Avocado Health Benefits and 3 Quick Recipes

Post image for Avocado Health Benefits and 3 Quick Recipes

Why are avocados so amazing? Not only do they taste delicious, they are also really good for you. The best thing about them is that there are SO many different ways to incorporate them into your diet or even your daily beauty routine. Read on for some avocado health benefits and three of my favorite ways to eat them!

avocado

Avocado fun facts:

- there are over 80 varieties of avocados. The most common is the Haas (or Hass) avocado, the roots of which can all be traced back to one single tree – which sprouted from a seed bought by Rudolph Hass in 1926 and planted in California.

- European sailors on their way to America used avocado instead of butter

avocado

avocado

Avocado Health Benefits:

- they contain many essential nutrients, including fiber, potassium, vitamins C, K and B6; these nutrients help build muscle and repair tissues, improve the immune system and are conducive to healthy skin and hair

- they are high in monounsaturated fats, which help lower blood cholesterol and keep your heart healthy

- avocado is a nutrient booster, which means it enables the body to absorb more fat-soluble nutrients in foods eaten with it (for example, eating avocado with tomato helps your body better absorb the nutrients in tomatoes)

- they are loaded with antioxidants, including familiar disease-fighting compounds such as lutein, beta-carotene, and vitamin E. Some current studies show that avocados contain compounds that could even help prevent cancer.

- they can also be used on the skin as a natural moisturizer – try mashing up an avocado and mixing it with milk or oatmeal and applying to your face to moisturize and bring out that youthful glow!

avocado

The great thing about cooking with avocados is that although they are rich, their flavor isn’t overpowering – which means there are a ton of different ways to eat them! Here are a few of my favorite quick and easy ways to eat avocados.

Avocado Smoothie

avocado smoothie

Ingredients:

- one ripe avocado (skinless and pitted)

- one cup milk (use milk of choice or substitute soy or almond milk)

- 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt

- 3 tablespoons honey

- 8 – 12 ice cubes (8 if large cubes, 12 if small)

Add all ingredients to blender and blend until smooth!

avocado smoothie

avocado smoothie

avocado smoothie

This smoothie tastes delicious and is a perfect way to start your day :) Plus, you can definitely experiment with it – try different yogurt flavors or add bananas and other ingredients!

Avocado Toast

avocado toast

Ingredients:

- half a ripe avocado

- bread of choice

- lemon juice

- sea salt

- pepper

This might be one of my favorite things to eat, ever! And it is so simple – mash up half an avocado, using a fork. Add a couple drops of lemon juice, and spread over toast. Sprinkle with sea salt and ground pepper and voila! Breakfast (or lunch)!

avocado toast

Here’s a tip – sometimes I like to drizzle a little bit of honey on it too :)

Avocado & Tomato Salad

avocado salad

Ingredients:

- one tomato, sliced

- half an avocado

- balsamic vinegar

- sea salt

- pepper

avocado salad

Last but not least, this salad is a combination of two of my favorite things – avocado and tomato! Together they make a delicious and refreshing salad that I could eat every night in the summer.

Simply slice the tomato and place the avocado wedges on top of the tomato slices. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and sprinkle some sea salt and ground pepper, eat and enjoy!

avocado salad

What is your favorite way to eat avocados? If you have a yummy recipe, please share!

Photos by Julia.

More healthy recipes from the BLDG 25 Blog.

Tags: , ,

Comments

Perrin -July 17, 2012, 9:35AM

Avocado and tomato topped with fresh mozzarella on a croissant is delicious; a fabulous brunch sandwich.

melissa -July 17, 2012, 9:46AM

avocado and tomato are my favorite together! I usually add a fried egg and goat cheese with some homemade balsamic vinaigrette dressing drizzled on top for the perfect breakfast!

Hannah -July 17, 2012, 9:49AM

Avocado toast has been my favorite thing to eat for the past month or so. I’ve been eating half an avocado every day because of it! I just don’t mash it up. I slice up the avocado, put it on my bagel/french bread/pita crackers/whole grain toast, squeeze some lemon juice over it, and sprinkle sea salt and red pepper flakes on top! It’s possibly the most delicious lunch I’ve had.

Katie -July 17, 2012, 10:07AM

Avocado is my favorite thing to eat. The first time I ever experienced an avocado was at a cute little vegan eatery in Los Angeles – I had avocado on toast. It was so simple, so good, and I fell in love. I like to do mashed chickpea and avocado with cilantro and lime, spread it on bread, then add spinach and tomato (and whatever else you choose) and make it a sandwich.

meg -July 17, 2012, 10:18AM

usually i just open an avocado, pour some tamari or vinegar in the hole where the pit was and eat it with a spoon. it’s my favorite sushi ingredient too, but that’s really time consuming. for a quick little sushi-esque snack i’ll take roasted nori sheets (aka Sea Snax – http://store.seasnax.com/) and wrap avocado chunks inside of it. yum!

Emily -July 17, 2012, 10:22AM

I love to make an avocado salad with chickpeas, spinach, tomatoes, garlic salt, pepper, salt, evoo, and a little bit of balsamic vinegar!!! So yummy and healthy!

Brooke -July 17, 2012, 10:39AM

They are amazing fried. Fill a frying pan with an inch or less of canola oil over medium heat and throw in avocado slices until they turn golden brown. Crisp on the outside, soft and delicious on the inside! Awesome by itself or on top of burgers or chicken tacos. Better than fried plantains!

