Our recipe theme for the month is foods of every color, and we kicked it off this week with Kelsi’s delicious recipe for Green Goddess Guacamole. To go along with our colorful food recipes I wanted to share some of our favorite foods of each color, and their many amazing benefits!
In addition to delicious avocado, featured in Kelsi’s recipe, some of my favorite green foods are kale, spinach, broccoli, cucumbers, and edamame. These five things are also very good for you, and part of that has a lot to do with the fact that they are green!
The benefits of eating green:
– Green foods are powerful antioxidants (especially broccoli and spinach) that protect the body from toxins both in the environment and other foods we eat. The antioxidants in greens help neutralize the body and clear out toxins.
– Green foods are rich in chlorophyll, a green pigment that also acts as a detox agent in the body. It also happens to be a natural deodorizer that can aid with bad breath! The darker the shade of green the more chlorophyll is in something, and the best way to get it is from raw vegetables like broccoli.
– Greens are very rich in minerals and some of the most essential nutrients: calcium, magnesium, potassium, and vitamins B, C, E, and K are found in green foods and are all vital to your body’s health.
– Greens contain many nutrients that help protect the immune system and fight off viruses and bacteria.
– Dark, leafy greens (think spinach and kale) are high in omega-3 fatty acids, which are vital for all body functions and lower bad cholesterol.
– Vegetables, especially green ones, help alkalize the body, keeping your PH at a healthy, stable level.
Looking for some yummy green recipes? Here are a few!
Broccoli Smoothie (Vegan & Gluten-Free)
Roasted Garlic & Kale Hummus (Vegan & Gluten-Free)
More healthy recipes from the BLDG 25 Blog!