Stay inspired and dont miss a thing. Weekly updates from BLDG 25

Tighten & Tone: Homemade Coconut Coffee Body Scrub

Post image for Tighten & Tone: Homemade Coconut Coffee Body Scrub

This post was originally published on January 14, 2014 but we loved it so much, we just had to share it again!

Recently, I seem to be inexplicably intrigued by coffee. I don’t drink coffee. I can’t. I’ve tried. It makes me jittery. But I love the way it smells… the way it looks… I love exploring different coffee shops, too. So when I came across the idea of creating a body scrub using ground coffee, you know I was all in.

Homemade coconut coffee body scru

This scrub is made from just 4 — natural — ingredients: ground coffee, coconut oil, coconut palm sugar, and ground cinnamon. Try to buy everything organic, if possible. So, let’s talk benefits!

Coffee is rich in antioxidants, making it an awesome anti-inflammatory ingredient. It contains caffeine, which draws out excess moisture from your skin, causing it to look and feel smoother and firmer. In this scrub, coffee acts as a mild exfoliant, removing dead skin cells and exposing fresh, soft skin.

Coconut oilis one of our favorite natural beauty ingredients over here. It’s incredibly moisturizing and filled with vitamins and minerals, which it locks securely into your skin.

Coconut palm sugar acts as a second exfoliant in this scrub. For more of a deep exfoliation, you can use a sugar with
a coarser texture, like organic cane sugar.

Cinnamon helps to clear your skin of any bacteria. It also brings blood to the surface of the skin, helping to smooth out any lines that may be present.

Homemade coconut coffee body scrub

1/2 cup ground coffee
1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

To make the scrub, mix all of the ingredients together until well-combined. If your coconut oil is solid, gently heat it until it melts, but wait for it to go back to room temperature before adding the other ingredients. This is to ensure that your exfoliants don’t dissolve in the oil! Once mixed, store your scrub in an air-tight container.

Homemade coconut coffee body scrub 2

Homemade coconut coffee body scrub 4

I was actually in awe about how smooth and moisturized this scrub left my skin when I first tried it. Then, I had a little extra on my finger, so I tasted it. I thought, “Why not? It’s made with edible ingredients!” You guys, it’s delicious. So I had another little taste. And then maybe one more. About a half hour later I totally regretted doing that — I told you, caffeine makes me jittery! — but for those of you who can actually handle caffeine… it wouldn’t hurt to have a little taste during your morning shower. That’s all. Enjoy!

Homemade coconut coffee body scrub

More homemade beauty products from the BLDG 25 Blog.

Follow FP Brigette on Twitter.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Laura -January 14, 2014, 8:58AM

I just made this and it was super easy! I actually used just plain white refined sugar ( I know it isn’t exactly natural/organic) but I had all the other ingredients so I just went for it. I haven’t used it in the shower yet, but I did use it on my hands and its great! The oil is super hydrating and locks in the scent of the coffee. I feel like I’ve been in a coffee shop all day!

Anonymous -January 14, 2014, 9:56AM

I’ve been exfoliating with coffee for a while now and absolutely I love it!!! I grind the coffee on the espresso setting so it’s less aggressive on your skin (ya don’t wanna scratch your skin!) and then I use muscovado sugar because it’s what glycolic acid is made from, which is what’s used in facial peels. It’s amazing how good your skin feels after exfoliating. Also lemon juice alone is great too if you have sensitive skin because it’s less abrasive or organic apple cider vinegar <3
xoxo Annejelina

Visit my shop:

Juliette Laura -January 14, 2014, 10:53AM

Oh my goodness this seriously must smell incredible.

xo, Juliette Laura

Juliette Laura -January 14, 2014, 10:54AM

(and it cracks me up that you ate some!)

Madisyn Fecko -January 14, 2014, 11:20AM

I love this post! I’ll be making this ASAP.

abby -January 14, 2014, 1:18PM

SO excited to try this! I’ve been on the hunt for a great coffee scrub. Thanks FP!

Cecilia -January 14, 2014, 1:43PM

Tried something similar to this &loved it! I love the DIY products (:

Cecilia -January 14, 2014, 1:46PM
Homemade soy candles, romantic decor, &trinkets. -January 15, 2014, 4:05AM

Oh dude, this looks sticky and interesting. Worth a try!

Welcome, where weird shapes happen:

Milka -January 15, 2014, 4:24PM

It’s almost self-tanning season. I gotta try this exfoliator!

Whitney -January 16, 2014, 3:30PM

Love this!! I have all of these things in my cupboard too! I know wha time making tonight!

