DIY Yoga Mat Cleaning Spray

Post image for DIY Yoga Mat Cleaning Spray

We do yoga to take care of our bodies, but there’s something else that we mustn’t forget to provide with a little TLC from time to time: our yoga mats. You can totally go out and buy a cleaner for your mat… OR you can make one yourself.

The fun part about making this spray is that you get to play around with different ratios, and mix and match the types of oils you want to include in order to make your ideal scent. If you haven’t seen our post from earlier this week, there are tons of different benefits of different scents, so grab your favorite essential oils and get to mixing!

Here’s what you need:

Essential Oils for DIY Yoga Mat Spray

Witch Hazel for DIY Yoga Mat Spray

Spray Bottle: You can use any spray bottle you like. Think about how often you’re going to use this cleaner. If you’ll be using it daily, you may want to use a larger spray bottle so that you don’t have to re-make the solution so often. It’s also important to note the size of the nozzle. I used a bottle with a pretty small nozzle, but if you plan on doing some heavy duty yoga mat cleaning, you may want a larger one.

Essential Oils: Any essential oils will do, but it’s important to include those with antibacterial properties, such as tea tree, lemongrass, lavender, peppermint, and eucalyptus. For this particular spray, I chose lavender, eucalyptus, and lemongrass.

Witch Hazel: This is the main cleaning agent in this mixture. You can use any kind of witch hazel, or even white vinegar if you prefer.

Water: Water should be about 3/4 the entire mixture. It dilutes the mixture, keeping it from being too overpowering. You can use any type – bottled, tap… it’s up to you!

Water for DIY Yoga Mat Spray

Step 1: Fill your bottle about 3/4 full with water.

Witch Hazel DIY Yoga Mat Spray

Step 2: Pour in witch hazel almost to the top of the bottle, leaving a little room for oil. For a more powerful cleaner, use slightly less water and slightly more witch hazel.

Lavender Oil for DIY Yoga Mat Spray

Step 3: Experiment with your oils – this is the fun part! Try starting with one drop of each oil, and then adding more in different amounts until you reach your ideal scent. Keep in mind that essential oils have a very strong aroma, so be careful not to use too much of them. If your solution does end up being too powerful, pour some out, and add more water. Once you’ve perfected your scent, mix the solution thoroughly, cap your bottle, and you’re ready to clean!

Now for the cleaning…

Cleaning Yoga Mat with DIY Spray

Cleaning Yoga Mat

Spray solution generously, covering one side of your mat. Wipe down your mat with a damp cloth. Repeat on the other side and then hang to dry! It should take 5-10 minutes to dry completely.

More yoga posts on the BLDG 25 blog!

Check out our new FP Movement yoga line!

Tags:

Comments

Sophia Grace -July 8, 2012, 1:03PM

I love this. Thank you.

Ellie Kathryn -July 8, 2012, 2:57PM

Just one comment on this! The oils may smell pretty but they will damage any mat that is anti-slip because they are made of open-cell technology…the oils will block the pores of the mat, and prevent it from wicking moisture to make it anti-slip…so spray wisely to prevent slips! :)

Britany Wolf -July 8, 2012, 3:40PM

so ellie, what would you reccomend to clean your mat?

lacheshirechat -July 9, 2012, 6:39AM

Slightly confused, you write: “Water should be about ¼ the entire mixture.” But then you write: “Step 1: Fill your bottle about 3/4 full with water.” I’m guessing there’s a typo, but which one, please?

Kind regards, Kitty

fp brigette -July 9, 2012, 9:38AM

Kitty – It’s 3/4! Thanks so much for pointing that out! :)

Zoe -July 9, 2012, 12:13PM

Such a great idea, love it.

Zoe

Bahaur -July 12, 2012, 2:30AM

I really want to try this, where did you get the essential oils from?

GSD -July 25, 2012, 2:07PM

Great tip, can’t wait to try it out.

