Why are avocados so amazing? Not only do they taste delicious, they are also really good for you. The best thing about them is that there are SO many different ways to incorporate them into your diet or even your daily beauty routine. Read on for some avocado health benefits and three of my favorite ways to eat them!
Avocado fun facts:
- there are over 80 varieties of avocados. The most common is the Haas (or Hass) avocado, the roots of which can all be traced back to one single tree – which sprouted from a seed bought by Rudolph Hass in 1926 and planted in California.
- European sailors on their way to America used avocado instead of butter
Avocado Health Benefits:
- they contain many essential nutrients, including fiber, potassium, vitamins C, K and B6; these nutrients help build muscle and repair tissues, improve the immune system and are conducive to healthy skin and hair
- they are high in monounsaturated fats, which help lower blood cholesterol and keep your heart healthy
- avocado is a nutrient booster, which means it enables the body to absorb more fat-soluble nutrients in foods eaten with it (for example, eating avocado with tomato helps your body better absorb the nutrients in tomatoes)
- they are loaded with antioxidants, including familiar disease-fighting compounds such as lutein, beta-carotene, and vitamin E. Some current studies show that avocados contain compounds that could even help prevent cancer.
- they can also be used on the skin as a natural moisturizer – try mashing up an avocado and mixing it with milk or oatmeal and applying to your face to moisturize and bring out that youthful glow!
The great thing about cooking with avocados is that although they are rich, their flavor isn’t overpowering – which means there are a ton of different ways to eat them! Here are a few of my favorite quick and easy ways to eat avocados.
- one ripe avocado (skinless and pitted)
- one cup milk (use milk of choice or substitute soy or almond milk)
- 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 8 – 12 ice cubes (8 if large cubes, 12 if small)
Add all ingredients to blender and blend until smooth!
This smoothie tastes delicious and is a perfect way to start your day :) Plus, you can definitely experiment with it – try different yogurt flavors or add bananas and other ingredients!
- half a ripe avocado
- bread of choice
- lemon juice
- sea salt
This might be one of my favorite things to eat, ever! And it is so simple – mash up half an avocado, using a fork. Add a couple drops of lemon juice, and spread over toast. Sprinkle with sea salt and ground pepper and voila! Breakfast (or lunch)!
Here’s a tip – sometimes I like to drizzle a little bit of honey on it too :)
Avocado & Tomato Salad
- one tomato, sliced
- half an avocado
- balsamic vinegar
- sea salt
Last but not least, this salad is a combination of two of my favorite things – avocado and tomato! Together they make a delicious and refreshing salad that I could eat every night in the summer.
Simply slice the tomato and place the avocado wedges on top of the tomato slices. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and sprinkle some sea salt and ground pepper, eat and enjoy!
What is your favorite way to eat avocados? If you have a yummy recipe, please share!
Photos by Julia.
More healthy recipes from the BLDG 25 Blog.