Robyn -January 20, 2014, 10:31AM

I made this and it is rock hard, i know scrubs are supposed to be stiff but i can barely get this out of the tub i put it in…..what did i do wrong???

Ariana -January 22, 2014, 3:10PM

I’m typically allergic to coconut oil (when I eat it my stomach hurts)… do you think this would give me a problem? I want to try it it looks amazing!

Brenna -February 9, 2014, 8:04PM

I made this and it’s AMAZING. This scrub is a great exfoliant and the coconut oil left my skin moisturized and super soft. This worked so well it’s going to be my go-to scrub.

Elena -February 10, 2014, 11:22AM

Just made it and can’t wait to try it out!

Quick question- how long can i keep it for? I am storing it in an airtight container…

Thanks :)

renae -February 21, 2014, 9:20PM

I personally use lavender and coconut oil with my coffee grounds with it but it works great :)

renae -February 21, 2014, 9:23PM

You can generally keep it for awhile as long as it’s kept in an airtight container in the fridge but i always make just enough to use.

keessa -March 5, 2014, 5:27PM

This honestly works wonderfully and it left my skin feeling so soft and smooth. I adore the smell of coffee. Might mix in some vanilla essential oil.

Alexis -March 6, 2014, 12:47PM

I’ve been told it’s bad to put coffee grounds down the drain…Wouldn’t this clog up your tub?

Darlene -March 20, 2014, 9:19AM

I absolutely love this body scrub and it’s the only one I ever use. 100% natural with the benefits from each ingredient and so simple to make.

jessenia -April 11, 2014, 1:57PM

I’ve been adding ground ginger to mine, just cuz I know it’s really good for u…. does anyone know if there are any benefits to that in the scrub?

Gardenia -April 15, 2014, 5:52PM

Can I use this on my face?

Ashley -April 22, 2014, 8:29PM

Is it ok to use instant coffee?

Aurora -April 22, 2014, 10:47PM

What about your drains?

Do you use one of those hair-catcher screens, or what?

seems like it would only take a few times of this treatment to clog up the pipes from the shower to the sewer…that would be nasty!

Renee -April 23, 2014, 3:04PM

My favourite diy facial scrub is I mash up half an avocado and sprinkle in about a teaspoon or so of fine cornmeal. It’s just the right consistency and doesn’t scratch your delicate facial skin.

Gemma -May 3, 2014, 12:06AM

Just whipped this bad boy up. Haven’t tried it yet but it looks like just what my dry and scaly skin needs. And I had a taste! Seriously yummy haha

Peets K Cups -May 12, 2014, 12:31PM

Dream catchers look cool but they always give me a weird vibe. Idk how to describe it.

Hannah -May 15, 2014, 9:45AM

I made this scrub using folgers breakfast blend, coconut oil, almond extract and Vietnamese cinnamon. It works so well and smells great, I even use it on my face. The only thing about this scrub is the vietnamese cinnamon, its extremely strong so be careful how much you use. I made a big enough batch for my entire body and only put in a tablespoon. My entire downstairs smells great though :D

Lindsey -May 15, 2014, 3:36PM

Do you used used coffee grounds or fresh?

Grace -May 20, 2014, 8:55PM

Just made it and it smell divine! So delish. Cant wait to put it on my skin!

Betty -June 4, 2014, 12:45PM

I just used this recipe and LOVED it on my skin. What I wasn’t prepared for and don’t know how to resolve is the mess. I didn’t want it clogging up my drain and it was kind of messy putting it on, so I rubbed my skin with it before i got into the shower caught most of the coffee grinds in a towel I was standing on. What is the answer to the coffee grinds clogging your drain? I ‘ve seen it asked a couple of times and no one has addressed it. I don’t like the mess it leaves when I use it and I don’t want to put it on in the shower for fear of clogging my 100 yr old home’s drains.

Maggie -June 23, 2014, 2:33PM

wouldn’t that get slippery and put you an a risk of falling in the shower?

Kelley -June 28, 2014, 1:28AM

This Scrub is Amazing!!! ❤️❤️❤️❤️ I used the organic cane sugar instead of the cocoa b/c I did not have any More and Organic Coconut oil along with the rest of the ingredients. I got in the (dry) tub and Started Massaging it all over. My Fiancé was kind enough to do my back. My skin feels Super

Ebony -June 30, 2014, 7:22PM

Hi I’m definitely looking forward to making this scrub. However I do not have a expression machine of any sort to ground the coffee so I was wondering what brand or kind of coffee should I use?

