Chocolate Chia Seed Superfood Pudding (Gluten-Free & Vegan)

Post image for Chocolate Chia Seed Superfood Pudding (Gluten-Free & Vegan)

This post is part of our restricted diet series from Beth of Tasty Yummies.

There are few things in this world that I absolutely crave, but a good quality chocolate treat is definitely one.

With all the Valentine’s Day chocolate recipes floating around the interweb, my chocolate cravings have been crazier than ever. After making some brownies last week, I decided it was time to come up with a creative and healthy chocolate recipe, to satisfy the cravings and give me some other goodness in the process.

This simple to make raw cacao chocolate chia seed pudding is decadent while being totally good for you. That’s a combination I can always get behind. Chia seeds have a high density of omega 3 fatty acids, they are high in protein, they are full of antioxidants and minerals, like calcium (surprisingly up to 3 times more than a serving of milk), and they are naturally anti-inflammatory. The consistency of a chia seed pudding is very similar to tapioca — gelatinous, thick, and creamy — and the seeds themselves produce a really great texture. This pudding is great as breakfast, a snack or dessert.

To really amp up the superfood qualities on this pudding, you can really have fun with the toppings or add-ins, see the suggestions below.

chocolate chia pudding

Chocolate Chia Seed Superfood Pudding - Gluten-free and Vegan

serves 2

1 1/4 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk (almond or coconut are my personal favs)

1/4 cup chia seeds

3 tablespoons raw cacao powder (baking cocoa will also work)

Dash of pink Himalayan sea salt

1 tablespoon organic maple syrup or raw honey

Dark Chocolate shavings for garnish

chocolate chia pudding

Add all of the ingredients to a large glass jar with a lid, give it a quick stir, then put the lid on. Shake it like crazy to mix it all up. Refrigerate until very thick and pudding-like, at least 4 hours or overnight, shaking or stirring occasionally. Serve the pudding chilled with whatever topping you’d like. See my suggestions below.

Optional add ins/toppings: crystallized ginger, goji berries, nut butter, coconut, fresh citrus, bananas, nuts, pomegranate seeds, whipped coconut cream.

chocolate chia pudding

For more of Beth’s recipes visit her blog Tasty Yummies.

More healthy recipes from the BLDG 25 Blog.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Comments

Ella Wild -February 20, 2014, 7:47AM

Sounds great, going to add this to my FPBlog Recipe book.
come on weekend! i need some relatively guilt-free chocolate in my life.
I’m going to start with a mocha coffee right now! lol

Ella Wild xoxo,
Visit my store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/HeartJewelryAlways

Becky Miller -February 20, 2014, 9:17AM

This looks so delicious! I’m definitely going to try it this week.

LamentingLizzie -February 20, 2014, 10:00AM

YES PLEASE! So, since this dessert is so healthy, I can eat it for dinner, right?!

Ashley -February 20, 2014, 12:27PM

This is almost the exact same as the recipe this here gluten-free lass has cherished since discovering it! It is sooo very tasty!
3 little recommendations:
Add 1/2 to 1 banana (frozen is extra fun) in there – it gives it this subtle extra of flavor and thickness in texture that is divine.. you can blend it together with all ingredients except the chia seeds, then hand mix those in after
– Also, if you use the frozen banana, it helps speed up the process of the pudding developing, and you can eat a small portion of it after only 1 or 2 hours usually – ’cause sometimes a girl just wants to indulge her craving asap! ;)

Add vanilla and/or a dash of cinnamon.. yum! again, more delish complexity of flavor if you desire..

For sweetener, you can also use (maple) agave syrup or even stevia if you want to stay away from natural sweetener w/sugar in it altogether. That said, honey as recommended, has its healthy benefits and amazing taste as well!

Cheers!!

katie -February 20, 2014, 8:26PM

This looks amazing, but I think I’d add some chocolate protein powder to this to give it some really great health benefits, because after looking up nutritional info this is mostly sugar!

Letty -February 20, 2014, 10:11PM

This looks delicious but I wouldn’t call it vegan if you suggest putting honey in it, even if it’s raw

Sabrina -February 21, 2014, 1:07AM

Just made it. Thanks :) Felt the energy. I felt it needed to be sweeter so I added an extra tblspn of honey.

Tereza -February 21, 2014, 5:38AM

That looks absolutely amazing! Definitely would satisfy a chocolate craving!

Anonymous -February 21, 2014, 7:25AM

Omit the honey and use stevia or xylitol and you have a great sugar free snack!!

Becky Miller -February 21, 2014, 1:01PM

I made this yesterday (as soon as I read the post I went to whole foods for chia seeds) and I can’t get over how good it tastes and completely guilt free!! If you like the taste of dark chocolate like me, the amount of honey added is perfect, but my husband preferred a little bit more honey in it for added sweetness. He also suggested adding raspberries in it, which I will be trying. Thank you so much for sharing this, it is awesome!!!

Beth @ Tasty Yummies -February 21, 2014, 7:56PM

So glad everyone is loving this recipe!! <3

@lamenting lizzie – DUH!! :)

@ashley – thanks for all the lovely suggestions, I love the idea of adding the banana and blending. Yum!

@katie – it shouldn't be *mostly* sugar if your almond milk is unsweetened and the only sweetener you add is maple or honey. Outside of the dark chocolate shavings, the pudding just as is, isn't all sugar at all.

@letty – it is totally vegan, when made with the maple syrup, the raw honey is just an alternative.

@sabrina – yeh it is so hard to account for everyone's sweetness preference, and if the non-dairy milk is sweetened at all. I don't love overly sweet things so it is definitely possible that one may want this sweeter. I am so glad you liked it.

Deanna @ DB and Jelly -February 22, 2014, 10:02AM

I’ve been looking for chia seed pudding recipes and this looks awesome! Super easy and fast too. I can’t wait to try it!

Byer -February 23, 2014, 12:45PM

Love chia pudding! I have it for brekky most mornings with fruit & switching between green tea matcha powder & cacao powder.

Kristina Mendez -February 24, 2014, 12:36AM

This recipe is SOOO delicious! Added some cinnamon and used Califia’s Coconut Almond milk blend. Thanks FP :D

Amanda -February 25, 2014, 3:56AM

Hi guys! How can I alternate chia seeds in case they are unavailable for me to find in the local shops?

Tereza -March 5, 2014, 7:27AM

This looks so delicious! Definitely will be making this as a dessert for the next dinner party. Love how simple and healthy the ingredients. Will make everyone’s tummies happy!

Christel -March 27, 2014, 10:14PM

So I tried this recipe with cocoa powder instead of raw cacao pwder because I didn’t have any, and it didn’t taste good… The cocoa taste was way too strong. Is it because I didn’t use raw cacao? I’ve never tried it so I don’t know the difference… I think 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder would have been enough.

mary -March 29, 2014, 5:19PM

I am about to make this, because after reading it how could I not?!

Is there a place I can click for a print friendly version? I’d love that.

Natalie -March 30, 2014, 1:48PM

Oooh my! Amazing! I will make this and post it on my page referring you.

Thanks!!

-Natalie

tracey -March 31, 2014, 7:42PM

Ooh la yum! I’m so excited to make this healthy dessert but I’ll use vanilla almond milk and stevia. I’m literally signing off to make it now, thanks so much for sharing!

Amanda poggi -April 4, 2014, 2:27AM

Looks amazing!! Is this pudding also low-carb?

astral -April 6, 2014, 1:57PM

Hi,
I use this product last couple of month. It is quite good. You may use this product.

Thank you.