DIY: How To Make Rose Water

Post image for DIY: How To Make Rose Water

UPDATE: This post originally ran on January 31st 2013, but with Spring around the corner we wanted to share it again!

Valentine’s Day is just a couple of weeks away and it’s a time to show the special people in your life how much you love them…but it’s also a great time to pamper yourself! Loving and taking care of yourself is always important, and this DIY will help you do just that. Rose water was first made by chemists in the Islamic Golden Age as a perfume and beverage, and in the years since it has become quite popular for a number of uses.   Most commonly it is used as a toner or body spray for the skin – the natural fragrance and moisturizing properties make it especially refreshing. It can also be used to flavor certain dishes, or added to lemonade for a delicious summer beverage. Make a batch and keep some for yourself, and bottle the rest up as gifts for your friends and loved ones!

how to make rose water

What you need: fresh roses, a large pot and distilled water.

There are a couple of ways to make rose water.  There’s the old fashioned way, which I did, or there’s a slightly more complicated process.  For that process you will also need a heat-safe bowl.

how to make rose water

Start by plucking the petals from the roses – you won’t need the bulb or stems. The fresher your roses are, the better your results will be.  If you can cut your own roses, that would be your best bet. If you must buy them from a store (like I did) rinse the petals in some cool water to get rid of any potential chemicals.

how to make rose water

Place the rose petals in a large pot and fill with just enough distilled water to cover the rose petals. Too much water will dilute the rose water.  Cover with a lid and let simmer until the petals lose their color. This is also where the two methods differ – for the other method you would place the heat safe bowl on top of the petals, and cover the pot with a lid.  As the petals simmer, steam will collect on the lid of the pot and drip in to the bowl, which is pure rose water. The old fashioned method that I use is still effective but the rose water just might not be as pure.

how to make rose water

Once the petals lose their color, drain the liquid into a jar – this is your rose water! Store in a cool place and give your skin a spritz whenever you need a sweet and refreshing little pick me up!

how to make rose water

how to make rose water

More DIY projects and beauty tips from the BLDG 25 Blog.

Photos by Julia.

Tags: , , , , ,

Comments

Morgan -January 31, 2013, 9:49AM

So is it safe to use any type of rose?? Thos is such a cool DIY project thank you so much! I absolutely love rose water!!!

Agnès -January 31, 2013, 10:00AM

My great grandmother used to make her own rose water, and she would add in a bit of boric acid, for preserving. I think I’m going to make some right now!

Radha -January 31, 2013, 10:10AM

It is necessary to use organic or non sprayed roses. The pesticides cannon be rinsed off with cool water.
Fun project!
I would also advise storing in the fridge for freshness!

Lox -January 31, 2013, 10:52AM

These are my favorite type of posts. Thanks for the inspiration, as always!

Dana -February 1, 2013, 2:00AM

I just ran out of rose water toner today and thought…I bet I can make this stuff. Thanks for this! It’s also a very refreshing drink.

Kirsten Otterlei -February 1, 2013, 9:54AM

Wow!! This is so awesome I have been searching for rose water to buy in stores and can’t seem to find it. I have to share the best mint tea recipe. My favorite resturant here in Portland, OR Marrakesh a Moroccan resturant gave it to me. Just a couple simple ingredients!

XPeppermint tea (loose leaf or bags)
Xfresh mint from your garden or local grocery store
Xmint extract
Xcane sugar
Xrose water (free people DIY recipe as above)

Instructions-
The amounts you use of each ingredient is up to you, experiment to your liking. In a medium pot I usually use 5-6 tea bags, about 2 teaspoons of mint extract, 1/3-1/2 cup cane sugar, a handful of fresh mint stems, and 1/4-1/3 cup rose water.

I love this tea on a typical cloudy day when’s its cold + raining. But this is great any day and any time!

Happie tea drinking!

Snow -February 3, 2013, 8:52PM

Rose water smells delicious and tastes delicious. I love it!

steph -February 4, 2013, 12:51PM

how important is it to use distilled water? I just got a few roses as a gift so I would love to make this now if i could! thanks for the post!

