Pomegranate Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies (Gluten-Free & Vegan)

Post image for Pomegranate Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies (Gluten-Free & Vegan)

This post is part of our restricted diet series from Beth of Tasty Yummies.

For as much as I enjoy traditional holiday cookies, I also get so excited about creating fun new flavor combinations. These cookies make me both happy, because of how great they taste, and bummed, because I haven’t been pairing pomegranates with chocolate up until now. What an amazing combo! You have to try it.

These cookies are both gluten-free and vegan (dairy-free and egg-free too, obviously) so they make the perfect treat for a party with folks that have varying dietary restrictions. They are chewy and they have an amazing burst of bright flavor whenever you bite into the pomegranate seeds.

Be sure to look for certified gluten-free rolled oats and certified vegan chocolate chips!

What kinds of cookies are you making this holiday season?

pomegranate oatmeal chocolate chip cookies

Pomegranate Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies (Gluten-Free and Vegan)
makes about 18 – 24 cookies

2 tablespoons ground flax seed (aka flax meal) + 6 tablespoons hot water
1 cup certified gluten-free rolled oats
1/2 cup blanched almond flour
1/4 cup sweet rice flour
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup coconut sugar (or you can use another granulated sugar)
1/4 cup maple syrup (or other liquid sweetener of your choice)
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup vegan bittersweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup pomegranate seeds

pomegranate oatmeal chocolate chip cookies

Preheat oven to 350º F. Line one or two cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Mix the ground flax seeds with the hot water, set aside to thicken.

Meanwhile add the rolled oats, almond and sweet rice flours, sea salt, baking powder, baking soda, coconut sugar and sea salt to the bowl of your standup mixer or a large mixing bowl. Mix together until well combined.

In a small bowl whisk together the melted coconut oil, maple syrup and flax seed mixture. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until it’s all very well incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips and pomegranate seeds by hand.

Drop the dough, by rounded tablespoon, onto your parchment-paper-lined cookie sheet. Leave about two inches between each cookie. Bake the cookies for 12-15 minutes until lightly golden brown.

Let the cookies cool on the pan for about 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooking rack to finish cooling.

pomegranate oatmeal chocolate chip cookies

For more of Beth’s recipes visit her blog Tasty Yummies.

More healthy recipes from the BLDG 25 Blog.

Tags: , , , , ,

Comments

Juliette Laura -December 19, 2013, 8:25AM

Oh goodness these look absolutely delicious! Definitely giving them a try, along with some chocolate mint, homemade oreo, and gingerbread cookies.

xo, Juliette Laura

Lauryn -December 19, 2013, 10:37AM

Oh, these look amazing! I’ll have to modify them a bit- my family does not tolerate vegan or gluten free food- but these are definitely getting made.

http://wierdshaped.blogspot.co.at/ -December 19, 2013, 2:13PM

Oatmeal cookies for the win! Looks delicious.
Cheers
J

Where weird shapes happen: http://weirdshaped.blogspot.dk/

Mykaela -December 19, 2013, 7:51PM

I so appreciate the restricted diet recipes on here! Such great creative ideas. Thanks!

Lily -December 20, 2013, 8:37AM

My kids are allergic to nuts. What can I use instead of almond flour? Coconut flour?

Emelyn -December 22, 2013, 4:51PM

I made these for the first time 2 days ago, and my family literally ate the entire batch in about 10 minutes flat. My brothers keep asking when I’m going to make them again! I have left over pomegranate seeds so I’ll be making them soon! Thanks for sharing this!

VaGF -December 23, 2013, 7:41AM

I have not tried to make these yet, I know there is a trick to getting pomegranate seeds out, I’ll have to look up. But Lily I wanted to let you know do not substitute the almond flour with coconut flour – coconut flour sucks up moisture and would throw the recipe off greatly. I’ve heard sorghum or another medium weight gluten free flour would work best as a sub for almond flour, but I haven’t tried anything yet, just please don’t use coconut flour or you will have to change a lot with the rest of the recipe too. Good luck!

Alyson @Vintage Sunshine -December 29, 2013, 8:22PM

Wow. Those look and sound amazing! And, we’re going tomorrow for testing for my son to find out if we need to go GF! Either way, I’ll be making these!

Suzanne -February 14, 2014, 4:06PM

Hi Beth,
I made your Pomegranate Chocolate Chip Oatmeal cookies and you were right! What an amazing combination…very yummy!! I even froze 1/2 cup of pomegranate seed to make these at a later date when I may not be able to find pomegranates in this frozen north country.
Thanks again for an excellent recipe.
Suzanne

Sharyn -October 5, 2014, 12:55AM

Yum! After baking, because of the seeds being moist, what would be the best way to store them? Curious if fridge or just in a ziploc on the counter?