Tiger in a Jar’s Beet Cake

Post image for Tiger in a Jar’s Beet Cake

Fp Naomi, our resident chef, is away in Hong Kong right now so for today’s recipe I thought I’d share this video I came across recently. The recipe is for a cake made with beets, and although yes that does sound interesting and potentially delicious, what I love about it is the beauty of this video – it’s magically done, focusing on the physical act of making something as an art form. I couldn’t take my eyes away!

beet cake from tiger in a jar on Vimeo.

Check out their blog, Tiger in a Jar – I’m in love with pretty much everything they do.

Tags: , ,

Comments

Rachel -August 28, 2011, 9:11AM

I discovered this recipe on another blog I read. I tried the recipe and it’s delicous.
I have free people blog on google reader. I’m frequent lurker and rarely comment.
Love your blog!

Rachel:)

Taylor -August 28, 2011, 10:25AM

This goes well with Jitterbug Perfume! :D

Kelly -August 28, 2011, 2:21PM

I was thinking the same thing, Taylor! <3 beets!

aylaginger -August 28, 2011, 3:12PM

Wow! I have never in my lifetime heard of a cake made with beets but in fact it actually looks utterly delicious! I have always loved beets, so I definitely want to give this one a try!

Margo Isadora -August 28, 2011, 5:13PM

I found this vid at the beginning of the summer and like you was entranced! I love the gorgeous way they displayed the products and made the recipie. I made it for my brother upon his arrival home from 5 weeks in China! We loved it!

Anonymous -August 30, 2011, 9:08AM

Can’t wait to pull the beets out of my garden and get baking!

Tamberine -August 30, 2011, 2:48PM

Yum! and gorgeous video. It does go well with the book. My friend made stuffed shells with beet sauce once that was AMAZING, I think of that recipe when I think of making things from beets. I wish I was more into cooking…

Brittany -August 30, 2011, 3:34PM

My father has a great deal of beets growing in his garden, so yesterday I decided I would pick a few and put them to use. The cake was delicious and incredibly moist, and not overpoweringly sweet (like I found most cakes to be). My sister told me I have to make her one for her Birthday.
Chocolate cake isn’t something I will normally eat (unless my mom makes a German chocolate cake), but this is my exception number two. Next time I make it I want to try cutting back on the chocolate a bit to let the beet flavour shine through more.

Bryer -August 30, 2011, 9:38PM

What a perfect way to sneak beets into your diet! I love beets and eat them daily as I have low iron. Unfortunately, my bf does not share my love of beets. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I now have a way of making sure that he eats his beets too!

bcoram.blogspot.com

tallie -September 3, 2011, 1:59PM

I accidentally made an extra cup of beet puree. I cut the recipe in half and put just one chocolate square in. The batter was a beautiful light pink. I used it to make cupcakes instead of cake and they were divine!