Meghan -February 7, 2013, 3:30PM

This almost looks too pretty too pretty to drink. ;)

Bruce the DIY man -February 12, 2013, 4:56AM

I have started following you on Twitter, I love your brilliant ideas. I am a DIY person myself but not in this area…more on the technical handyman kind of thing. My wife is interested in learning to make perfume from flowers and I am sure if i continue following you will get the hints and tips. Great blog and please share more ideas on perfume making.

Celia -February 13, 2013, 1:10PM

If can use organically grown roses. Less chemicals to be absorbed by your skin. Don’t forget everything you put on your shin goes to your liver.

mandesecorry -March 7, 2013, 5:36AM

Wao..! it is very good and i am inspire about your work because i can see first time of practical for making of roses water.

LaurenS -March 16, 2013, 4:58PM

I saved this to Pinterest the first time it was posted and I’ve been wanting to try it. Thanks for the reminder!

DIYEARTE - DIY -March 18, 2013, 12:40PM

can’t wait to try!!!! :D

WE❤DIY:
DIYEARTE – DIY

Tatiana -May 1, 2013, 1:23PM

My rose water smells like brussels sprouts. What did I do wrong?

Rachel -June 1, 2013, 8:05PM

I bought some rose water from my local Heath foods store but I’m not sure if it’s the same thing, could you tell me? The ingredients are purified water and aromatic oil of rose.

maia -June 14, 2013, 6:21PM

thankyou so much rose water is wonderful and I would love to make it thankyou so much for posting this

Dorothy -June 20, 2013, 9:06PM

i’m going to try this with peony petals tomorrow :)

Lovely Willow -June 27, 2013, 1:40AM

May I know how long does the boiling takes place?

catherine punjani -July 6, 2013, 4:46PM

It’s so easy to make rose water…thanks for the post.

Reena -July 13, 2013, 5:45AM

Hi ,

I have gone though your post, its very informative, please share more information, awaiting for your next post. Sevenoaks restaurant

Thanks and Regards
Reena

Kyte -July 14, 2013, 3:45AM

hi there!!!!

this is truly helpful to finish my DIY blog. i hope you don’t mind that i’ve linked your website with mine just for the readers to know the simplest way of making rose water. the blog is still in process. but if you have time, i’ll send you the direct link to it. more power to your site!

www.youtube.com clip emusic free trial -July 28, 2013, 5:51AM

I was suggested this blog by my cousin. I’m no longer sure whether or not this put up is written through him as no one else know such specified about my difficulty. You are wonderful! Thank you!

Lina -August 23, 2013, 4:24PM

When I made the rose water it was a yellow color, did I do something wrong?

quest bars www -October 6, 2013, 10:23PM

Hi friends, pleasant paragraph and pleasant urging commented at this place, I am actually enjoying by these.

jackie -October 16, 2013, 9:32PM

My rose water turned red should I dilute for toner as it is quite a strong dye

keya -October 24, 2013, 3:00AM

how many days it can be stored?

Katrina -December 14, 2013, 1:02PM

If using roses bought from a florist or the grocery store I would be really hesitant to drink the rose water. They are grown with a lot of pesticides and fertilizers and whatnot and not really intended for consumption, I don’t know that a simple rinsing would do the trick.

jitendra -February 4, 2014, 1:38AM

this is very helpful blog but i want the more information for rose destillation water………..

JoJo -February 9, 2014, 11:20AM

I had suffered from anxiety for many years. I met a lady when I worked in the hospital emergency room. We started to talk and for some reason, she started to talk about one of her phobias which was her anxiety. She stated she tried all sorts of medication with bad side effects. She started her research on all types of herbs, which she figures…why deal with bad side affects from medication, when she could go all natural. She started using Rose Water and never felt so great. Now she has a small green house with all types of herbs and flowers.

Megan of Tried-and-True -February 26, 2014, 3:23PM

I recently came across a different Rosewater DIY that used the more complicated method in order to get pure rosewater. I can definitely attest, the old fashion-ed way is much easier! I encountered several issues when making my rosewater. But, if you want to avoid some of the mistakes I made, or get some tips before you start, you should check out my post below!

Megan