Holly Cromer -July 17, 2012, 10:53AM

You are making me so hungry! I love avocados, they are delicious!

Lynnette -July 17, 2012, 1:42PM

Love avocados! Avocado toast sounds super yummy~ I’ve been eating guacamole nearly every day the past few weeks, maybe that’s why my skin has been looking so good :P

balletslippers -July 17, 2012, 5:17PM

Sounds strange but is seriously the best salad ever:
1 Avocado & 1 Mango (both ripe!) with Mozzarella. Mix with a dressing from balsamic vinegar, olive oil, honey and salt & pepper.

megan -July 17, 2012, 5:33PM

so hungry reading this post…i also love tomatoes and avocados together..yum!! that smoothie looked so good

Mam -July 17, 2012, 6:02PM

Frozen avocado with honey, a good yummy dessert.

Melissa -July 17, 2012, 6:14PM

Take a slice of thick bread and toast it. Spread with goat cheese. Top with tomato, sliced onion, sliced avocado. Drizzle with balsalmic vinegrette. I ate my last avocado at lunch. shoot.

reme -July 17, 2012, 6:37PM

Avocado milkshake: 1 avocado, a liter of milk, sugar and cinnamon. Delicious! Thanks for all your avocado ideas :)

sarah -July 17, 2012, 7:55PM

avocado margaritas!!

Fp julia -July 17, 2012, 9:12PM

thank you so much for all the suggestions they sound amazing!!

Colleen -July 17, 2012, 10:36PM

Avocado rice! It’s the easiest thing to make (but isn’t anything with an avocado?). Just mash it in with already-cooked rice, and it’s the most delicious thing. Add some salt, pepper, maybe just a little bit of garlic Sriracha sauce.

Avocados also work really well in quiches- try it with cheddar and bacon, so yummy.

Colleen -July 17, 2012, 10:40PM

Oh, and, the best breakfast- cut the avocado top-down in long slices, but keep the skin on. When you finish you should have a bunch of big avocado ovals with a hole where the pit was. Stick them on a frying pan and crack an egg yolk in the center and let it cook. And soon… tadaaaa just scoop it off the frying pan and on to some toast, and it’s the easiest sandwich ever.

sofija -July 21, 2012, 12:35AM

DROOLING.I need more food like this in my life,great simple recipes.Thanks for posting!!

Laura -July 23, 2012, 11:28AM

Such a brilliant love letter to the greatest food of all. I love avocado in every single humanly possible way. Yum. Great post :)

Marge -August 7, 2012, 2:33PM

These are amazing Avocado recipes! I’ve already tried the Avocado toast & smoothie! So far, the smoothie is my favorite, who would’ve thought….

The only difference is that I made them with Florida Avocados which tend to be much sweeter. I don’t live in FL so I buy them online from this website https://farmtropical.com/product/avocado/

They are grown in south florida and ship pretty fast.

Thanks for these great recipes!

Gin -August 22, 2012, 4:25PM

My fav recipe is avocado, with chopped up red pepper, and tuna. Mix together, add salt and pepper and serve on a big lettuce leaf (if you’re avoiding carbs!) or on toast! Sooo filling and tasty! (Easy to take to work in a little tub too!)

Avocado is yummy with prawns as well! Prawn cocktail sauce is SO easy to make – blobs of tomato sauce & mayo, a dash of worcester sauce, lemon juice and a couple of drops of Tabasco. Chop up the avocado and mix with the prawns and lettuce leaves, and then drizzle the sauce on top. Yum! x

gee -October 21, 2012, 1:03PM

Growing up in Puerto Rico, we live on a family property with many avocado trees. We eat them regularly with simplicity but I so appreciate this amazing blogs with great avocado recipes and feedbacks. Anyone interested in avocado imports from Puerto Rico, please inquire. Thank you and GREEN IT UP HEALTHY! GOD BLESS….

dee -November 26, 2012, 5:42AM

My fave way to eat avo is cut in half, sprinkle sugar over each half. I live on Guam and my husband just alerted me to
my avocado trees flowering in my front yard.i should be enjoying them in a few weeks. they’re larger and taste better
than Haas. Avocado is a supper food, it is a fat burning food too. Some people like it with soy sauce and my daughter
in law loves it with condensed milk.

John -January 10, 2013, 11:54AM

Thanks for these great avocado recipes! By the way, I’ve seen a short article about avocado that it’s dangerous to animals. Here it is: http://www.fruitlush.com/avocado-fun-fact.html.

Lucy -January 24, 2013, 11:22PM

Try adding some cocoa nibs to an avocadoi smoothie! Yum!

Tina Harry. -February 9, 2013, 7:09AM

What of d seed, any health benefit?

Health Benefits of Avocado -October 31, 2013, 1:37AM

Yes, it is true. The Avocado is very good for your health. Avocado is one of the best foods for muscle building. Magnesium in avocado helps with muscle development. The role of magnesium is to help with muscle contraction and muscle relaxation. Vitamin E in Avocado is beneficial in helping with muscle development.

avocado benefits -January 24, 2014, 5:52AM

Hi friends, pleasant paragraph and fastidious arguments commented at this place, I am really enjoying by
these.

retriever health -January 30, 2014, 12:29PM

I like what you guys are up too. This sort of
clever work and exposure! Keep up the fantastic works guys I’ve added you guys to blogroll.