Andrea Hudson -July 2, 2014, 9:46PM

Yeah coffee scrubs are so neat and invigorating. The first time I tried it I was shocked at how alive my skin felt, I later found out that our body absorbs caffeine. I tried making mine with shea butter, avocado oil and other goodies. It made my skin oh so soft. I suffer from dry hands and feet and it literally transformed how they look and feel.

If you want some ideas about different oils and scents that you can use in your scrub you can go here to see how I make mine–>

For example has anyone tried adding Peppermint Oil for a Minty Mocha scent? Smells so amazing!

River Veda -July 7, 2014, 3:11AM

Is it? I am seriously was not aware of that we can make a scrub by using coffee seeds. Its amazing and will help both way, as scrubber and as facial mask.

Mimi -July 25, 2014, 12:40AM

Can’t wait to try this diy!

Christina -August 2, 2014, 11:24PM

I read the comments and noticed a lot of people asking if the coffee grounds will clog. I’m not a plumber….at all. But doing some research on the net….yes it can. New pipes probably not and if you don’t have new pipes then make sure you run plenty of hot water to prevent it from clogging.

Andrea -August 13, 2014, 9:36PM

Is it better to use fresh grounds or used grounds for this scrub?

Claudia -September 1, 2014, 5:00PM

I tried it and loved it!

Claudia -September 1, 2014, 5:01PM

I used used grounds, seemed less abrasive.

Foot Pain -September 11, 2014, 2:26AM

They use coffee scrubs for the face to energize the skin so I guess using this as a foot scrub would be great and keep your feet smooth. Can’t wait to try this DIY! – Allie

Tammy Chavez -September 13, 2014, 1:34PM

I just made this and whipped the coconut oil before I added the other ingredients. It is very aromatic and fluffy! Going to go take another shower to use it! LOL! Thank you for sharing. :-)

Arunima Jamwal -October 1, 2014, 4:22PM

Oh my god I would totally eat that. Better than any Starbucks lol. Thank you for sharing!

Magic of salt scrub -October 3, 2014, 8:04PM

I have been exploring for a bit for any high-quality articles
or weblog posts on this sort of house . Exploring in Yahoo I finally stumbled upon this website.
Reading this information So i am happy to show that I have an incredibly good uncanny feeling I discovered just what I needed.
I such a lot certainly will make sure to do not forget this web
site and give it a glance on a relentless basis.

Andrea -November 14, 2014, 4:50PM

Please substitute the palm sugar with another ingredient, unless it is “sustainable Palm sugar” otherwise you are contributing to the extinction of the beautiful orang-utans in Borneo. Surely there is an alternative? Any suggestions?

Ivonne -November 19, 2014, 11:43AM

AMAZING!!! I used organic sugar, extra virgin organic coconut oil and even organic ground coffee, and of course fresh cinnamon. After using it I rinsed it off. At the beginning I thought my skin would remain oily because of the coconut oil. But the skin actually absorbed it very fast leaving it extremely soft. Love it!

Courtney -November 20, 2014, 4:06PM

AMAZING! I love this scrub, it left my skin feeling so soft and it smells great! Thanks for the recipe!

Lauren -December 2, 2014, 12:53AM

I’ve used tons of scrubs, and I’m obsessed with this one. I always come back to it. I didn’t have either sugars on hand so I ended up using brown sugar and it worked great. The scrub smells unreal and does some seriously awesome things for my skin. I use it when I wake up in the morning at the end of my shower and it’s perfect for waking up. I stored it in an airtight container and just put it on a shelf in my shower and I didn’t notice any issues with it even after a month. I also didn’t notice any clogged drains. Seriously one of the best things I’ve ever used. Give it a try if you haven’t

Trish -December 5, 2014, 5:30PM

Wow this looks amazing. I’m going to try it tonight!

ajw -December 5, 2014, 10:19PM

Can you substitute coffee essential oil for coffee grounds?

Deborah -December 6, 2014, 11:51AM

To keep the coffee grounds from clogging up the drains (the ones in my apartment building clog easily), I just cut out the middle of a plastic takeout container and rubberband a piece of cheesecloth around if and put it over the drain, then shake it into the garbage when I’m done. You can use it a number of times before you need new cheesecloth, and it actually works better than the mesh strainers because you can double or triple the cheesecloth depending on how fine the coffee is ground.

Emily♡ -December 13, 2014, 4:10PM

I just made a big batch for Christmas gifts in small jars for my family. It smells so good! Excited to hear what they think.

Emma -December 17, 2014, 9:28PM

This is amazing… it’s even more amazing when you use cocoa butter (adds a chocolate smell) and essential sweet orange oil. AMAZING!!!

