The Benefits of Blueberries

Post image for The Benefits of Blueberries

Photo by Erica Lea

I’m a huge fan of blueberries — I love them especially during the summer months. Not only are they a beautiful colour, but what’s more appealing to me is how many benefits they have.

Blueberries have the highest antioxidant capacity of all fresh fruits. They boost up your immune system and help prevent infections.

These little berries bring out your brighter self by neutralizing free radicals that can cause the body to age. They can help your brain function better and help keep you thinking sharply in your everyday routine — they’re also a great anti-depressant.

My favorite way to eat blueberries is purely on their own or in a smoothie. What’s yours?

Try this Blueberry Bee Pollen Raw Vegan Smoothie from Young and Raw

blueberry smoothie

Ingredients:

• 1 Orange, peeled
  • 2-3 leaves of Kale
  • 1 Handful of Spinach
  • 1-2 cups Frozen Blueberries
  • 1-2 Frozen Ripened Bananas
  • 2 cups Water (add more for thinner, less for thicker consistency)
  • 2 Tablespoons Harmonic Arts BC Bee Pollen

Put everything in a blender for 30 seconds and done! Visit Young and Raw here for more delicious recipes

Read more food articles here

Tags: , , ,

Comments

megan -July 22, 2012, 12:01PM

I love blueberries, but I didn’t know how delicious they are until recently…..I bought a fruit mixture of blueberries, blackberries and strawberries….so yummy!!!

vegan -July 24, 2012, 1:10AM

bee pollen is not vegan.

omnivore -July 25, 2012, 9:03AM

Hey vegan chick, If you’re that concerned then just don’t put it in if you make it! Simple as that ya meathead… oops! I mean granola(without honey)head
(No harm just yankin your chain ;D ) By the way the recipe (vegan/not vegan) looks fantastic.

kaly -July 30, 2012, 10:38AM

BEE POLLEN IS NOT VEGAN ugh. and what we’re trying to say, omnivore, is do not label a recipe as vegan if you’re going to include a nonvegan ingredient, you know? obviously we wouldn’t include it in our version of this smoothie, but it’s irritating when people try to appeal to vegans with nonvegan recipes. duh.

Gin -August 22, 2012, 4:42PM

My fav breakfast is blueberries in greek yoghurt and a teaspoon of honey! x

Gabrielle -January 8, 2013, 4:49AM

While Dad was living he had several huge blueberry bushes. We’d get gallons of them each year & fill the freezers until the next year. Cobblers, cakes, plain, you name it, we ate them that way.
Now I buy them & eat on any cereal, add to pancakes, or make any of my dozens of recipes
men’s sexuality