Matting -July 29, 2012, 12:36PM

Great things you’ve always shared with us. Thanks. Just continue composing this kind of post. The time which was wasted in traveling for tuition now it can be utilized for studies. Thanks for this knowledgeable blog.

Andrew -February 2, 2013, 1:34PM

Make sure to shake well before each use; the essential oils will separate from the water! Niaouli, lemon and myrrh are also good choices

Melissa -February 4, 2013, 4:51PM

I can’t wait to make the yoga mat cleaner!

Crystal -June 29, 2013, 10:40AM

@ Ellie…I’ve seen a recipe for 3:1 ratio of water to white vinegar. Vinegar has antibacterial/anti-fungal properties. I used it for cleaning when I was a housekeeper and the smell would fade rather quickly from hard surfaces. However, not sure about a porous mat. :/ How long are we supposed to expect our mats to last anyway? I paid $15 for mine. If it lasts two or three years I will be happy. If I paid $85 it would be a different story. By the way, the premixed mat cleaner my yoga teacher uses is chock full of oils. Go figure.

Bob Hannum -July 7, 2013, 1:33PM

Great recipe – just tried it and it’s now my favorite – and I especially like your inclusion of antifungal/antibacterial oils after reading an alarming article about mat health risks (http://www.PilatesLessons.org/Pilates-mat-risks.html)
Thx,
Bob

where to buy garcinia cambogia in canada -July 30, 2013, 5:57AM

I feel that is among the so much significant information
for me. And i’m happy studying your article. However want to remark on few common things, The site taste is great, the articles is really excellent : D. Good task, cheers

Laura -September 11, 2013, 2:24PM

This is great! I’ve been making my own cleaners for a while now and have learned a few other things so I thought I would share. Keep in mind that I have a Manduka mat and they are not porous like other mats, I haven’t tried this cleaner with my regular mat.
-Natural mineral sea salt is also anti bacterial. I boil it in water for a few minutes and use it with a combination of antibacterial essential oils for my mat cleaner. I use the same size bottle as the one in the article, and use 6-10 drops of oil (depending on strength of certain oils smells).
-The place I take classes uses a water/ alcohol mixture, which has worked well for my mat.
-I have also read that if your mat is stinky, you can wash and lay it out in the sun for a few hours to get rid of the smell.

I’m getting way nerdy here:
Ellie Kathryn, who posted above, says the essential oils block the pours of the mats which makes sense. I wonder how our own body oils and salts affect the pours of the mats? I know that sweat gets trapped in the mat pours and eventually makes the mat stink. So, Ellie Kathryn (or anyone else reading this), do you have any knowledge about this?

Thanks again for the article!
Laura

Castlemartin -November 6, 2013, 2:15PM

I really disagree! I am stunned this really did happen in this day and age. I was relieved I am not running. We need to know about the future. I am going to keep an eye on what is happening to this.

karen -December 3, 2013, 12:50PM

Approximately how many drops of oil do you add to the mixture?

Castlemartin -December 19, 2013, 7:49PM

Gobsmacked! I still am startled that this happened in modern day times. I am relieved I am not running. The gaffers need to know about the future. I will keep track of the evolution in the future.

site -January 1, 2014, 2:43PM

With havin so much content do you ever run into any issues of plagorism or copyright infringement?

My website has a lot of completely unique content I’ve either written myself or outsourced but it seems a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my agreement.
Do you know any methods to help protect against content from being stolen?
I’d really appreciate it.

Phaedra -March 26, 2014, 6:07PM

Thanks for this! When our store-bought cleaner runs out I’ll make up a batch. I was told by a customer when I worked at a nat’l food store that alcohol in a solution like this will act as an emulsifier that allows the essential oils to mix w/ the water in the solution. You still have to shake it, tho. I expect that’s partly why the witch hazel – it must do the same thing… My customer used vodka! (Guess she had a good supply on hand. LOL.)

Erikka -July 6, 2014, 10:52PM

I agree with not using essential oils on a non-slip mat. I have had my mat for several years now. It’s non-slip and the only thing I’ve used to clean it is vinegar.