September Catalog Sneak Peek: Who’s That Girl?

Post image for September Catalog Sneak Peek: Who’s That Girl?

Our September catalog was shot by Guy Aroch, who captures model Martha Hunt on the streets of London in a paparazzi-inspired style. Based around the concept of the modern “it girl” whose every move is documented, Martha dodges the camera as she does everyday things like taking out the trash and going to yoga, working on set and going out at night with her boyfriend, played by model Danny Fox. We love this book and the story it tells, and can’t wait for it to drop on Tuesday along with our new site for Free People UK! Here’s a sneak peek. :)

free people september catalog

free people september catalog

free people september catalog

free people september catalog

free people september catalog

Tags: , , , , ,

Comments

WENDY -August 30, 2012, 9:21AM

Her outfits are beautiful but she is way too skinny!!!! It is disturbing to look at her!!!!

Devin -August 30, 2012, 10:31AM

I think she’s skinny but she looks healthy. Some people are just naturally like that and plus, she is tall. Beautiful photos.

Gurley Girl -August 30, 2012, 11:04AM

Can’t wait to see it!!! I want the leopard print coat soooooooo badly

Maura Grunheidt -August 30, 2012, 1:16PM

I liked it a lot / / / / /

Montana -August 30, 2012, 3:30PM

OMG OMG OMG dying over those patchwork flares!

Samantha -August 30, 2012, 4:47PM

Love the concept for this catalog. City girls ftw!

megan -August 30, 2012, 6:18PM

feel like i went back in time for just a moment while looking at these photos! :)

Boho -August 30, 2012, 10:50PM

Sorry but those black and grey stipes look like a prison uniform. Really!!!! Bad idea.

Mary R. -August 30, 2012, 10:53PM

Very cool!!!!

Casey -August 30, 2012, 10:55PM

Martha’s beautiful. To those making negative comments about her body – do you like it when people make negative comments about yours? Her body isn’t a threat to you.

Lu -August 30, 2012, 10:57PM

i adore it, i adore you ♥

MARTIIN -August 30, 2012, 10:59PM

muy flacas esas chicas , no tienen gracia casi insulsas , se luciria mejor la ropa en chicas mas normales

marie -August 30, 2012, 11:03PM

I agree with Wendy, she is definitely way too skinny. But I guess I can see why they chose here: she’s built like a coat hanger.
Devin, if that’s what healthy looks like to you, you must be living in Ethiopia or something…

Carmen -August 30, 2012, 11:11PM

i just love all your clothe. i have recently placed my first order with you and look forward to receiving it very soon! i hope the sizing is perfect :)

Bear -August 30, 2012, 11:54PM

Let me start off by saying I am NOT trying to
Bash this model because of her body. I am just saying she appears to be thinner than mOst of the models Free People typically features. I would have expected better from a company I love. The way the clothes fit her give most of the female population no help in deciding if things would look good on them. Please feature healthier looking models in the future. Again, I am
Not saying this woman has any problems, I guess I just prefer to see a bit more filled out models.

cat -August 31, 2012, 12:09AM

I really like some of these clothes but I wont be buying any of them unfortunately.
The model is very pretty but she in no way reflects my body type – I am very fit and healthy and while I have a lean body from exercise (run 50km+ each and 3 sessions of hot yoga a week) I have a lot more flesh and muscle then her. Because of this difference I cant visualise how the clothes would look on more fleshed out bodies like my own. While I acknowledge that she may well have a healthy lifestyle her slim frame is a long way off that of the average woman, meaning that there is a chance that your target market has been missed…. hope this isn’t the case and happy to be proven wrong by fantastic sales on your behalf… looking forward to the next catalogue and my fingers will be crossed for some items that I can see myself in :)

LK -August 31, 2012, 12:23AM

In the same spirit as Bear and cat, why not do an entire catalog featuring the FP Philly home office girls? I can relate to their bodies more than I can with super models.

Casey -August 31, 2012, 1:01AM

:| Good God. I’m 5’7″ and 150lbs – am I one of few women who knows what will look good WITHOUT having to see it on someone with a body like mine? It’s really not that hard. Most of FP’s fans should know what pattern, cut, and overall style will best suit their body — and they should definitely know whether or not they have the confidence to wear something, without having to be negative towards somebody else about it. If you’re choosing to NOT buy from a company simply because you’re not seeing your “clone”, you may as well stop shopping and make your own clothes. I’d hate to be modeling clothes for a company only to have a hoard of women complain about how they’re 4’11″, or 220lbs, and that the company needs to replace me with somebody like them; people who, for some odd reason, lack the ability to decide what to wear simply because we don’t look alike. That’s really a sorry excuse. :T

I don’t feel threatened or discourage by models. Just because you look differently from them doesn’t give you the right to condemn them for how they’re built (or to try and define what the “average” body looks like). Women bringing women down, over clothing – of all things, is probably the most unattractive thing.

Narissa -August 31, 2012, 1:38AM

I couldn’t agree more with Devin and Casey. Some people are naturally born with that type of body. My grandma and mom included. Their pants size are 23.. sometime smaller.

rose -August 31, 2012, 3:02AM

Stunning model! Total Kate Moss beauty! I am slender and a ballet dancer for god’s sake and not THAT thin. I was at one point that tiny and clothes hung COMPLETELY different. A super tight dress looked scary as oppose to now where it looks sexy. It can be very difficult to determine how something will hang on your frame when you’re more filled out. I believe that Free People shouldn’t adhere to the typical high fashion standard of tiny models. I agree their other models are slightly more filled out and easier to determine how clothes will look on women such as myself. But don’t get me wrong she’s a beauty!

