Decor DIY: Painted Glass Bottles

Post image for Decor DIY: Painted Glass Bottles

I’ve been accumulating a lot of glass bottles lately…I always tend to pick them up at flea markets or if I come across one in a store. I love the way plain glass bottles look, but I decided I wanted to give my apartment a pop of color by coating the inside of some of the bottles with paint and creating a little display. This is such an easy project and the results are beautiful!

glass bottles

What you need: glass bottles of varying shapes/sizes, and acrylic paint.

acrylic paint

I chose a range of blue, green, and yellow shades. I wanted the bottles to be different colors but very similar shades. I decided on green as my base color and mixed in blue and yellow to get different green tones.

paint in glass bottle

All you do is pour the paint inside the bottles, and tilt them to move the paint around until the entire inside is covered. It’s actually pretty relaxing :).

painted mason jar

painted glass bottles

Let your bottles dry (mine took a few hours to fully dry), and then you can decorate with them as you wish!

painted glass bottles

I mixed in some clear bottles with my painted ones, and I love the way it looks!

flowers in painted glass bottles

flowers in painted glass bottles

More decor ideas and DIY projects from the BLDG 25 Blog.

Tags: , , , , ,

Comments

Anna -May 29, 2013, 12:01PM

Hi people of free people!!
I desperately need your help! My best friend is graduating music school in a few days and I have no idea what to give her, so I thought maybe you could help me to figure something out!
She is a singer and some of her music idols are Paolo Nutini, the Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel, Joss Stone, Ella fitzgerald, First Aid Kit, Fleet Foxes, toto and the list goes on.
At first I wanted to give her something that could inspire her to write her own music and I found your DIY note book http://blog.freepeople.com/2012/12/diy-sweet-stocking-stuffer/#more-69781
Since you are such creative people I thought you could give me some inspiration.

Lots of Love, Anna :)

April -May 30, 2013, 12:16PM

I always end up with so many glass jars and bottles over time, and I’ve been looking for something just like this to use them for :D Thanks!!

andie -May 30, 2013, 11:54PM

do you put a ton of paint inside the bottles?

Sundal -May 31, 2013, 6:27PM

Looks cool!

April, you can also leave the labels on and just fill them with spring blossom like I did here:

But I may also try this DIY with a translucent paint so the light shines through. Thanks for sharing this, guys.

Ellie -June 1, 2013, 1:26AM

check out my DIY on flowered head pieces/crowns, I know free people sells them but I have created a home-made one with affordable materials :)

Sarah -June 2, 2013, 11:39AM
Julie -July 13, 2013, 4:24AM

very nice pictures of your bottles! i also love to paint and give a new life to bottles and you are all kindly invited to my blog!

Natalia -July 19, 2013, 5:56PM

I am definitely trying this right now! all the pretty shaped jars i find at the beach, the possibilities are endless, i love it! Thanks for the idea and tutorial!

Knitascarf -August 13, 2013, 12:08PM

I tried this and it looks great. http://www.learnhowtoknitascarf.com

Carolyn -August 26, 2013, 8:55AM

This is great. I make glass vases covered in rope. The glue from the glue gun shows through. I’m using this technique to finish them off. Thank you.

Anonymous -September 19, 2013, 6:42PM

The paint in mine never dried, and all of the paint dripped down to the bottom, and it just looks like crap now. Did I do something wrong?

HEATHER FAT -October 1, 2013, 2:04PM

Thank you for sharing this – it is so helpful and informative. I recently started painting and decorating can tins and decided to have a go at painting glass. I can’t wait to get started.

HEATHER FOAT -October 1, 2013, 2:05PM

Sorry – I misspelt my surname. This is the correct way.

Kristen -January 27, 2014, 12:18AM

If u fill the vase with water will the paint come off?

Lis -January 28, 2014, 10:06PM

SO pretty. I tried this in a modern/abstract version and now am obsessed. They’re just so easy (and cheap!) You can check out my painted jars here:

Erica -March 6, 2014, 12:28PM

Can you put water and flowers in them after they are painted? Will it wash off? Will it kill the flowers?

ASraa Zoubidi -August 4, 2014, 8:04PM

Hi i Am Asraa Zoubidi and i go our LADY OF THE SACRED HEART COLLEGE and i am in year 11 and i am doing community studies and i am Research about glass bottle and i need some infromation about glass bottles .

Asraa Zoubidi