Holiday Detox Smoothie

Post image for Holiday Detox Smoothie

The holidays are a time of enjoyment… enjoyment of the warm company of friends and family… and enjoyment of food, as well. After all of that enjoying, it’s nice to give the the mind and body a little detox, to go into the new year feeling fresh, clean, and ready for everything it has to offer!

Fruit and vegetable smoothies and drinks are one of the most readily-available ways to detox your body. They’re simple to make, they taste absolutely delicious, and they’ll have you feeling light and energized straight away.

Pile of blueberries

In this particular recipe, blueberry and pomegranate are of high importance! Not only do these fruits flush out toxins from the body, they’re also two of the most antioxidant-rich foods out there! They’re also anti-inflammatory and can help prevent serious illnesses like heart disease and cancer. We’re also using apple, which helps remove toxins from the body due to its alkalinity; kale, which contains lots of fiber and sulfur — both of which help detoxify by aiding liver function; and cucumber, which, in addition to flushing out toxins, has also been thought to dissolve kidney stones!

Holiday detox smoothie

Ingredients:
Serves 2

3/4 cup blueberries, frozen
1 cup pure pomegranate juice
2 large kale leaves
1 medium apple, peeled
1 medium cucumber, peeled

Directions:

Cut kale, cucumber, and apple into small pieces. Add everything into a blender and mix until liquefied. Feel free to add ice for less of a liquidly consistency, or water to dilute. Serve immediately.

Holiday detox smoothie

Holiday detox smoothie

More healthy recipes from the BLDG 25 Blog.

Follow FP Brigette on Twitter.

Tags: , , ,

Comments

Beka -December 24, 2013, 10:11AM

I’m seeing here another reference to alkalinity in food being a health benefit. The only benefit to eating non-acidic foods is that it won’t provoke heartburn & indigestion. Alkaline diets or “alkaline water” don’t change your body ph or make you healthier. If your body experiences a change in ph it is to to something fatal like kidney failure. Also,apples are actually about 3.5 on the ph scale, making them acidic, not alkaline. This is a healthy detox smoothie, but please tell us the real reasons it is healthy. Don’t fall for “water cure” hoaxes that people fell for in the dark ages.

Juliette Laura -December 24, 2013, 11:52AM

Oh goodness this looks absolutely perfect! Definitely making one today, after all the christmas cookies I’ve had! Have a lovely holiday!

xo, Juliette Laura

Megan -December 24, 2013, 1:20PM

This sounds delicious!!

http://wierdshaped.blogspot.co.at/ -December 25, 2013, 2:49PM

Just what I need! Nice with the mix of kale and fruits…

Welcome…where weird shapes happen:

Maya -December 25, 2013, 3:40PM

Hello!
Thank you for this post! I recently tore my acl in my right knee, completely ridding me of being able to work out and play tennis for about 3 months. I have began worrying about how I am going to stay health and in shape during my surgery and rehab. I’ve been looking around for juice and smoothies that are simple enough for me to make in the morning before school. This juice seems simple and nutritious! Would this recipe work in a juicer or in a blender? I have both so I was just wondering which one is made for this recipe! Either way, I love this recipe and I cannot wait to try it. Great post!

Jennifer -December 25, 2013, 10:55PM

Wow! This looks so GOOOOOOOOOD!!!!! I am totally going to do this. I remember last year’s detox smoothies that you posted.

Alex -December 28, 2013, 4:07AM

Made this, and adding kale to smoothies is my new favorite thing! Yum!

Erin -January 3, 2014, 11:10AM

I tried this today and it was very delicious! I modified the quantity just a bit, but still perfect nonetheless.

Ana -January 6, 2014, 3:43PM

I liked the idea of putting the cucumber in. I whizzed this up and it was very simple to do and the taste had a lovely balance. Many thanks for the tips.

wonderain -April 22, 2014, 5:45AM

looks very nice,I love purple color….