How To Grow Fresh Sprouts In Winter

Post image for How To Grow Fresh Sprouts In Winter

This guest post comes from our contributor FP Naomi.

Guess what? There is a vegetable that you can grow in the dead of winter. Sprouts. All kinds.

It’s really cool because you can grow them with old glass jars (up-cycle!) and you don’t need any sun or dirt — just water. I found myself in a health foods store staring down a diverse range of sprouting kits when I figured it out. It took everything in me not to walk out of the store with the over-priced contraption, but I figured there would be a better way. I went home and put together my own kit. I’ve been growing sprouts ever since!

Why Eat Sprouts: You’re essentially eating seeds (protein) and they’re packed with fiber, vitamins, and healthy enzymes. When the little seeds go through the soaking and sprouting process, the proteins change to have increased nutritional value, and the vitamin content can increase by up to 20%.

growing sprouts in winter

What You’ll Need:

Glass jar – try to use something up-cyled, ie. an old jar from almond butter, ghee, kimchee, or jam.

Rubber band – most produce comes with a rubber band around it, keep them for projects like this!

Mesh - try to avoid metal, which will rust. I got plastic mesh at Home Depot in the window department. Cheese cloth works well too.

Scissors

Sprouting Seeds - look for organic non-GMO sprouting seeds. I got mine from Handy Pantry. Their Three Part Salad Mix is especially tasty.

growing sprouts in winter

Directions:

Place your old lid on the mesh, and cut around it with one extra inch on all sides.

Fill one tenth of the jar with seeds.

Place the mesh over your jar, and rubber band it on.

Fill with water, and let seeds soak for roughly 6 hours. Drain.

Rinse your seeds 2-3 times a day. After 3-4 days, you will have sprouts!

Throw them on a salad, in a sandwich, or (my favorite) on a breakfast wrap. Enjoy!

growing sprouts in winter

Check out Naomi’s blog Numie Abbot!

Tags: , , , ,

Comments

Annejelina -November 15, 2013, 11:12AM

OoOoooo gotta try this! Looks like a little science experiment haha =)
<3 Annejelina

Visit my shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrownofCreationShop

Dani -November 15, 2013, 1:15PM

This… this is awesome.

And my cats won’t be able to eat my indoor garden this way!!
Thanks <3 <3 <3 <3

Dani

Kelsey -November 15, 2013, 1:20PM

I definitely have to try this!! Do you keep refilling with new water 2-3 times a day?

Vivi -November 15, 2013, 1:37PM

Sprout soup. Sprout salad. And for desert a lovely sprout crumble.

(Quote from a TV show. Sorry if I’ve confused anyone. I couldn’t resist)

Naomi -November 15, 2013, 2:27PM

Kelsey, you fill up the jar and immediately drain it 2-3 times a day. Your jar should never be full of water except at the beginning when you soak the seeds for 6 hours. Make sense?

Vivi – lmao ;)

Juliette Laura -November 15, 2013, 3:38PM

Ohhh sprouts are my favorite! I will have to make these!

xo, Juliette Laura

kathy -November 17, 2013, 4:31AM

Another thing that’s great for covering you jar is knee high stocking. Also eliminates the need for a rubber band

Anonymous -November 22, 2013, 10:07AM

i tried this and i found that it was something that needed a lot of attention! The sprouts like to stick together in the jar if they aren’t mixed around often. Also! I did not know that when seeds meet the air, they mold. I saved a bag of seeds so that I could make another batch after I ate the first one :p and In a few days, I had a bag of mold where my seeds used to be. Anyway! I have to try this again and pay better attention next time.

cindy -December 8, 2013, 7:47AM

we loves sprouts. the easiest are sprouted lentils. they make sprouting wide mouth mason jar lids. they are so easy to use and clean.

Kelsey -January 13, 2014, 12:22PM

Do you refill it with water after you rinse every time? Definitely need to do this! Winters in Canada are terrible, so having some fresh, homegrown sprouts would be magical.

Kelsey -May 12, 2014, 1:33PM