Brianna -August 31, 2012, 8:58AM

Martha Hunt is gorgeous. But don’t kid yourself people, she is wayyyyy too skinny. I feel bad for her.

Nina -August 31, 2012, 2:36PM

I’m the same size as the model, possibly even smaller (5’11.5″ and 120lbs). I don’t have an eating disorder, and I am perfectly healthy. I just have a skinny body type. People say shame on free people for using a skinny model but I see nothing wrong with it. As many people above mentioned, they don’t stick to one particularly body type for their models and for that they should be applauded. No one is one particular size. Just because this model doesnt look like you doesn’t mean that she doesn’t look like someone else. So when you say that there is something wrong with how she looks and her body type you are doing the same as what you preach against. How about instead of bashing on my body type and telling me there is something wrong with how I look, I think time would be better spent making an effort to make sure that all body types are represented by the clothing companies we buy from. I have no problem viewing photos of clothes I want worn by people of different body types and really you shouldn’t either. It’s about type people start moving beyond blaming people for the way they look. Theres nothing wrong with me and there’s nothing wrong with you. Get over it.

Kelly -August 31, 2012, 11:22PM

These are all beautiful outfits, especially the outfits in first and fourth photos. And yes, she is thin, but she is not too skinny. In fact, I think she is very very pretty, like Kate Moss.

meKCA -September 1, 2012, 8:33AM

You know what? Some people are skinny. Some people are skinny and can eat donuts everyday and still stay skinny. Some people are skinny and healthy. Deal with it.

Liz Holmes -September 1, 2012, 7:54PM

The problem with any emaciated model being held up as beautiful is that Free People clothes are marketed to young women — who battle a culture that tells them every single day that they are too fat — and that the only way to be beautiful is to be a size 2 or smaller. I just received this catalog in the mail — and there is not one image in it of a lovely woman with a body type that reflects the real world. Yes, the world contains skinny women — and short women and athletically built women and plus-sized women. Where are they in this catalog?. It’s ironic, because when my daughters and I go into a Free People store, we can always find clothes that fit and look beautiful on both of my girls (one a 5’10″ ballet dancer and the other a 5’7″ softball player — and both with the stereotypical body types of their sports).

But if you can look at this particular image and not see that she is unhealthy (that is, of course, if the image has not been photoshopped — another insidious way the fashion industry poisons the minds of our daughters) then you are in denial about what constitutes a realistically healthy body type. I would be more inclined to agree with the “she just happens to be skinny” argument if there were even one photograph in the catalog of a woman wearing anything larger than an American size 4.

Gulsah -September 1, 2012, 8:34PM

Martha has been featured plenty times on Free People. Why is she a problem now? She’s absolutely beautiful, and to be honest… it makes it EASIER for me to see how the outfit will fit rather than trying to guess. She looks absolutely STUNNING, these clothes are exactly my style, makeup and hair are SPOT ON, the man is hot, the story of this catalog is different, and the video is done REALLY well! I liked this video better than others in the past! Free People shouldn’t be about hate. It’s unfair for me to come to look at this blog and seeing people say things about a woman’s body. Bodies are beautiful no matter what shape or size. It’s disappointing to me… especially on a Free People post.

Martha, you are a beautiful beautiful woman! God bless your soul! :] x

wendy -September 2, 2012, 11:35AM

I think that people write on here to state their opinions AND fortunately opinions are NOT WRONG OR RIGHT, they are JUST opinions. Stop firing one another and just state what you think. I still love free people and I’m still going to buy from them even though yes the model is too skinny (my opinion). Fortunately free people doesn’t only market to super skinny people or average or extra pounds people they market to everyone.

wendy -September 2, 2012, 11:37AM

AND YESS Martha is too skinny AND yes that might be her natural self none of you know that because she has a private life like everyone else that is private.

wendy -September 2, 2012, 11:37AM

True! She reminds me of Kate Moss…very beautiful girl.

Holly -September 3, 2012, 11:00PM

I love the pants in the second photo. Gotta love Guy Aroch’s work!

Rabbit -September 7, 2012, 8:34PM

I just can’t believe that this model is “naturally” thin. Look at her thighs; her body is eating her muscles. It’s her choice to be that thin; however, her job is to make people want to look like her, and teenage girls are indeed starving themselves. Let’s not pressure young girls this way.

Owl -September 7, 2012, 8:59PM

It would be presumptuous of me to comment on this woman’s body if she wasn’t in a field that’s all about physical appearance, but she’s marketed as a cool and mysterious it-girl. As a consumer in the store’s target demographic (probably), that DOES sound like someone I’d like to be, but I’m awake enough to see that it’s an unhealthy illusion. It’s not about her height or weight, it’s about her unusual absence of muscles or body fat. Not only does it disturb me that readers are supposed to want to look like her, I don’t want this woman to suffer in order to get a job in a catalogue I patronize. Even if you disagree with me, doesn’t this “controversy” itself distract from the clothes, the camera work, or the fact that she is, indeed, a beauty?

Owl -September 7, 2012, 9:07PM

Also, in response to some of the commenters here, I haven’t seen one person who’s expressed concern about her body show malice or hate towards Martha. I think every single person who’s commented here (on both sides of the argument) comes from a place of compassion and kindness towards the catalogue’s readers and models. We just have different perceptions, neither are wrong or inherently mean-spirited.

Hej -December 1, 2012, 3:32PM

A girl with very very very skinny legs.. bah!

Aleigh -May 1, 2013, 9:43PM

What is Free People doing to promote a realistic body image for women? As far as I’ve seen, not much. HEY, FREE PEOPLE, how about choosing some healthy and curvy models?