Marsya -January 5, 2015, 8:42AM

I love the smell of coffee but I’m not a fan of the drinks. But I would love to make a scrub out of them! Great post <3 xo

Alexandra -January 5, 2015, 9:39AM

Brilliant mix! I’ve pinned it and cannot wait to give it a go (& taste) :)

Warm Regards,

jen -January 5, 2015, 10:19AM

Great idea!
Can I use any other oil instead of coconut oil?
What’s oil can I use?

rae -January 5, 2015, 11:24AM

Recently, I have completely jumped on the body scrub train and have not jumped off. I have been looking for some DIY scrubs, so this post came at a perfect time!

Rae of love from berlin

Megan -January 5, 2015, 12:56PM

Looks amazing! Definitely making this on my next day off!

Ashley -January 5, 2015, 2:12PM

Oh my gosh yes. I love to drink coffee and putting it on my skin sounds just as lovely.

JuleneTheGypsy -January 5, 2015, 2:24PM

I used to make this! Not sure why I ever stopped. The only downside to this scrub is the mess and the potential drain clogging.

Donna -January 5, 2015, 6:32PM

I can’t wait to make this! it seems super easy and I love the smell of coffee.

Sarah -January 5, 2015, 7:45PM

Just made this and completely LOVED IT! It saved me a lot of money because I usually use Frank body scrub, which is also amazing, but this is basically the same thing. So, thanks!

Trang's corner -January 6, 2015, 12:08PM

How inspirational this post is! Such a cool post! I love to drink coffee
Love from

Cora-Lynn -January 6, 2015, 10:03PM

This looks AMAZING! I have been looking for a awesome vegan friendly coffee scrub for some time. I will 100% be making this shortly.

Thanks for sharing!

Shay -January 12, 2015, 11:56AM

Love this!
It works amazing on dark spots and puffy faces!
I did however add licorice root extract in a few jars and gum weed essential oil on others
and I’m really seeing a difference in my skin as well as my family and friends!
Thank you for the idea! <3

Alexandra -January 26, 2015, 3:28PM

Just made this, smells amazing & I can’t wait to try! Question should I keep this in air tight container out in room temp or in the fridge?

Edie -March 26, 2015, 7:43PM

Can you put used coffee grinds in this scrub? We are making one similar for a school project and would like to use used coffee grinds as a method of upcycling :)

sam -May 8, 2015, 5:49AM

how long does it keep for stored once made?

Pohai -May 25, 2015, 4:38PM

If you donʻt want to clog your drains, put a swimsuit on and do it outside with a hose. But then again I live in Hawaii….You can also us a mortar and pestle and grind it very fine which is what I do, itʻs just as exfoliating, and a lot less abrasive for the face. Aloha!

Sos -May 27, 2015, 8:12AM

wow, I had to do it right away and it’s fantastic!My skin feels so soft! I have very sensitive skin so I cant use just any drugstore product but this is wonderful! And it smelt soooo well that I HAD to taste it myself tooo:)))) and it was lovely:) could imagine a cake like this.

Gina -June 15, 2015, 5:18PM

Much like you I was looking for a scrub that would not only help my legs look younger and brighter, I was also seeking something to help reduce the number of times I shave! We all know shaving can be a hassle so I was looking for a product that could be used as a scrub yet also prep my legs for shaving and I found it! There is a product by Catskill and Main ( called sweetfoliations pre-shave leg scrub made with lemons (!product-page/cjfw/05a46e61-f53b-9fb7-ee19-50ae804511d8). After using I found the scrub will lift my leg hairs giving me a quicker and closer shave! Bingo! The lemon even has antibacterial properties that help any nicks quickly heal. I’m in love with this stuff!

Cris -July 10, 2015, 10:44AM

Can you infuse the oil with coffee then strain it and add the sugar? This way you don’t have to worry about the drain.

jamie -July 24, 2015, 12:58PM

Instead of cinnamon I use pure vanilla… I love the smell of it…

Debi -September 15, 2015, 4:10PM

This is my go to scrub minus the sugar, I made different batches and the sugar made it too thick for my liking. I absolutely love this scrub. I had some uneven blotches from the sun and the scrub took it all away within 3 scrubs. My skin feels so moisturized and smells amazing. I used it on my body and face. I too wondered about the clogging and did research, it says to run hot water a few minutes longer after scrubbing. I also poured vinegar down the drain which naturally breaks up clogs.

Joanna -September 29, 2015, 9:49AM

Love the addition of cinnamon – I’m guessing it smells even more sumptuous. We use all natural all organic ingredients, and only use coconut oil as our base oil. We never add fragrance, and so are great for people with sensitive skin. Thanks for sharing this great recipe!