version that smells even better — and is even more natural. We’re calling it mermaid spray. Here’s how it’s done.

Blonde hair, shell necklace

DIY mermaid sea salt spray

Ingredients:
1 cup warm water
1 tablespoon natural sea salt
2 teaspoons organic coconut oil
2 teaspoons aloe vera gel (straight from the plant if possible!)
5-10 drops essential oil of your choice (I used lavender)

DIY mermaid sea salt spray 2

(The shells & lavender are inside the bottle for decorative purposes only!)

Shells on purple

To make, combine all ingredients into an empty spray bottle. Screw on the cap, shake well, and you’re ready to go! Experiment with different types of essential oils to find which scent you love most. I stuck with lavender this time, which smells beautiful in combination with the coconut oil, but I think this would be great with some lemongrass or other citrus scents, as well.

DIY mermaid sea salt spray 3

To use, just spray the mixture onto damp hair, scrunch to form piecey waves, and then let air dry. Voila! You’re a beach babe.

Blonde mermaid hair

I also like to spray this in my hair near the roots when it’s already dry, and then blast with a hairdryer for added texture and volume.

Shop Surf Spirit.

More homemade beauty products from the BLDG 25 Blog.

Follow FP Brigette on Twitter.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Comments

Ella Wild -March 26, 2014, 7:34AM

I’ll have to give this a try. that sun kissed, salted sea smell is really wonderful.

Ella Wild xoxox
Visit me at : http://www.etsy.com/shop/HeartJewelryAlways
or : http://www.pinterest.com/HJAellawild/

LamentingLizzie -March 26, 2014, 9:44AM

I loved your first sea salt spray. It has been a staple in my bathroom since the first time you posted it! Can’t wait to try this version.

Kristen -March 26, 2014, 10:23AM

is that a plastic bottle? essential oils devour plastic, creating nasty gunk you want to keep far, far away from your beautiful hair. this definitely needs to be kept in glass :) i can’t wait to try it!!

cristina -March 26, 2014, 10:44AM

definitely trying this!! I still use the last one you guys made along with the video for beachy loose waves all the time! its my go to hair style :) im about a block away from the beach right now… but at work ugh :) its cold and windy today, but i now cannot wait for another warm sunny day spent at the beach!!

cristina -March 26, 2014, 10:45AM

p.s. i LOVE that necklace shes wearing with the gold chain and what looks like a real shell! is it bought or made? and if not, that looks totally diy-able :) you should do diy shell jewelry for a summer diy!!!

fp brigette -March 26, 2014, 11:15AM

Cristina – We actually made the shell necklace right before taking that photo :) It’s just a tiny shell that’s hot glued to a piece of natural string. So simple!

& Kristen – Thanks so much for the tip!

Juliette Laura -March 26, 2014, 11:37AM

This looks so so ideal. Beautiful! Definitely going to make it.

Laurel -March 26, 2014, 11:47AM

Please, please do diy shell jewelry!! I haven so many shells from summers in Bar Harbor, Maine, (FP should go there this summer) and I never know what to do with all of them!

Tiffany -March 26, 2014, 1:55PM

This spray will be great for my upcoming trip down the california coast to Santa Barbara! I love the way you incorporate the shells and coconut oil!
Xx, Tiffany { http://www.sunshinedaydreamphotography.com/ }

Briena Sash -March 26, 2014, 3:30PM

Made this immediately after reading… it’s AWESOME! Was just dreaming of beach hair. I used DoTerra fractionated coconut oil so that it won’t solidify… and added their citrus bliss EO blend. Super wonderful. Thanks!

Susan Jizba -March 26, 2014, 5:46PM

I love the idea of bringing the outdoors inside, especially when you’re working inside all day…its nice to remember that the beach is out there waiting for you on the weekend!!! Thank you for sharing! https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheWeaverOfWords

Skye -March 27, 2014, 1:38AM

I was curious about the statement that the shells and lavender are for decorative use only. Does that mean for these pictures and we should NOT put these in our spray at home? Or that they just have no added benefits, its just for looks. I love the idea of putting these things in there if its okay for them to be inside! Thank you xx

fp brigette -March 27, 2014, 9:10AM

Hey Skye! I originally did it just to make the photos more beautiful, but I think you’re okay to have them in there. The shells should be fine, the only issue with the fresh lavender is that I think the spray would go bad within a week, whereas without the lavender it should keep for months. Hope that helps!

cristina -March 27, 2014, 10:20AM

oh i see it’s on string now bridgette! love it!! definitely doing that… haha

{freespirited} -March 27, 2014, 6:34PM

I tried something like this a while ago! It is so cool! I’m not 100% happy with the type of hair gel I used in it; that’s why I’m going to try this amazing recipe soon! Thanks so much!! Xx -sylvie

3rica -March 28, 2014, 11:29AM

I made it yesterday after reading the recipe and it turned out awesome! I used fake lavender plants I found at Michaels looks just as pretty! And of course the sea shells <3

ariana -March 29, 2014, 12:16AM

I was wondering if you could substitute the coconut oil with sweet almond oil?

Stella -April 27, 2014, 7:54AM

Should we use sea salt to our hair? Cause I think it is harmful!

Lydia -May 5, 2014, 7:30PM

How do you keep the coconut oil from solidifying?

kai -June 30, 2014, 9:48PM

Lydia – It doesn’t take much for coconut oil to melt. Just the heat of your hands will do it. If you keep the spray in your bathroom where it’s usually humid it should pretty much stay liquid :). I keep a tub in my pantry in my kitchen and it never returns to solid form.