Roasted Acorn Squash Bowls With Barley Spinach Salad

Post image for Roasted Acorn Squash Bowls With Barley Spinach Salad

This post is part of our recipe series for the month of October, pumpkin and squash recipes from Jill of a Better Happier St. Sebastian.

Roasted Acorn Squash Bowls with Barley Spinach Salad
serves 2

1 acorn squash, halved and seeds scooped
1/2 tbs butter
6 cloves garlic, peeled
1/2 uncooked cup pearl barley
8 oz baby spinach
1/2 tbs olive oil
1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
salt and pepper to taste

roasted acorn squash bowls

Preheat oven to 400°. With a sharp knife, score a crosshatch pattern into the flesh of squash. Rub each half with butter, season generously with salt and pepper. In each squash, place 3 cloves of garlic. Roast for 1 hour.

While squash is roasting, rinse barley until water runs clear. In a saucepan over high heat, bring barley and 1.5 cups of water to a boil, stir and reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 50 minutes. When finished, fluff with a fork and set aside.

When the squash is finished roasting, remove the garlic cloves and mash them into a paste with fork. In a skillet over medium heat, heat 1/2 tbs olive oil. Add spinach, cooked barley, and roasted garlic paste. Cook until spinach is wilted and ingredients are combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Divide between two halves of squash and top with toasted walnuts.

roasted acorn squash bowls

roasted acorn squash bowl

For more of Jill’s recipes visit her blog a Better Happier St. Sebastian.

More healthy recipes from the BLDG 25 Blog.

Tags: , , , , ,

Comments

Louise -October 27, 2013, 10:25AM

Looks so great, definitely going to try it out. I have a jar of very neglected pearl barley and this looks right up my street.
I have a question I’ve been meaning to ask the FP blogger (or anyone else who’d like to help me out), I love the style of photography you all have, and am just wondering what cameras you all use? I’m hoping to get a proper camera, and love the arty side of photography, but am hopeless at understanding the technological side. If you could let me know, I’d be so grateful. (If your sugesstions turn out to fit my price range I’d be even more grateful!!)

Jess -October 27, 2013, 11:52AM

This looks so good!! Can’t wait to taste the end result!

alyson -October 27, 2013, 1:32PM

check and save money http://www.price-hunt.com/

Juliette Laura -October 27, 2013, 4:31PM

Oh WOW this looks so delicious! Yum!

xo, Juliette Laura

Renske -October 27, 2013, 5:16PM

This looks soooooo good. It’s unfortunately we don’t have this were I live (The Netherlands). Actually I’ve never heard of it. Does it taste like pumpkin? And can I replace this with a small pumpkin? Or is the taste really different from it?

Alexa Sonken {Invitations for Creatives} -October 28, 2013, 12:06AM

These look incredibleeeeee!!!

thefemalewitness -October 28, 2013, 4:03AM

Love the look and feel of your site, looking forward to reading more, please add me to your mailing list

meg -October 28, 2013, 8:49AM
caitlin -October 28, 2013, 2:01PM

Just happened to buy an acorn squash this week and I have all of the other ingredients in my apartment already! Will definitely be trying this out :)

Emelyn -October 29, 2013, 10:54PM

I made this tonight and threw in some dried cranberries I had lying around. Definitely delicious enough to warrant an Instagram post ;)

Ashley Schultz -February 10, 2014, 7:41PM

I’m eating this right now, along with my 1-year-old baby. He loves it just as much as I do. My house smells amazing from the roasted garlic. I added a tiny sprinkling of grated Parmesan Romano cheese on top. I also used walnuts because I didn’t have walnuts and arugula in place of spinach because it was what I had on hand. Delicious!