Guest Post: Treat Your Pals To Something Sweet For V-Day

Post image for Guest Post: Treat Your Pals To Something Sweet For V-Day

This is a guest post from Johnie Gall of Dirtbag Darling.

While most high school students hurry off to the mall or soccer practice when the weekend hits, 16-year-old Izy Hossack escapes to the kitchen.  It’s there that the London-native bakes up creative culinary treats (photographing them with professional-grade skill) for her foodie-favorite blog, Top With Cinnamon. “I dedicate at least one day each weekend to blogging,” she explains. “Sunday is not called Sunday anymore—it’s ‘blog’ day!” Hossack created a special s’more bar recipe exclusively for us. “The coconut macaroon in these bars provides the perfect chewy base and it’s so easy to make,” she says. “I threw in a cheeky bit of white chocolate to the batter to boost the vanilla flavor and topped this layer with roasted banana, which helps to unite the other flavors. It adds a surprise dimension that everyone loves!” If you eat the entire pan by yourself, don’t say we didn’t warn you.

White Chocolate Coconut & Banana S’more Bars

1 ½ cups shredded coconut

1 tsp vanilla extract

1/8 tsp salt

2 egg whites

1/3 cup granulated sugar

1/3 cup white chocolate, chopped

2 large bananas

4 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped

2 cups mini marshmallows

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8-inch square tin with foil, then spray the foil with non-stick cooking spray or oil.

2. In a medium bowl, combine the coconut, vanilla, salt and egg whites. Stir in the chopped white chocolate and sugar.

3. Press into the lined tin.

4. Wrap the bananas in foil.

5. Place the foil-wrapped bananas and the coconut base into the oven separately. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the coconut base is golden brown and the bananas are dark and starting to seep a bit.

6. Immediately peel the bananas into a bowl and mash roughly with a fork.

7. Spread the mashed banana over the coconut base and sprinkle on the chopped chocolate.

8. Spread the chocolate evenly to cover the entire base and sprinkle with marshmallows.

9. Turn your broiler on and put the oven rack on the top third of the oven. Place the pan under the broiler for less than one minute, just until the marshmallows are toasted. Watch them closely!

10. Remove from the pan and peel away the foil. Cut s’mores bars into 12 or 16 squares. You could also make these s’mores over the barbecue by making the base in the oven ahead of time and roasting the remaining ingredients over the heat. Enjoy!

Healthy recipes from the BLDG 25 Blog!

Tags: , , , ,

Comments

diyearte by L & S -February 5, 2013, 11:26AM

woooow we love this recipe!!

WE♥DIY:
Diyearte

Erika -February 6, 2013, 12:06AM

Fantastic guest post–how cool to be able to guest post here! These totally look free people-y and yummy–such a creative twist on s’mores. I recently bought some unsweetened coconut for the first time and want to put it on anything and everything–pancakes, cookies, cake….these… :)

Jason -February 9, 2013, 3:26AM

S’more

Ayumi -February 11, 2013, 3:59PM

THESE LOOK AWESOME!! I prefer eating chocolate with some fruit so these smores are perfect! I saw these on Izy’s blog and loved them! came by to see the recipe!

deidre -February 22, 2013, 3:05PM

Just made these and they were amazing… except they look like crap because I couldn’t get them off the foil (Yes, I greased it like mad!)! The stuck to the foil like crazy. With that said, there will be a next time and I will attempt something else instead of foil. Maybe a silicone pan. or maybe even a pan made out of lard itself. SUPER sticky and gooey and so good!

Kelly -March 6, 2013, 11:29PM

These look awesome! One question, should the shredded coconut be unsweetened or sweetened?

Erin -June 4, 2013, 11:25AM

I just made these squares, and although they turned out quite good, the crust is pretty soggy. It seemed that when I roasted the bananas in the oven they got a bit watery and then when I added them to the crust it absorbed some of the water.

Did anyone else have the same problem? Any tips or tricks?

susan -August 18, 2013, 12:57PM

Well – these were quite photogenic – but in reality this recipe was very disappointing. The crust was the only tasty thing about them, and yes, it was a little soggy.

They were difficult to remove from the foil (had to throw half away). Disclaimer – I didn’t use spray, I greased with butter.

It honestly wasn’t a good flavor.

Great photos and layout though – kudos.

bob -September 22, 2013, 12:52AM

mouse

Rosa -March 24, 2014, 4:19PM

Just made these, and I used a foil pie pan. I am just going to serve it like a pie instead of trying to take it off. So, far it isn’t stuck to the pan, but I just took it out of the oven. It smells yummy. I’m allergic to bananas, so I won’t be tasting it, but I hope it tastes as good as it looks and smells.

Lisa -May 22, 2014, 4:30PM

A friend made these and brought them over to share – my husband and I had 2 pieces each and I quickly put the rest in the freezer before we went back for more…. Which I did the very next day! These were also amazing frozen – sweet, chewy and oh! so! delicious!